How much are you spending on your beach vacation this summer?

katie111

DIS Veteran
Trying to plan a beach vacation for this summer. I realize I am very late to get a rental but there are always some homes available as well as last minute cancellations. We've taken a lot of big trips the past couple of years so I was thinking we would just rent a cottage close to home and save some $$. We live in MA so we have numerous options, i.e. Cape Cod, RI, Maine, etc. However when I started looking at prices I had a bit of sticker shock. We haven't rented on Cape Cod in probably 5 years and the prices have gone up so much. $2000 for a fairly basic cottage seems to be about the norm and most are either a pretty far walk or even a drive to the beach. We've rented a couple of times in Hilton Head and the prices are much more reasonable but we end up spending a lot on gas & hotel rooms to get there.

Anyways, just wondering how much YOUR beach vacation is costing you this year. Would love to hear where you are going, where you are staying, and what the rent is. We have tons of SW points so I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to fly somewhere else and rent a place.

We go after first week in Aug-the rates drop in Destin FL
Just DH & I and get a Gulf View one bedroom condo for around $150-175 a nite-3 nite min(this is older one -nicer high rise ones are in the $200 plus range a nite)

we love sitting on the veranda and just watching the sea, boats and beach

Our last beach vacation was in Wildwood Crest, NJ. A 3 bedroom condo was $4200 for the week.

$2100 for a one-week rental of a 3-bedroom/2-bath condo at the Jersey Shore during July. Nice place. Clean. Modern. Good location and plenty of off-street parking. We go every year around the same time and this will be our 3rd year in this particular rental property.

Jersey rental prices are crazy high!

$1325/week(taxes, linens, fees, and dog fee included) for a 4-bedroom old-style beach house 2 blocks from the beach in Carolina Beach. Sleeps 10. Stayed there last year and loved it.

$890 for a two bedroom Sun-Fri Nags Head mid-august--- rates drop starting mid-august.. its killing me to forgo Disney this year BUT its for the best...

We pay about $2800 for a week in a 2br/2ba Hermosa Beach (LA) oceanfront condo in August.

Not what you are looking for but, this July/Aug we will be in Kona, Hi for one week, $1425 including tax and cleaning fees in a 2br 3 bath condo about a block from the water with ocean views, one week in a 2br 2 bath within the first block across from the beach in Kihei, Hi for about the same price, and 5 nights in Poipu, Hi in a 2br 2 bath for about $1200 garden view about 3or 4 blocks walking distance to beach. Crazy how reasonable the rentals are in Hawaii compared to the North East. We probably could have gotten better deals if we were willing to forgo the AC and if we made reservations earlier. Donna

~$2,500 for our July, 2014 trip

$1,500 for 5 nights on the beach
$200 gas
$200 hotel en route (each way)
$600 food

We have family friends who own a beachfront condo at Carolina Beach - they rent it to us for $800 for a week, and it's a two bedroom, so we split it with my hubby's parents. We'll be driving, so $150 round trip for gas (that's a large estimate - my husband's car gets like 40 mpg, it's insane)...spending/food money, uhhh...$300? I don't eat much (gastric bypass surgery). Could be more or less for spending!

Last year we rented a house in the OBX, right on the water, for a week in August for $3,700. This year we are renting a fantastic beach house in San Clemente, CA for a week in August for $4,500.

$1835 for 10 nights in a beach-front 1 bedroom condo in a small town on the North Shore of Oahu in August. (Air conditioning only in the bedroom.) I get the bedroom, DD gets to sleep on the sofa bed :)

It's on the opposite end of the island, as far away from the touristy Honolulu/Waikiki areas as you can get, but that's the way I like it. I prefer the slow, quiet pace. We'll just drive into those areas for the day for the few things we like to do around them.

But of course, the challenge with Hawaii is the airfare...I got a decent deal from here on the West Coast, but it's more than I would generally have spent to go to any typical vacation spot in the continental US.

Last edited:
$1835 for 10 nights in a beach-front 1 bedroom condo in a small town on the North Shore of Oahu. (Air conditioning only in the bedroom.) I get the bedroom, DD gets to sleep on the sofa bed :)

It's on the opposite end of the island, as far away from the touristy Honolulu/Waikiki areas as you can get, but that's the way I like it. I prefer the slow, quiet pace. We'll just drive into those areas for the day for the few things we like to do around them.

But of course, the challenge with Hawaii is the airfare...I got a decent deal from here on the West Coast, but it's more than I would generally have spent to go to any typical vacation spot in the continental US.

Lord, ain't that the truth (about airfare) :sad: I feel as if there are so many places I could travel to (mostly international, but domestically - Alaska and Hawaii, for sure) if it weren't for the airfare. That's what kills it!!! It's 2015, so my fingers are crossed that we'll have teleportation before TOO long :rotfl: have fun in Hawaii!!!!

We are in MA too and going to the Cape this year. We also love Hilton Head and I wish we were going there.

We are renting a three bedroom cottage near Town Neck beach in Sandwich for $1100 a week. We like this area because it is easy to get to with Cape traffic and we like than you can either walk to the beach or swim in tidal basin that forms when the tide comes in and jump off the Sandwich boardwalk.

We rent from Beach Realty if that might help you. Another place to look is weneedavacation.com.

Hope this helps!:)

Out of Maine, Cape Cod & Rhode Island, Maine will be your cheapest options. You can find a decent place for under $200 a night (assuming you are a 4/5 person family). Cape Cod is extremely expensive for a house rental.

Forgot to mention....SandDollar Realty has a few cottages still available for about $1000 a week in Sandwich if you are still interested in the Cape.

We go to Cannon Beach here in Oregon - a hotel room typically costs us $100-$150 a night but air bnb shows a lot of houses available for less than $200 a night as well.

2000.00 for a 3 br first week in August in Virginia Beach (sandbridge area). We're on the back bay, about 4 blocks from the oceanfront. I think Sandbridge is expensive, moreso than the Outer Banks, but it's a shorter drive, and we have family nearby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter