How much walking at San Gervasion on Cozumel?

sammatt

Mouseketeer
We are considering taking a taxi to San Gervasio, so we can have a bit of a Mayan ruins experience without making it an all day affair. However, my dad broke his hip a year ago, and has trouble walking for long periods of time. For those who have done it, how would you describe the walking required at the ruins? Thanks for your help!!

I just got back, and went to this site as part of a DCL excursion.

The terrain is kind of rough. There are some "paved" pathways, but most of it is dirt/grass, with occasional uneven rocky paths. The good news is that the site is relatively compact, so there isn't a LOT of walking I didn't think.

As the linked post says, I highly recommend the guide. We had one as part of our excursion, and can't imagine viewing them without the guide. He had a lot of insight and knowledge about the history of the Mayans.

We've been to the ruins twice, once with a guide and once without. Each time we go to Cozumel we hire a driver for the day to take us around the island. Last year we had a driver for 5hrs and saw more of the island then we saw on 2 previous trips. You can get a driver for $80 3hrs +$20each additional hour. This way you are not rushed. We spent around 1.5hrs at the ruins on each trip. As previously stated the grounds are uneven and there can be some walking if you go to the structures on the far end but there are plenty of places to rest. San Gervasio is nothing like the ruins on the mainland. The Mayans used this area to worship the Gods of Fertility. Cost to get into the ruins $6 and guide $25.

Has anyone recently been on the Disney Cozumel Highlights & Mayan Ruins Tour?

If so, how was it? How was the safety of the transportation?

Did you feel that it was worth the $52 price?

Were any drinks or snacks provided? It is a 4hr+ tour, so I am wondering about being away from the ship that length of time in Mexico.

Thanks for any comments & tips!

Has anyone recently been on the Disney Cozumel Highlights & Mayan Ruins Tour?

If so, how was it? How was the safety of the transportation?

Did you feel that it was worth the $52 price?

Were any drinks or snacks provided? It is a 4hr+ tour, so I am wondering about being away from the ship that length of time in Mexico.

Thanks for any comments & tips!

I would love to hear about this as well. We currently have it scheduled for our upcoming cruise.

Does anyone recommend a particular company where we can hire our own driver to tour Cozumel on our own ? We're there next week (Thursday) - Feb 14. Thanks

I've read some reviews that the ruins and discover Mexico is better than the Cozumel highlights...

We are doing this one...

Now need to figure out what to do in cayman. Kids want to go to Hell and that's about it...

Our snorkeling excursion on Cozumel was rained out last week, so we hired a taxi van for a tour of the island and it was pretty good. For four adults and a child in stroller, we paid the taxi driver $100. Plus we paid $8 each out of pocket at San Gervasio ruins. We visited a tequila tasting (didn't buy), then to the ruins for a good long stop (you can also hire a ruins guide for about $18 if I remember correctly), then we headed for a drive along the coast, where we made a brief stop at El Mirador. The Cozumel coast is just beautiful, IMO. Bring good water shoes if you plan to make this stop, these are rocky beaches and you can get hurt in sandals. Then we were back to town, where it was pouring a hard rain, so I don't know if the tours usually include anything else. For $25 per person plus driver tip, it was a good value.

We passed the guys who were right as we got off the ship and went to the back of the Punta Langosta mall area. There's a taxi stand with a list of prices to various places on the island.

Now you can hire guides who speak English well and will actually guide you. We did not get that guy. Lol. Our driver just spoke a little English. But he was friendly and helpful and polite. I would recommend the taxi tour to anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

su_A_ve said:
I've read some reviews that the ruins and discover Mexico is better than the Cozumel highlights...

We are doing this one...

Now need to figure out what to do in cayman. Kids want to go to Hell and that's about it...

We did the ship's Cayman Tour and it was good. We had a good driver, and he stopped at Hell and we also got entrance into the Turtle Farm, where we got to hold baby turtles. Lots of kids there and they seemed to love it. Then we walked across the road to the Dolphin Discovery place to watch people do their encounters. For $25 you can get your photo with a dolphin kissing you. Then it was back on the bus. Driver dropped some folks off at Seven Mile Beach, and they were on their own for transport back to the ship. And we headed back to town. I think the price was about right for a ship excursion. It didn't seem overpriced and it included our turtle farm entrance fee, plus we got a good history overview from our driver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

I would love to hear about this as well. We currently have it scheduled for our upcoming cruise.

We also have this tour booked. Would love to hear about the tequilla tasting portion of it too. I know the website they have a pinata for the kids but what about adults who don't drink tequilla? Hope it's worth the $52...

We took the DCL Cozumel Highlights & Mayan Tour last May. (Also took the DCL GC Tour w/Hell & Turtle Farm then, too.) We enjoyed them both as a way to see an overview of the island in a short time. If I recall, the walking tour around San Gervasio ruins took about 45 minutes. I enjoyed the tour guide's commentary, once I ignored the mosquitos.

If you have not read this anywhere else, I strongly recommend you bring a bottle of mosquito repellent when visiting the ruins. Although I read the DISboards regularly, I was completely unaware of the huge mosquito population at this site until we arrived and were offered $1 for a 'spray-down' or a $6 aerosol can from the gift shop. (Don't let this deter you from visiting though - After a $1 spray, I didn't get one bite, and I was wearing a tank top and skirt that day.:eek:)

There is a summary of both excursions in my online Mediafire folder... Click on the '5/2012' link in my signature, and then open the 'excursions' pdf file in that folder. Have a great vacation! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter