How much is wine in Publix?

lmountford

Mouseketeer
We will be arriving from the UK 13th Oct for a fortnight.
I have a voucher for 25 off 75 at wine.com and considered having some delivered to resort. Prices start around $8 a standard size bottle
( 75 cl ) plus $10 delivery . However we don't want that many bottles.

Does anyone know much a moderately decent chardonnay or white zinfandel would be in publix which is where our grocery stop will be? I am reluctant to waste the coupon but suspect I may not get the best deal with it.

Now I'm worried that everyone will think I'm too fond of the sauce :blush:

No worries....we hit the Pubs pretty good when we visited London last year!

You can get a decent 750 ml Aussie chardonnay for $8...and by decent I don't mean high end by any means, but definitely drinkable. The Yellow Tail isn't too bad in that range. A decent california white will run more like 10. But by going up to say 14-16 you'll have a much better bottle. White zin...haven't had that one in awhile, but I'm betting you could get a 1.5 liter in the $12-13 range.

I would just do publix though....they have a reasonable selection and you don't have to buy massive amounts.

Cheers!!

You're right on the button Tigger113 . Mum4jen I didn't realise this wasn't a common word in the US as well as the UK . I find the differences in the way the two countries use English really interesting. Thanks for all the great info dvcgirl . I'm afraid I'm probably not enough of an expert to appreciate a high end wine. I like comparatively sweet ( think cheap liebfraumilch, piesporter or hock) and preferably a pretty colour, hence the white zinfandel. My more sophisticated friends cosider my preferences an embarassment !

Well, I can't recall what wine goes for in the UK but from my purchases in other parts of Europe... be prepared for sticker shock no matter which way you go... A cheap wine is $10 or so a bottle here.

I also drink a white zinfandel. Publix has a good selection in many price ranges. Buy the wine there and skip the delivery charges, you'll save money. :flower3:

If you like something sweet, you might like Arbor Mist. Lots of different flavors and you should be able to get a nice size bottle for under $10.

You can get Arbor Mist for $7.99-$9.99 for 1.5 l at my Publix. I like the cheaper less dry wines also. I could really care less about the nuances, I just want to like what I drink. Publix carries Boone's farm and I think Mad Dog also,lol.

When you get back home, you should really try making some wine yourself. You can make a good Ice Wine "type" dessert wine for approximately $4-5 a bottle as opposed to $45 or more for the real thing.

We stop at Publix for food & wine on the way to BWV. The prices were very good. I get one good bottle of chard & a less expensive big bottle like Yellow Tail that lasts the whole trip. Next trip will be during Food & Wine so I don't think I'll stock up on wine. We'll be drinking enough. :dog2:

Many thx for all the replies. I hadn't taken into account that we are going during food and wine also and will be staying at Beach Club Villas for 3 of our 14 nights to benefit from the short walk to EPCOT.So that means I will need to buy even less at Publix :-)

lmountford said:
You're right on the button Tigger113 . Mum4jen I didn't realise this wasn't a common word in the US as well as the UK . I find the differences in the way the two countries use English really interesting. Thanks for all the great info dvcgirl . I'm afraid I'm probably not enough of an expert to appreciate a high end wine. I like comparatively sweet ( think cheap liebfraumilch, piesporter or hock) and preferably a pretty colour, hence the white zinfandel. My more sophisticated friends cosider my preferences an embarassment !

Heh, well we have friends who spend thousands of dollars a year on very expensive bottles of wine. Showing up with a bottle that is less than $50 at their homes is an outrage, so I know just what you mean. We do enjoy a nice bottle out with dinner when we go to a nice restaurant, but when we imbibe at home we're bargain hunters. There are some very nice bottles in the 15-25$ range, and in a pinch good ole Yellow Tail Shiraz for about 8 bucks is not so bad (we drink reds almost exclusively). With whites and white zins you can get by pretty cheap....you'll find a nice selection at publix...I wouldn't bother with the shipping thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter