How often have you had to cancel your trip? Help in deciding UY!!

Here's another idea about an un-ideal UY: don't book on-site stays during the last few months of your UY, if possible.

We got a June UY when we bought direct from Disney and didn't know any better (I'm still okay with the price, but the UY month thing and not having multiple contracts kind of bugs me, but oh well.)

We travel in the fall or early winter for our "big" trip each year, but also like to do a shorter May trip. I just don't use my DVC points for that May trip, and we stay off-site. Do I look longingly at my "home"? ::yes::

Its kind of annoying to know that if I'd been able to pick a different UY I could book some May travel with borrowed or banked points without having to worry about renting them out if for whatever reason that trip gets cancelled (eg DH's boss changes his mind, etc). But it is what it is, overall we're happy with our DVC and feel getting the contract when we did for the price we did was worthwhile.

Does MS allow someone to use the one-time banking exception when cancelling a trip 31 days or less from check-in? It seems the reason for the holding account is because when a trip is cancelled so close to check-in, it's likely the room will go unused. Consequently, the member is limited to using those returned points for last-minute reservations only. Allowing the member to bank those points would circumvent that.

No, you are correct, points for a trip canceled within 31 days or less from check-in go into holding and holding points cannot be banked. However, it is possible to pass your banking window, be outside of the 31 days and have to cancel. In that case you could apply for the late banking exemption. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!!! The DIS is the best! :goodvibes

It sounds like if we're thoughtful and careful with our planning, we should be able to work around whatever UY we get. I was looking at an October UY and I'm thinking maybe if we end up vacationing in the summers only when our girls get into the high school or college years (*if* they're still willing to go to WDW with their crazy parents :), well, we'll just trade or rent points. Or add on more points at that time ;)

ELMC said:
You bring up a good point, though, which is that having 2 different UYs allows you the flexibility to book trips at different times during the year. People talk about the downside of having 2 UYs from a management standpoint, but this is actually one of the positives.

That is our experience also. We have adjusted trips all the time and cancelled a few. So far, not an issue but, as we get older, I view having the flexibility as significant.

Marty

No, you are correct, points for a trip canceled within 31 days or less from check-in go into holding and holding points cannot be banked. However, it is possible to pass your banking window, be outside of the 31 days and have to cancel. In that case you could apply for the late banking exemption. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.
I've read a few posts where people were allowed to use the one-time banking exception but I can't recall seeing any posts where this was allowed with holding points, but thought it possible I missed something. MS is not consistent on these things so I thought someone might have been granted an extraordinary exception at some point.

I guess my point was that situations can arise within 30 days or less of check-in such as a child getting the flu or a close relative passing away unexpectedly. It's unlikely in that case (within 30 days) to be able to get a banking exception so it helps to have a convenient Use Year. As our situation was unfolding (it started more than 30 days out) I didn't sweat over whether to cancel at 31 days from check-in because I would have a full year to use those holding points. I really did not want to cancel the trip and it was such a relief with everything else that was going on at the time to be able to wait until the last possible moment to make the decision whether or not to take the trip.

I realize that for members who have small children the travel schedule will change over the years so it's a challenge (and maybe not even possible) to figure out what UY would work best. In our case we knew our schedule was unlikely to change making it easy to pick something that works well for us.

I've read a few posts where people were allowed to use the one-time banking exception but I can't recall seeing any posts where this was allowed with holding points, but thought it possible I missed something. MS is not consistent on these things so I thought someone might have been granted an extraordinary exception at some point.

I think we're saying the same thing here. Points go into holding status if you cancel within 31 days and you cannot bank holding points.

I think we're saying the same thing here. Points go into holding status if you cancel within 31 days and you cannot bank holding points.
Yes we are. I just thought it would be helpful for the OP if we pointed out that the banking exception would most likely not be an option if a trip is cancelled within 30 days but was allowing for the possibility that I missed a post or two somewhere where someone was allowed to do it.

We usually travel in Fall and Winter and have a February UY. Ack!

One year, we had an after Thanksgiving trip planned to Hilton Head, and didn't really have the money for a full WDW trip so we needed to go to HH.

So...then Dad had to have emergency aortic valve replacement surgery with complications. He had his first aortic valve replacement in September which had gotten infected. It was touch and go.

We had to call Hilton Head and ask for the one time emergency forgiveness which we got. We then took the trip over MLK Jr. weekend in January. Hilton Head temperature -- 17 degrees. :cold: We went anyway.

Needless to say...if we had a UY later than February ...we would have put the trip off again!

Use year is not that important to me. I do have all my contracts all with the same use year for a managment perspective because it was easier at the time, but now I don't worry about it too much. We travel all through the year, so its hard to nail down one use year. And now that my son is in activities/school we will probably travel even more erratically. I just take a calculated risk that *if* we need to cancel once or twice over the 50 years of the contract and lose those points, it will still be just a small drop in the bucket and isn't something to get overly worried about.

If had a much more predictable travel schedule, use year would matter to us more.

Another factor with use year is borrowing power. I have a friend who had an August use year. Seemed fine until she decided August was too hot and wanted to go in June right after the kids go out of school. She was usually borrowed ahead. So she couldn't go in June because her next year points could not be borrowed until August. So unless she skipped a year to get caught up, she had to go 8-1 or after.

Another factor with use year is borrowing power. I have a friend who had an August use year. Seemed fine until she decided August was too hot and wanted to go in June right after the kids go out of school. She was usually borrowed ahead. So she couldn't go in June because her next year points could not be borrowed until August. So unless she skipped a year to get caught up, she had to go 8-1 or after.

That just happened to us.

I just paid out of pocket to stay at Wilderness Lodge because of an early January conference in Orlando and a February UY. For our reservation, we could have borrowed 12points, and could borrow our full 100 points for stays on or after February 1st.

Will this lead to addonitis?....don't know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter