How many have joined DVC for 100 Points or less?

dvc-NE

Walking scorer for Traveler's Championship
My original contract at SSR was for 300 points. I was wondering how many members realized that buying through TTS for less than 150 points is an option. This may allow some people to join who otherwise could not.
I imagine Disney would not want to ROFR what they are currently trying to sell.

We purchased a 100 points prior to the F & F promo. We originally went for the smaller contract so we could pay cash, get into the system to see if it was right for us before taking the full plunge. Our family enjoyed our trip last Oct so much we ended up adding on in Dec. So much for staying with a small contract. We did have our add on broken into two 60 point contracts in case we ever want to sell some points.

I have 80 OKW points that I have had for about 6 years...at the same time I joined, my borther bought 350 BW points and we both have our names on each contract. SOmetimes I use a few of his points and either pay him cash or transfer OKW points to him later so I do have some options to stretch my paltry allotment but, for the most part, 80 points is perfect for our needs. We normally take short trips and try not to go over weekends...and we love OKW better than any DVC resort so point requirements are low.

I am in nursing school, graduate in 6 weeks :cool1: and we REALLY wanted to buy into DVC but didnt want to have to put out a lot of money so we bought 100 points at BCV, we are SOOOOOOOOOO happy we did!!!! and we WILL add on!

We did just that. We were interested in buying but could not afford 150 points so we looked for a 100 point contract. We were not paticullarly set on any one resort since we were sure that any Disney resort would be wonderful. We ended up finding one advertised as 100 SSR points. When the agent did the search they found that there were actually 110 points. So that is what we got. It is a good amount for us for now. If we need to and can afford it we can always add on later.

We are planning to try HHI next year and I expect that if an add on is in our future it would probably be there or some other off site location.

I also agree that it may give you leg up on ROFR. As long as the cost is reasonable, Disney has nothing to gain by buying back a resort that they are curently selling. They would have to pay the closing on the purchase and then suck up the closong cost on the sale. It just wouldn't be financially beneficial for them to do it.

Carneymom said:
We did just that. We were interested in buying but could not afford 150 points so we looked for a 100 point contract. We were not paticullarly set on any one resort since we were sure that any Disney resort would be wonderful. We ended up finding one advertised as 100 SSR points. When the agent did the search they found that there were actually 110 points. So that is what we got. It is a good amount for us for now. If we need to and can afford it we can always add on later.

We are planning to try HHI next year and I expect that if an add on is in our future it would probably be there or some other off site location.

I also agree that it may give you leg up on ROFR. As long as the cost is reasonable, Disney has nothing to gain by buying back a resort that they are curently selling. They would have to pay the closing on the purchase and then suck up the closong cost on the sale. It just wouldn't be financially beneficial for them to do it.

Thanks! Nice explanation. :goodvibes

Although we have more, I found it interesting that when we sold a 25 point contract, it was bought by someone who'd never owned DVC before, and wanted "a foot in the door". I think he was hoping that by banking and borrowing, he could get to WDW every couple years or so, off-season, in a studio. Since I only talked to him during the sale process, I don't know how it worked out.

Wow! This is a great idea! I'm a little embarrassed that I hadn't thought about doing this before.

We have been getting some other things in order to try to come up with the $$ for DVC.... we are not going to break ourselves to do this, but definitely see DVC in our future. Buying a small amoun of points would be a good idea. Maybe this could be my Christmas present this year. :)

Is there a list of "cons" for why someone shouldn't do this? Perhaps a later add on would require a different use year or nothing available in the use year you buy into? I"m not trying to think of why we wouldn't go this.....;)

Yep, that's us.

100 VWL points resale is all we have for now. It's a great way to buy in without going into debt.

We were looking for anywhere between 75-100 points, with the intention of banking/borrowing and going every other year. 100 points gives us 200 points every other year, or 300 points every three years. 75 points would also be doable since that gives you 150 pts every other year or 225 every third year. Enough for a nice vacation.

Especially for us west coasters who have to travel quite a ways to get to WDW, going every other year makes sense, and a smaller contract works well.

Advantages we saw were

1) not taking on debt
2) smaller contracts are actually easier to sell than larger contracts it seems
3) smaller chance of points expiring
4) smaller yearly maintenance fees

The largest con is the price-per-point goes up since you have the overhead costs of the purchase spread over a smaller number of points.

-Shawn

I just purchased 100 pts vwl.

I went this route because

1. Payed cash
2. Lower maintnance fees
3. Can always rent or borrow points to make the difference in points I need

My mom owns 50 VWL points....it gets her 5 nights in a studio...it is perfect for her...she wouldn't want more.

:wave:

Beca

We own a 100 pt at VWL (through resale). When we added on recently through Disney, we purposely asked for the addition to be made in two small contracts, 50 and 65. This way we can sell one if we ever want to or I can deed one or two over to my daughter so that she can begin her membership and add on as she can. All have same use year.

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to go this route, it is really perfect for us. Still amazed that I didn't think of this before!

We bought 60 points at OKW resale this year to get started. We plan to gradually add on 60 at BWV and 60 at VWL through Disney- maybe 30 points at a time. We want to pay cash (will run it through the Disney Visa to get rewards).

One of the best things is that we'll end up with 11 mo. advantage at three resorts! We have enough for a studio each year (which is perfect since our kids are still small). Eventually we will have enough to bank/ borrow from whichever contract and take our friends and family when we want. I love the flexibility of this option, and it makes better money sense.

When the kids are older, if we aren't using as many points we can sell one or two of the contracts. DH and I will at least keep one- we're looking forward to future romantic trips w/out kids... what's not to love! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter