How Much Extra Cash? Have the Dining Plan!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Emme, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Emme

Emme DIS Veteran

I need your help please... We have the free dining so lunch and dinner are taken care of, breakfast will probably be a breakfast bar in the room. we aren't big breakfast eaters. So how much extra should I bring? Can you think of any "hidden" costs I should be aware of other than souvenirs and an occasional drink?

Think hard everyone and please be specific in your amounts so we can be prepared. Thank you so much!

Emmy :wave2:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. thelionqueen

thelionqueen DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The Tag Fairy thr

How many are in your family..adults & Kids? That makes a difference in my opinion. Also your own personal spending habits will make other estimates off. But, all that said, here is what we budget.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 DS's 4 & 8). The main considerations for extra $$ for us are.

1. Rental Car
    2. Refillable Mugs (@ resort $13.00 each)
    3. Souvenirs - I budget $10 per day per person some days we spend more,
    some less
    4. Dole Whips/Fresh Dole Pineapple Juice - These are a MUST HAVE for all
    of us. If we are at MK we budget an extra $30.00 for Dole..not
    incl. :smooth:
    5. Wal-Mart items. We always make a stop at Wal-mart before we check-in
    to the room. We buy beach toys, towels, food (mostly breakfast) post
    cards and other extras. Usually around $50.00
    6. Photpass photos. We try to wait until we get home, but usually don't, so I
    budget $30.00 on photos.
    7. Extra snacks. We all tend to eat 2 snacks per day (popcorn & ice cream
    since only 1 snack is included, we budget $12 per day extra.
    8. Kids Clubs. My kids LOVE the kids clubs (almost more than anything else
    at Disney) so we have to MAJOR budget for 2 stays during our 10 day trip.
    For 2 clubs, 2 nights 5 hours each is $200.00. Much worth it, but big $$
    9. Water parks if you don't have option on pass. We have it on our passes
    but they are a MUST DO, if you have it or not..our family of 4 $95.00

Basically, we budge $150.00 per day above and beyond "prepaid" costs (rental car, room, tickets & food) which is not a ton, but enough for us.

Good luck!!

4. Emme

Emme DIS Veteran

Thanks Lionqueen!! Anyone else have any hidden costs that you can think of? Thanks!

5. hercamore

hercamore <font color=blue>beagle boy mom<br><font color=tea

Cash for tolls if you're driving from the airport.

Cash for misc at departing airport ....snacks, maybe.

herc.

6. LisaRay

LisaRay DIS Veteran

Well I am pretty cheap and we have been so many times that we don't require alot of souvineers so here are the things I can think of.

Tolls as mentioned above
    walmart trip $25 ( just some breakfast stuff and bottled water & misc.)
    gas for rental car
    egg roll from the cart in adventureland at MK $2.50 each. Yum!
    any additional sodas or waters especially if it is hot!
    arcade for kids at hotel!! we spent at least $20-$30 in here and the best time is during the day when everyone is at the parks.
    something from the barkery or the candy shop as they are not snacks on the plan.
    water mice rental, or surrey bike rental
    ride photos or when you enter the park pics.

Basically what I do is have a food budget ( before the meal plan) and a souvie budget and anything else I just charge to the room. I keep this within reason of course and just always plan an extra $100-$200 for those misc. things. Like the pics or just small little things that I am not thinking about when planning. Gives me a little buffer. It usually is closer to $100 than not and by allowing that buffer of things not planned for it allows me to say yes to some smaller things that I hadn't thought of ahead of time.

7. Colinsmom

Colinsmom DIS Veteran

Tips for the hotel staff - bellmen, Mousekeeping (some do it, some don't) - and ME folks.

8. becca011906

becca011906 DIS Veteran

Good thread i'm looking for our hiddend costs too! :) We are leaving in 2 weeks and still trying to get out budget down...
    I'm thinking
    $100 a day on food in parks or out of park resturants (w/ breakfast in room)
    $50 as spending $ in the parks for 5 days
    $250 for gas downt here and back
    $25 for food at walmart once we are there (taking LOTS with us)
    This is $1025 but still have $2000 saved back and already bought tics so what eles will we spend $ on???

9. crafter23

crafter23 Earning My Ears

This is a great thread! We leave Tuesday .. flying down but my husband is already down there with the car. We're sort of on a budget, and I was trying to figure out what extras we needed money for.

Quick question though -- what is the kids club and where does it take place? Our daughter is 5, it's her first trip to Disney (and she doesn't know we're going yet!)

thanks!
    :flower:

10. luvthatdisney

luvthatdisney I wish I was in Cali!!!

The only other things we spent money on (just returned on 08/13) was our trip to Universal Studios/IOA. We did only have to buy 1 adult 1 day 2 park ticket and upgrade an old 1 day 2 park child ticket to an adult ticket. Then we had to buy food for 5 adults (lunch and dinner) about $200 for the day as DD got a hair wrap done there. Oh, we also bought the pictures made at the Spirit of Aloha dinner show was about $26 (get 2 big pictures a few wallet size and a keychain picture).

We didnt get alot of souviners (sp???) but did buy myself and DH a mickey watch (both of us had our birthdays while we were there) so that was about $150 for both. We also gave many extra tips over the amount of the dining plan tip. We had excellent service everywhere we went. The only place we didnt tip extra was at Hollywood and Vine as it was a buffet and she only brought us drinks twice. She did get a tip from the plan! We also tipped our Wishes Cruise driver $30 (had the birthday cruise $220). He was excellent! We spent about $1500 for the week.

Oh, that $1500 does include a $65 pair of school shoes for my DS (age 15). We went to a skateboard shop (Galactic G - if anyone is interested very reasonable prices) one day for the boys and we ahead and got his shoes as I could not get them that cheap at home or on the internet.

Gosh,

11. ziggystardust

ziggystardust DIS Veteran

We also have the dining plan. The major extra that we are alloting for is alcohol. We are 2- 20 somethings with no kids and plan on having fun. So that is a big budget killer for us, but hey its a vacation. We've also been a few times in the recent years so we don't go as crazy with the souvies, but we aren't going to stop ourselves from buying something we love.

12. Tnkrbelle565

Tnkrbelle565 DIS Veteran

We having Dining Plan too:

We budget about $300 for spending for 4 days. But we plan to bring home so stuff for DD and have an evening out at Pleasure Island. We also spend $$ on photos in the park, tips, and may want to buy an extra snack/drink.

13. Goobergal99

Goobergal99 <font color=green>E-A-G-L-E-S- EAGLES!!<br><font c

In the end we are going to bring $950 for misc spending (we have the MYW with free dining too) I figure this will covers mousekeeping, bellman tips, a lil extra tip at the resturaunts, breakfast, refillable mugs,locker rentals at the water parks and any other lil souvenir we may want to buy. We will definently be hitting the everything under $10 store :flower:

Oh BTW, we are four ppl (me, Dh, dd and dsil) DH and I are paying for everyones mug and breakfast as well as tips and all that jazz. DD has her own $150 of disney dollars and dsil is bringing her own spending money :flower:

14. disgram

disgram DIS Veteran

don't know if you have people at home that you want to check in with but I would also include a calling card if you don't have a cell phone. Cannot beleive how many times we called to check on the house and pets while we were in the World. :wave:

15. marcyinPA

marcyinPA <font color=blue>I'll never forget the strong, pun

Also on the dining plan here...the only extra money I'm bringing along is $100 in cash for tips and stuff like that, and the nearly $300 I have in rewards points from my Disney Visa.

We'll use the rewards for souvies, and "adult beverages", and an occassional snack that is not on the included list.

There are 4 of us...2 adults and 2 kids. Both kids will probably have $30 of their own money to spend too.

16. pamouselover

pamouselover “Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbo

We also are on the dining plan and I have budget $ 500.00 and the kids both have $100.00 disney dollars for our six night stay.
    We plan on eating breakfast or dinner with the dinning plan and snacking on snacks from home and fruit for lunch.
    :earboy2: I cant waite ONE MORE MONTH!

17. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

parking for your car at your home airport. We use to travel every year with a couple that would be counting loose change every year to get their car out of airport parking! Also make sure you have enough gas in your car when you leave it to get it home from the airport (yes it happened to the same couple)

18. Kira G.

Kira G. DIS Veteran

I don't think anyone has mentioned renting a stroller. I would recommend a stroller for anyone with kids 5 or 6 & under - SO much walking!

If you prepay for all the days you will be there the first time you rent the stroller you save a bit of money, 10% or something. You also time because you don't have to stand in the line every morning.

19. sabrinadv1

sabrinadv1 Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what the stroller prices are? We have a 6, 2, and 1 year old. I am thinking umbrella stroller for the oldest and rent a double stroller for the other two. Do ya'll know how much that would be for four days?

20. Emme

Emme DIS Veteran

Just a reminder you get a counter service lunch with the dining plan and a snack everyday is included as well.

21. pamouselover

pamouselover “Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbo

Thanks! Yes, we are going to use the counter service for breakfast or dinner, depending on were we eat.
    We either have a TS for breakfast or dinner, and then use the counter service for the other meal that day.