How may points do we need?

heartsy77

2024 taking the kids and grands to Disneyland !
I've studied the points charts and I can't decide. Right now we go to WDW every 2 years. We either go w/ a large group ( this time 8 people) or just 4 of us.
We generally go in off times. I want to have ability to go w/ as many people as we want.
I want 300 but DH thinks it's overkill.
Money is not an issue as we will be paying cash.

Use the charts and make some bookings on paper for the resort, size of room, and time of year that you like to vacation. Since you go every 2 years, divide the required number in two. We would rather bank than borrow so we have more points than we need.

:earsboy: Bill

If you're just 4, a studio would work well but once you stay in a 1BR, you'll be spoiled forever!! Another thing to consider is if you want to try out all the DVC's. Since you've looked at the charts, that will give you a good idea of how many points you'll need.

I would say start out with 200 points and bank and borrow. This will give you enough for you if you're just 4 people and you'll have enough to bank for those larger crowds.

We started out with 200 points and since have added another 280. Once you become a member, we found that we always have a large group going!! I love it because we always have a blast. :goodvibes

I want 300 but DH thinks it's overkill.
Money is not an issue as we will be paying cash.

If money's not an issue, why not start off with 500?

This reminds me:

Telegraph Lady: You actually want to send this?
Semmi: Why? What is wrong? Read it to me.
Telegraph Lady: To His Majesty, King Jaffe Joffer, The Royal Palace,
Zamunda. Sire, Akeem and I have depleted our funds. Kindly send
300, 000 American dollars immediately, as we are in dire straits.
Your humble servant, Sem-I.
Semmi: Semmi [corrects her]
Telegraph Lady: Semmi [pronounces it correctly]
Semmi: Should I make it 400,000?
Telegraph Lady: You think that'd be enough?
Semmi: You are right. 500,000.
Telegraph Lady: As long as youre asking, why not go for a cool
million?
Semmi: You do not think that would be too much?
Telegraph Lady: Naah.

With a group of 8 you will need a 2br. I know that will run you 250-300 points on average for 7 nights in Sept. More for busier times. Doesn't leave you much left for even a studio for a smaller group at another time. Banking and borrowing will help. For your stated needs I would start with no less than 250 points. 300 may be even better.

Let me just clarify money isn't an issue; but I don't want waste $ on points I don't need. My beloved son passed away, on active duty in the Navy. Before he left he told if something happened to him to take his Life policy and buy a DVC for our family. So we are purchasing this in his memory. I don't mind spending the $ but what is left is going in our DD's college fund.
So I want to able to take my great nephew and his family in a few year, my dd is graduating next year wants to take a few of her friends. The point of buying DVC is to go more often and have the ability to take extra people.
I say 300 points Dh says 270:confused3

To be clear -- I wasn't being snarky, particularly in light of your recent loss. It's just that I remember going through the same "how many points do we need" conversation with my wife, and any time we think about adding on, we end up talking ourselves up so many points, that that conversation always comes to mind. We've avoided succombing for a while, but not sure how long we can hold out.

Let me just clarify money isn't an issue; but I don't want waste $ on points I don't need. My beloved son passed away, on active duty in the Navy. Before he left he told if something happened to him to take his Life policy and buy a DVC for our family. So we are purchasing this in his memory. I don't mind spending the $ but what is left is going in our DD's college fund.
So I want to able to take my great nephew and his family in a few year, my dd is graduating next year wants to take a few of her friends. The point of buying DVC is to go more often and have the ability to take extra people.
I say 300 points Dh says 270:confused3

So sorry for your loss. :hug:

A little more info would help with suggestions. Do you like your large group to stay in one villa or multiple? Exactly what time of the year, what location and what view? And how long do you like to stay?

As the pps have said, you need to determine what room sizes you want. There is a big differrence between a GV and a 2BR (Both hold 8, but would be tight for 8 adults/teens).
Since you only plan on going every second year make sure you don't get too many points (it's easier to add later rather than subtract points). You will have to watch the banking/borrowing a bit closer imho.
If you want a 2BR every year, 400 points will get most units most times, so you would probably only need 200 points total.

Daddio's site has a point calculator that works great. Just place in your check in and check out dates and it will tell you the points you need for every resort and room size.

Do that for a couple of the times you will travel and various room sizes you might want. Figure out your minimum and maximum points you would use and then see how you could meet that with banking and borrowing.

If money's not an issue, why not start off with 500?

This reminds me:

Telegraph Lady: You actually want to send this?
Semmi: Why? What is wrong? Read it to me.
Telegraph Lady: To His Majesty, King Jaffe Joffer, The Royal Palace,
Zamunda. Sire, Akeem and I have depleted our funds. Kindly send
300, 000 American dollars immediately, as we are in dire straits.
Your humble servant, Sem-I.
Semmi: Semmi [corrects her]
Telegraph Lady: Semmi [pronounces it correctly]
Semmi: Should I make it 400,000?
Telegraph Lady: You think that'd be enough?
Semmi: You are right. 500,000.
Telegraph Lady: As long as youre asking, why not go for a cool
million?
Semmi: You do not think that would be too much?
Telegraph Lady: Naah.

I am sorry if you though I was offended, I wasn't. I just don't want to spend my son's $ on points I don't need. No worries, as I have learned life is to short! :flower3:
Tami

So sorry for your loss. :hug:

A little more info would help with suggestions. Do you like your large group to stay in one villa or multiple? Exactly what time of the year, what location and what view? And how long do you like to stay?

Multiple rooms is fine, I could care less about a view, and at least a week.
Thanks this all just overwhelming.
Tami

Multiple rooms is fine, I could care less about a view, and at least a week.
Thanks this all just overwhelming.
Tami

Ok - well you might be surprised to hear that since you go every 2 years you could pretty easily get by with a contract of 160 points and get a 2BR everytime you go. And that isn't even in the cheap season.

Since you don't have a particular location or villa I just used the avg point cost across all villas for 1 week in a 2BR during Dream season. That equates to 312 points for 2013. Banking or borrowing would mean you would have 320 points every 2 years to use for your stays.

If you go in cheaper seasons then you could get by with even less. Or if you switch and get the 2BR one trip and then 2 years later get a studio you could easily get by with less.

Purchasing 270 or 300 points would be more in the realm of getting a GV for a week every other year. Or else significantly upping the trips you take or length of stay. Or number of people you invite and # of rooms you get.

WOW! What a legacy to leave... So sorry for your loss and that you can't enjoy the membership with him.
Eternally grateful to him and all of our brave service men and women for their service. :love:

Since you are going every other year, which is what we do so I have a lot of experience, I'd buy half the point requirement to stay in a two bedroom at your target time (Christmas is more expensive than September) for your target stay (seven nights, four nights, ten nights). As you learn the system, you may need to rent points from another member or direct from Disney, but you may not. If you find yourself needing more points regularly, do a small add on.

We have a small amount of points, but it's enough to put us in a two bedroom every other year for a week. Sometimes we scrimp and take shorter trips in smaller cheaper units, and are able to splurge with three years of points. But we've yet to run short. We like to travel with friends, but have discovered that although we treat with the room, Disney is still an expense many of them choose not to budget for, so unless we are willing to pay for airfare and park tickets, we often end up alone even when we wanted to invite people.

WOW! What a legacy to leave... So sorry for your loss and that you can't enjoy the membership with him.
Eternally grateful to him and all of our brave service men and women for their service. :love:

Yes it is a very fitting gift. My son was a person who made everyone smile and he thought this would be a gift he could give us and future generations of our family. What a sweet goofy kid he was.pixiedust:

Your son was a great man.

I would let faith handle it. Go with the best deal possible. I think 300 points is more readly available. Thus giving you a better deal.

Remember every time you go, you will be saluting him and if there is an afterlife he will salute back.

My heart is with you!

One other thing to consider: moving forward, the maintenance fees for DVC will cost considerably more than the up-front costs, and the more points purchased, the higher the MF costs ... and MF costs can vary significantly between home resorts.

Second, you didn't say if your were thinking of buying direct from Disney or resale - that will make a big difference in your up-front costs (and give you more options on how to use to points).

Third - where you stay will make a difference. For example, I took a quick look at the points charts, and the "most expensive" weekly rates for the DVC Resorts seem to fall into three groups for a 2BR -

1 - about 400 points: SSR, HHI, OKW

2 - about 500 points: AKV, BCV, BWV, VB, VWL

3 - about 600 points: Aulani, BLT, VGC

So it looks like you would need at least 250 points to cover most of the resorts, going every 2 years ... with 300 points covering them all ...

3BR GVs run about 1000 points for the "most expensive" week, so 300 points would not be enough for the "most expensive" weeks ...

Considering you'll want to make sure you "get what you want" for your larger family trips, choosing your Home Resort and having that 11-month booking window is also an important consideration.

So - as a few others have recommended - sit down and compare a number of scenarios (resorts, time of year, # bedrooms, etc.) and see what works out best.

This is a great gift of "pixie dust" from your son, and will bring many wonderful times for you and your family ...

One other thing to consider: moving forward, the maintenance fees for DVC will cost considerably more than the up-front costs, and the more points purchased, the higher the MF costs ... and MF costs can vary significantly between home resorts.

Second, you didn't say if your were thinking of buying direct from Disney or resale - that will make a big difference in your up-front costs (and give you more options on how to use to points).

Third - where you stay will make a difference. For example, I took a quick look at the points charts, and the "most expensive" weekly rates for the DVC Resorts seem to fall into three groups for a 2BR -

1 - about 400 points: SSR, HHI, OKW

2 - about 500 points: AKV, BCV, BWV, VB, VWL

3 - about 600 points: Aulani, BLT, VGC

So it looks like you would need at least 250 points to cover most of the resorts, going every 2 years ... with 300 points covering them all ...

3BR GVs run about 1000 points for the "most expensive" week, so 300 points would not be enough for the "most expensive" weeks ...

Considering you'll want to make sure you "get what you want" for your larger family trips, choosing your Home Resort and having that 11-month booking window is also an important consideration.

So - as a few others have recommended - sit down and compare a number of scenarios (resorts, time of year, # bedrooms, etc.) and see what works out best.

This is a great gift of "pixie dust" from your son, and will bring many wonderful times for you and your family ...

Thanks so much! We are leaning towards 300 points for SSR. Not resale only because I want the kids to have more options for their families in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter