how many rounds of negotiations did you go through?

AllieV

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
For those of you who went through resale negotiations, how many rounds of back and forth offer counteroffer did you go through? Did anyone start with their best offer? Thanks

I usually make a fairly low offer and when a counter comes back I've either walked away because it isn't even close to my offer (90%) or else I've accepted the offer. I found that if I wasn't close to what the seller was willing to accept then even my counter offer wasn't going anywhere near what they wanted, so I eventually just stopped bothering making a counter offer.

When i did a resale through a broker I made an offer in precisely the amount I would pay. The seller came back with a higher counter. I said good-bye and then made an offer to another seller through the same broker. Amazingly, it was immediately accepted.

Well, we are still waiting to close on our only resale but I can tell you about our experience.

Sellers were asking $60 pp (SSR). When we inquired we were told that there was already an offer in, $45 pp but they hadn't responded yet. Agent told us to go ahead and offer. We offered what amounts to $53.33 and they accepted immediately. Went smoothly from there. I only wish our sellers were as anxious to close this deal now. :(

Don't give up too fast on a contract either. The first go around, the seller countered way too high. I walked away. A week and a half later, they were still listed and I made the same offer. They countered at $2 more per point, which was within my range!

Now I am feeling like of like an idiot. We found a contract that was prices right where we wanted it (we were actually thrilled) and it never occurred to me to offer less. We just said we wanted it. I guess I need to get better at negotiating things. But I am still thrilled with OKW at $52 a point so that is all that matters (and it made it through ROFR)

Now I am feeling like of like an idiot. We found a contract that was prices right where we wanted it (we were actually thrilled) and it never occurred to me to offer less. We just said we wanted it. I guess I need to get better at negotiating things. But I am still thrilled with OKW at $52 a point so that is all that matters (and it made it through ROFR)

Sounds to me like you got a great deal and didn't even have to stress over it!!

Congrats!!

Don't give up too fast on a contract either. The first go around, the seller countered way too high. I walked away. A week and a half later, they were still listed and I made the same offer. They countered at $2 more per point, which was within my range!

I've tried making another offer on the same contract a month later, but so far no luck doing that!

On the bright side you made it through, how would have felt if you saved a $1/ point but then had Disney buy the contract. Enjoy your points and don't worry about what might have been.

I see what you're saying, but you can't look at it like that. Be happy with your purchase and use it as a lesson if you decide to go back and buy another contract in the future. :)

Asking price was $65; we offered 52$; they countered at $57 and we accepted. Still waiting on ROFR

When we made our offer we went in at 100% of asking to ensure we got it. It had all the banked points for the previous use year. We thought about offering $2 to $3 dollers less per poing but when we figured out what that would save us it wasn't worth losing the contract.

When i did a resale through a broker I made an offer in precisely the amount I would pay. The seller came back with a higher counter. I said good-bye and then made an offer to another seller through the same broker. Amazingly, it was immediately accepted.

I had this same experience.
My first offer was for a AKV 100 points contract. I offered $10 less than the asking price, but the seller refused (they have a load and need that amount to repay it).
Then I saw a 65 points contract for SSR, and it was the perfect number for me. They was asking $60 per point, I thought to offer $55, I was scared that someone could offer more than me since small contracts are very popular.
But I took the risk ended to offer $50, ready for a counteroffer to accept up to $55. With my greatest surprise he accepted my offer! :)

Granted we haven't passed ROFR yet, but we offered $8 a point lower than asking price, they counted about $5 higher and we took it since, it was still a great contract with most of the 2011 points banked. We are anxiously awaiting to see if it passes now...

Back in January we put in an offer on a 150-point BWV contract, (Sept. UY, 144 '11 points, all points going forward). It was listed for $65. I offered $46, they countered at $55, I countered $48. The broker then suggested a $50 price plus a split of closing, which we both accepted. It passed ROFR on 2/8 and the deal closed on 3/6.

I think we went back and forth twice each? We made and offer, the seller made a counter offer. The main differences were the closing costs. We told the broker what we would like for our "out the door price", ie, how much cash we had to spend on it, and they and the seller together cooked up a deal that matched it (they ended up coming down in price but we paid closing since we didn't care about the breakdown but just wanted a price ... also how I negotiate buying a car). This we accepted, it was done over 2 days.

As a buyer, I'd say, just give them your highest you want to go out the door price on the second volley, and if they want it to work they will. If they don't they can keep looking for another buyer and you can look for another contract.

For those of you who went through resale negotiations, how many rounds of back and forth offer counteroffer did you go through? Did anyone start with their best offer? Thanks

I offer at a price that is reasonable to me... :laughing:

and then will typically respond to one counter if it is reasonable.... again to me.... :rolleyes1

after that I move on....

there are just way too many contracts available at the various brokers to dwell on any single contract....

with that said, the biggest mistake I see buyers make is to "fall in love" with a contract and make an offer... and then just can't get away from it when it becomes a train wreck... :scared1:

Good Luck!

Griz

Mine was too simple, asking 60, offered 50, accepted in 15 minutes, waiting on closing docs as we speak:surfweb:

Hope i didn't jinx myself here:badpc:

Ours was pretty simple, too. Asking $55/pt, offered $54/pt, with buyer and seller splitting MFs. I must say that Sharon at Fidelity was really helpful - this was my first offer, and she actually suggested splitting the MFs. I was more concerned about getting thru ROFR, so maybe I paid more than I needed to, but the contract was also fully loaded with pts from 2011, so I think it worked out to a fair deal.

We offered on a Thursday, seller accepted the next day.

Wow, some great deals here without too much negotiating. Grizzly, that's good advice, thanks. I left a message last night with fidelity on one of their small contracts saying how much I wanted to offer per point. I guess they'll call me back with the procedure and explain what I have to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!