how many points to purchase at BCV?

allicat

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=navy>
Our situation is that since our daughter is in school, we like to take longer trips during the summer months. We usually stay for an average of 8 or 9 days.
How many points would we need to purchase at BCV to be able to have a trip of this length? Right now, its only the 3 of us so a studio is fine.
Also, I know you can begin with 150 points. How many nights would this many points get me at BCV during a summer month?

Thanks so much for your help! We are really considering purchasing but all this info. is a bit overwhelming so I have lots of questions!

Hi -

150 points would get you 8 nights in a studio for most of the summer. June 1 - Aug 15th. The points go down after Aug 15th, so you could maybe get another night, I'd have to check. 9 nights would be 162 points, with 8 nights being 148 points.

So, 150 points really is practical. I had read some things on the boards about 150 not being enough for people. It seems like it would work out fine for us.And we could always add on at another time, right?

Be careful here. Weekend points are more expensive. When you say 8-9 days, to me that sounds like you want to take one week off work and squeeze in the weekend on each end. In that case your points for mid season would be 198 points (5-weekday valued days, and 4 weekend valued days)

An 8-day stay (5 weekday valued days and 3 weekend valued days would be 166 points.

This would be in "magic" season which this year runs from Jun 11th to Aug 15th.

May 1st to Jun 10th and Aug 16 to Aug 31 is dream season and the points would be 181 for 9-days and 152 for 8-days.

If you truly mean to have a vacation with only 2-weekend days in it, for example a Sun - Mon - Tue - Wed - Thu - Fri -Sat - Sun - Mon vacation, where you take 7-days off work (assuming the Tue checkout day is a travel day), then your points would be 162 for 9 days, magic season, and 148 points for 8-days.

For "dream" season, the points would be 149 and 136 for 9 days or 8 days respectively.

Note all of the above are for a studio. If you want a 1-B/R, the same 8 scenarios presented above, in the same order would be: 390, 330, 364, 308, 330, 300, 308, 280.

<i>Plug Here: All of the above point totals were calculated in about 2-seconds each using the automatic DVC planning spreadsheet I created last year. It runs in microsoft excel 97 or higher and is free. If you'd like a copy, you can download it here: </i>

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/54928.shtml

A large number of people consider 150 points too low mainly because they prefer 1BR's or larger. Also, there is the DVC Syndrome. As soon as you start going, you begin to desire more and there is no level of points that is adequate.

Nevertheless, even for a studio (which many find quite enough to meet their needs), you may want to go higher if extended stays are your goal. You should not assume that you can later easily add on. Resorts sell out -- VWL has been on sale only since Jan 2001 and it is close to sell out now with only add-ons to members in some use years still available; BWV and OKW are not available through Disney even for add-ons. Thus, your ability to later add-on may be limited to the resale market where low point contracts (below 150 points) are rarely available.

Dh and I are seriously considering buying points at BCV, after 15 years of trips to WDW, we've finally realized we're never going to stop going! We're slow learners.:)
Did I read correctly that if we purchase points at BCV then the points needed per nite is the same as for BWV? I had been looking it up on the chart as staying at BC and the points were really high. Is that because BCV is not listed yet as a home resort?
I hope I'm making this clear. I will be thrilled if using points at BCV is the same as BWV. It really makes good economic sense for us then. Thanks for shedding any light on this for me.

The points needed at BCV are the same as VWL or BWV, preferred view.

just the BWV preferred view (not the standard view) are the same points as BCV - just use VWL it is easier.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter