1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

How much would you tip?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by dex08, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Eastern

Eastern DIS Veteran

I don't tip on appliance delivery/installation.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. irishsharon

irishsharon DIS Veteran

I give $10-$20 depending on how much work they have to do.:offtopic:Just thinking of the holidays how much for sanitation workers we get a holiday postcard from them every December.We give $20 per worker.I think whats funny is that with teachers,bus drivers,den leader,and on and on......dh and I don't even exchange gifts to stay on budget ......just thinking out loud:)

4. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

It's not as if the delivery people get the delivery fee. That goes to the store, not the guys lugging appliances and furniture around.

I don't know where the idea that delivery people make "well over minimum" comes from. I've known a couple; they didn't make a lot.

I tip because they DON'T make a lot, they do hard, physical labour and because that's what you do - as someone said, if it's delivered (save a couple very specific things like mail or FedEx or etc.), you tip.

Tip the food delivery, grocery delivery, dry cleaning, liquor store, etc. If they go out in the whatever weather, lugging the crap I didn't want to, they get a tip. :confused3

5. pantherlj

pantherlj DIS Veteran

I tipped $10 and then 3 loads of laundry later realized they hooked up the hot and cold water backward!!!

Home Depot gave me a small credit back on my purchase for the ruined items. So, just double check to make sure they are hooked up right before you put 100% cotton shirts in a "cold" wash :)

6. dawnhaze

dawnhaze DIS Veteran

The only time I've ever tipped for furniture delivery is the time the guys had to haul a washer/dryer combo unit up 2 flights of stairs (the elevator was broken) and take the door off my apartment to get it inside.

7. njmom47

njmom47 <font color=blue>He's such a fiend!<br><font color

When we had dds beds delivered, the guys had to bring one upstairs and one to the basement bedroom. They set up both beds, and we tipped each guy $10. We also tipped the guys who delivered our washer and dryer (and lugged them downstairs to the back of the basement) $10 bucks each as well. We just always do. :confused3

8. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

This issue is discussed on this board all the time. Some people tip, some (IMO cheapskates) don't.

These people work hard. I recently had a love seat delivered and tipped ($20 - $10 each to two guys).

9. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

No, this is not how tipping originated. The custom existed long before the minimum wage was even imagined.

10. sherry7

sherry7 DIS Veteran

^^That^^

I just had a new washer and dryer delivered last weekend. I offered the 2 delivery men bottled water, which they seemed to appreciate. Before the DIS, I had heard of anyone tipping for appliance delivery, furniture delivery, etc.

11. dex08

dex08 DIS Veteran

OP here - Thanks for everyone's responses!

DH tipped the delivery/installation guys $10 each = $20 total.

While we did receive free installation and haul away, we felt the two delivery guys were outstanding, very helpful with our questions (even un-related questions to the install), and did a great job. They were both very grateful for the tip, and also much surprised when DH handed it to them (at least they seemed to be). I guess some people tip, some people don't and they must be used to it.

12. johnnymo99

johnnymo99 Mouseketeer

I would change your sentence around. "Some people tip(IMO stupid), some(smart) don't!"

13. Sam's_Mom

Sam's_Mom Mouseketeer

We tip if we feel that our "job" is asking more than normal--going up stairs, taking doors off etc.