How much do you tip a car service??

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by edk35, Jul 16, 2007.

1. edk35

edk35 DIS Veteran

We have used the same service 3 times. Will use him again in Aug. and probably in Nov. and just wondered what most tip. We usually tip 20 on pick up from airport and 15 on return since we are just being dropped off at curb side check in. He charges us 90....well 82 with discount. Is that enough of a tip?? Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pamjb

pamjb DIS Veteran

I checked online tipping guides, and they state 15-20% for towncar service. Since you never know for sure you will have the same driver both ways, you are supposed to divide that by the number of legs of your trip. In this case, two. So based on the $90 charge (always tip before the discount), the 20% would be $18, divided by 2 equals $9 each way.
    I always tip between $10 and $15 each leg, since I have always received superior service from my towncar company. And isn't that what a tip is supposed to reward? :woohoo:

4. edk35

edk35 DIS Veteran

Thanks so much. I love our service and we do get the same driver each time both ways. We always request him...he is one of the owners. I guess my tip is perfect then...because he has always done a perfect job. :thumbsup2

5. pamjb

pamjb DIS Veteran

Based on your post, I think we use the same towncar company. :cool1:
    This could be part of their logo :sunny:

6. Edd

Edd <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

You know I have been looking for some time; any type of tipping guide. You wouldn't have a link for those guides that you saw. I would be interested.

7. edk35

edk35 DIS Veteran

Just lovely "rays of sun" :love:

8. Edd

Edd <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

edited

9. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

10. Jellyboy

Jellyboy Earning My Ears

I usually tip 10% of what a Car service cost

11. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I'm not sure why there is so much finding threads from years ago, but I guess I'll take a stab at this one as well.
    10% is appropriate for each way. If your car service tab is $100, you should be tipping about 20% for the entire ride. Most here advise tipping each way...so 10% each way, which in this case, would be $10 each way...total tip of $20.

12. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

Since most of them seem to add a mandatory tip I am not sure why you would add more

13. vicki_c

vicki_c DIS Veteran

I've never used a service that added a mandatory tip. And I've used 2 different companies.

14. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I won't use any company that adds a mandatory tip. I've used 4 different companies, and have never had a mandatory tip added. I always decide how much to tip!!!

15. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

A town car service I use here in Pittsburgh adds a tip automatically, I think 18% (they charge each way separate). There was one time when we got stuck in alot of traffic and the weather was bad, I gave him an extra $5 cash.

16. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Industry wide,maybe. Orlando not. Sometimes for a real limo but not for a towncar SUV or van.