How much to groom a dog?

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
I've never had a dog groomed before but now I have a large guy who is very hard to get in the tub and was wondering what the going rate is?

It varies so much. I have a Bichon (10 lb.) and a Havanese (22 lb.). I pay $48 each + tip. If they are matted, it costs more. This is in Central Virginia. I have a friend who has a golden doodle (he's 70 lbs and hyper). She pays about $100. Mobile groomers I've looked into seem to cost a lot more.

It varies by region, type of dog, and what grooming services you need. If your dog just needs a bath, blow dry, and nails clipped you may pay around $30 (no haircut and no dematting) for a medium sized dog but it's hard to say without knowing what breed you have. If your dog is giant, it could be $45 or more for that. If they have any matting or need a haircut, expect to pay quite a bit more.

I groom my two Maltese (tiny dogs) myself but if I were to have them groomed, it would be about $45 each for a full groom and probably $30 for a bath.

I'd say to expect around $50 for a dog the size of a lab but you can also just call around and ask, they will give you a quote over the phone. Mobile groomers are usually a little more expensive, but in my area they're only about $10 more. Make sure your dog is updated on vaccinations as most groomers require a copy of their records before allowing you to have them groomed. :)

It costs $50 each (plus tip) for my miniature schnauzers to get baths, haircuts, nails clipped and teeth brushed. This is in Maryland.

We use a local groomer and it is 35 per dog (min. schnauzer). Might be more for bigger dog.

It costs $50 each (plus tip) for my miniature schnauzers to get baths, haircuts, nails clipped and teeth brushed. This is in Maryland.
That is so interesting because NONE of the groomers in our area include teeth brushing. Our groomer just went from $40 to $45 as of 1/1. But if you return within 6 weeks you get a 10% discount. They are a bargain for our area many charge $55 and up. I have a 12.5 lb cockapoo and am in MD.
They do beautiful work and my dog loves going there. She gets excited. So I know they treat her well. And I once ran into the groomer at the vet's office. She handed her own puppy over to dote on my dog who was so excited to see her. That confirmed to me, she was a great match. She cared about my dog. She wasn't just a source of money. :)

Really depends on the dog and the cut required. I'd say it ranges from $40-$60 +tip. I've paid as low $38 (first time) for a horrible cut and trim, all the way to $55. Biggest thing I can suggest is, if you find a groomer you like, stick with them.

Just paid $50 for my golden retriever. He got a bath, brush, nail trim and overall hair trim.

DS and his fiancee pay $35 to have their 15 pound poodle groomed. No tooth brushing, but they do express the glands at the other end if you know what I mean.

I pay $32 to have my dog groomed : shampoo, clipped, nails (including dew claws), ears cleaned, and anal glands expressed (I'm happy that she does that). My groomer does not charge more if my dog has any mats, but she may end up with shorter hair if so. I have a 10 lb Shih-Tzu and live in MA. I give our 62 lb Yellow Lab baths myself, and taught her to accept a dremel to groom her nails - which I also do myself.

I keep my golden's coat in great shape so her groom consists of a bath, slight trim, nails dremeled, ear and teeth cleaning for $65.

I have learned to do all of these services for my little Morkie. I was paying $65 ish.

I have a mobile groomer, she bathes , shaves , nails and cleans out the sac area. I pay 60, so worth it not having to go out myself.

We usually pay $40-$50 for our Shih tzu to be groomed every 3-4 months... But we finally invested in a DIY kit and are learning to do it ourselves!

Our dog "spa" days run us about $110. This is baths, nail trim, glands drained, for 5 dogs. Anywhere from a 5lb Pomeranian to a 65lb boxer/poodle mix.

Monthly grooming for the pom runs $40 to turn him into his lion cut.

We are in the Mid West, non metro area.

We have a bichon ****zu. We pay about $60. This includes a bath, cut, nails, teeth brushing, ear cleaning and a "blueberry facial"

Whoa, I need to thank our groomer! We have a Shih Tzu in full coat. Molly is $20 but does go once a week. Some weeks it's just a bath and trim around the eyes, others include a belly shave, nail trim and the anal gland thing. Molly never goes to the groomer matted though. I have to brush her/do her top knot every day anyway and try to do an extra good job before she goes to the groomer. This baffles DH but it's the same with me cleaning the hotel room before housekeeping arrives.

I am a dog groomer and I can tell you (I'm in NH) My grooms go any where from $35 (small dog bath) to $150+ (large dog groom) there is a VERY wide range of things in between. PLEASE don't judge your groomer based on price! There are no laws that regulate who can be a dog groomer in any state, so anyone can start washing dogs in their basement and call themselves a groomer. Go to their shop, watch them work, ask them questions, read reviews. Generally speaking the lower the price the less experience or less knowledgeable, you really want someone who knows what they are doing and who prides themself in what they do!

My Westie costs $47 for the whole kit and kaboodle (bath, cut, teeth brushing, nails, etc) and then I usually tip $10. I tried 4 different groomers of varying costs before I found someone who could correctly do a Westie pet cut. I would gladly pay more for a proper grooming rather than saving a little money.

RyleyRoo.jpg

Our groomer grew up grooming Shih Tzu for show so I'm pretty comfortable with her knowledge and level of experience. I'm sure we get a discount for being a weekly as well as a longstanding (over ten years) customer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter