How often does the "upgrade fairy" appear?

allonte

DIS Veteran
DH and I usually sail on Carnival. We always do the stateroom guarantee option. I'm content to get an inside cabin because we're rarely in there so that's what we pay for. The last 3 times we've cruised, we've been upgraded to an ocean view. For this cruise, we paid for an ocean view and will be very happy with that but what are the chances of getting upgraded to a veranda cabin? I didn't see an option for the guarantee although I've read that they have them. I was just wondering what your collective experiences were. We'll be on the Dream if that makes a difference.

Upgrades are based on DCL's inventory needs and there is no system that any of us have figured out. The best way to hazzard a guess if you have a chance of an upgrade is to check on DCL's website to see if you can figure out how fast the cruise is sailing or if it's a full cruise and categories above you are already sold out.

We've been on DCL 11 cruises and have only been upgraded once and that was on a Feb. 2000 cruise that was not even half full.

Upgrades are fairly rare on typical sailings. MOST cruises on DCL sail full or nearly so because if the ship isn't filling DCL will offer specials to CMs, travel agents, etc. in addition to the more common FL resident and military discounts. They do a good job of getting most of the cabins filled. As you noted, each guest should book a cabin where he/she will be happy. If the upgrade fairy comes to visit, consider it a bonus. Do not book with the thought that you will/might be upgraded.

My guess--first season on the Dream, that ship will be full all the time, so almost no upgrades.

We were upgraded twice in our first 19 or 20 DCL cruises. In 2010 we got upgraded twice, but both were on repositioning cruises where they ship was not full.

We've cruised many times with other lines and never gotten an upgrade. This is our first experience with DCL and and we've had lots of pixie dust! We booked a Cat. 12 GTY (standard inside) and ended up with a Cat.10. (Deluxe Inside) Then we just added another cabin, also Cat. 12 GTY and ended up with a Cat.8!! That is an unexpected Deluxe Oceanview! We are thrilled! We would have been happy to just be anywhere on the ship but I'm very excited about the upgrades!

I have been waiting for the fairy to visit me...But so far nothing. I wont be disapointed if we dont get one but we can always check everyday to see if our room number has changed on our reservation!

I have been waiting for the fairy to visit me...But so far nothing. I wont be disapointed if we dont get one but we can always check everyday to see if our room number has changed on our reservation!

Lol. That's part of the fun! I never checked before. We'd just go to the room and be like :banana::banana::banana:!

We've been on 5 Disney cruises with no upgrades.

I think upgrades seem more "common" on this board as those who get the rare upgrades are excited and want to share with those who will appreciate it.

Although I've seen people post about upgrades from all types of staterooms (Cat 12 through 4) and even connecting stateroom upgrades, the most common upgrades seem to be GTY 12's. Cat 12's only sleep 3, so if you are a family of 4 who books a Cat 12, you will automatically be upgraded. I think "Cat 12's" are often used by DCL for inventory to help fill up an empty ship.

In October 2008, we booked Cat12 GTY and got upgraded to Cat9 Oceanview - FABULOUS!

In October 2010, we booked Cat11 GTY and ended up in the same category.

Having the 1st upgrade made us spoiled, and resulted in a little disappointment.

But, we were on the Magic and had a great time!!

I have to agree I have sailed 8 times and have only been upgraded twice (the first time was the second year the Magic sailed way back in 1999 and it didn't sail full). I currently have an oceanview gty cabin booked on the Dream for April and am holding my breath. It seems the lesser expensive cabins (inside & oceanview) are selling out first, so that should leave some balconies avail for upgrades. But, we'll see.....

I have to agree I have sailed 8 times and have only been upgraded twice (the first time was the second year the Magic sailed way back in 1999 and it didn't sail full). I currently have an oceanview gty cabin booked on the Dream for April and am holding my breath. It seems the lesser expensive cabins (inside & oceanview) are selling out first, so that should leave some balconies avail for upgrades. But, we'll see.....

Same for my sailing. I called reservations to see if I could switch mine to gty. I asked how many more cabins were left in my category and she said 4. You can't even buy them online anymore. Either way, we'll be thrilled to be on the ship at all, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter