• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much sun will we get with a west-facing pool?

Beccabunny

Mouseketeer
I finally pinpointed the location of the Windsor Hills townhouse we're renting in May and realized it has a west-facing pool. It's not an end unit. Will we get much sun?

Thats kind of hard to answer, without knowing where trees, etc are (which I would imagine most of us dont, including myself). But the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so the latter half of the day may give you sun.

I know you didn't ask this, but the pool facing south gets the most sun. That is why they put solar panels on the south side of a home..

Yes, I keep seeing townhouses that advertise a south-facing pool, and unfortunately this isn't one of them. Oh well, we'll be at the parks most of the day anyway. I don't know how much time we'll have to utilize the pool.

People advertise anything they can that gives them an advantage, but one thing people fail to consider, is that Florida is very south in terms of its latitude. In May, the sun is very high in the sky, almost directly overhead, so oftentimes even a north facing pool will get a lot of sun. In the winter months when the sun is lower in the sky, not as much, but ALL pools will get more sun in the summer months, due to the latitude and the fact that the sun is very high, almost directly overhead at that time of year.

The other thing to think about, ANY pool that's under a lanai (the screened in ones), is going to filter out the sun. A lanai acts as SPF10! If you really want to tan / sunbathe...then you're better off going to the community pool for maximum sun exposure, but we've never yet had a shortage of enough sun exposure on any of our trips to Florida, usually we're quite the opposite, trying to get some relief from it!

Good points. I have seen one homeowner advertise two townhouses as having south-facing pools, but the townhouses are on intersecting streets, and they're not corner units. Obviously only one of them can have a south-facing pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter