How many of you always stay at home resort?

charminnie

Mouseketeer
How many of you stay at your home resort? Still debating between buying AKV and BLT. Taking a survey to see if people do trade at the 7 month mark. Is this common practice or harder than it seems.

Not always, we own at AKV, VGC, VGF but I would say mostly and more and more.

We have stayed at BLT at least 9 nights, we have also stayed in a Treehouse Villa but we are kinda over trying out other resorts and are happy to just book home. Our next trip is 14 nights at our 3 home resorts and I foresee more and more of that in our future. I just can't be bother scrambling to change at 7 Months.

Many many people do trade at 7 months though.

How many of you stay at your home resort? Still debating between buying AKV and BLT. Taking a survey to see if people do trade at the 7 month mark. Is this common practice or harder than it seems.

We own at BWV. In a dozen years we've stayed once at BCV and spent one night at WVL moving to BWV after.

My parents Home resort is the BoardWalk. I have been to WDW 12 times in my life and have stayed at the BoardWalk Resort 7 of those times. I love it there but a few times my parents have mixed it up a bit and we have stayed at other Disney Resorts.

We mostly stay at our home resorts, especially when we plan 10-11months out. We have BWV and BLT, and I love love love the BWV std rooms.

This year I'm doing a "last minute" trip that's 7 mo out and trying a new resort-- but bc we love our home resort, so we are probably (not necessarily) splitting that stay.

So, in 6 years, we have stayed at a non home resort twice:
1. Once for 3 days at akl (split with our home) because we planned 4 mo beforehand and couldn't get our home all 7 days.
2. Upcoming trip (again split with home probably) because we are last minute planning at the 7 mo mark.

Hope that helps!

We played the 7 month game and the waitlist game for a couple of years with mixed results. Spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a luxury Disney vacations and not getting the resort/room that you want didn't work for us so we sold the cow, decided that the kids get nothing when we die and we bought several home resorts.

Now we have three favorites, BWV, VGF, and VWL and three extras, BCV, AKV, and BLT.

:earsboy: Bill

After more than 20 years of DVC and having been to every East Coast DVC resort except GFV & PVB (PVB scheduled for Dec), we usually stay at our home resort 5% of the time. We will always go back to OKW at any time, we have just taking a liking to AKL which is where we change out to mostly.
Even saying this we have stayed at OKW, SSR, AKL, BCV, PVB, VB, and VWL over the past year. We just usually choose the resort we stay at based on whatever we are planning on doing that stay.

Since we purchased in 1999, we have stayed almost exclusively at our home resort. The exceptions include the week we spent at AKV (5 year old kids traveling with us that time), a couple of nights at the DLH before a cruise that left from Long Beach, and a few nights at BLT at the beginning of a split stay. This year we hope to spend a few nights at the Poly DVC before we move to the BWV.

But the vast majority of our nights have been at at the BWV (in standard views) and those were booked when the 11 month window opened. It's very difficult to give up that great location and low point requirement to go anywhere else.

The bwv std are sooooo hard not to stay in. I almost always stay there if I get it at the 11 mo mark

So most of you are staying at your home resort. Is this because you love your home resort or because it is hard to trade at 7 months out?

Love my home resort. By the way, you'll notice that this is currently a lot of BWV owners that follow this pattern. Which is why BWV standard view is so hard to get at seven months.

Home resorts = SSR and BLT. Have done the following DVC stays (on my membership):

BLT - 1
SSR - 1
AKV - 3
BCV - 2
PVB - 2

We go to vgc on our other points and have been successful in January and September, months with lower demand. We own there as well to ensure year round access.

Before we moved to FL, we spent probably 50% of our time at our home resort. Now that we live just a couple of miles away from WDW, we spend all our points at other resorts, like Aulani.

1. We own at OKW & BCV. We definitely always stay at BCV for F & W (and F & G if going in May). Other than that, we are game. We like to try all the resorts. Sometimes they are planned way in advance and sometimes not. Only F & W is planned when the 11 month window opens up. We have yet to stay at GFV and Poly. We have and do enjoy/happy with all the DVC resorts.

Our home resort is OKW and we used to stay there all the time. Since the availability of online booking we like to check out all the others too so will often do split stays.

We own at BWV and BLT and haven't stayed anywhere else in years. We prefer near park resorts and I book at 11m.
In our 12 yrs as members we've stayed at VWL (I loved it, husband not so much), and SSR (last minute trip, not a fan of exterior hallways), and AKL Jambo (again, I like it husband doesn't).

We often stay at our home resorts because we love them (BLT, AKV and Aulani). However since we have joined DVC we have often traded out at the 7 month mark to try out the other resorts. I have noticed that in the last two years though it is harder to get in at another resort for the period of October through marathon weekend. These months are very popular with a large number of members. But since it is only a third of the point use year, we cannot all fit into that time period. Split stays often work during that period, but people waiting until 4 months out will probably not get a reservation for that quarter. The rest of the year there really isn't any problem getting reservations at the 7 month mark even 3 months out although you might have to do a split reservation with a few days at different resorts.

BTW, it is very difficult to get into VGF at any time after the home resort priority period. I don't know if owners will eventually move around and not always stay at VGF but right now mainly owners are the ones staying there, with the exception of those that only get a reservation for a few nights.

I've stayed at all the WDW DVC resorts except PVB. We're staying there next weeken to check it out. But other than a night now and then I prefer staying at my home resorts of BWV and BLT. We sometimes do split stays...4 days at BLT and 4 at BWV. I love the BWV std views and book at exactly 11 months for Food and Wine.

Another BWV owner here who bought specifically because of the low point standard rooms-this year we are staying at the Poly in Oct (closed 8 months before our F&W trip and BWV was already booked up) but looking forward to using our points there next year :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!