How many contract have you lost to ROFR

My apologies Doug, I was just kidding. AllieV's little tease made me smile and I was jumping in. I meant it in good fun but guess I missed the train completely. Please accept my humble apologies. Guess I'm not good at verbal repartee'.

Have a beautiful day and good luck with all your contracts!

I got you were kidding, just couldn't think of anything witty to say back...so had to settle for being serious. ;)

Be very careful with extreme renting. DVC is looking for commercial renters so they can shut them down. Be careful.

But isn't he safe as long as he stays below the 20 reservations per year? Or is that just a rough guideline and they actually have other ways to determine what a commercial renter is?

Be very careful with extreme renting. DVC is looking for commercial renters so they can shut them down. Be careful.

I'm pretty sure that doing 700-800 points a year renting over 4-6 rentals is not extreme nor is it a problem based on my experience renting for the last couple of years.

Just got an email this morning that we had our 3 OKW contract get bought by Disney. I am not sure what the deal is and all 3 had different use years as well as point totals. Beginning to think that since we originally talk to Disney about a direct purchase that now our name is flagged and we are doomed not to get one on the resale market. Might try again once the summer is over and less peopel travelling.

Good luck to everyone!

Just got an email this morning that we had our 3 OKW contract get bought by Disney. I am not sure what the deal is and all 3 had different use years as well as point totals. Beginning to think that since we originally talk to Disney about a direct purchase that now our name is flagged and we are doomed not to get one on the resale market. Might try again once the summer is over and less peopel travelling.

Good luck to everyone!

Wow - all 3 at once? Sorry for you first of all! Guess sales direct through Disney are really strong right now...?

Terri

Good luck to everyone!

Och, that really hurts. After I lost my 3 OKW contracts I stopped looking at OKW and now have a BWV & SSR contract about to go to ROFR either today or tomorrow. And these contracts while a little more actually work out better for me.

Don't give up, try for a different resort.

Good luck to everyone!

I don't think that there is any truth to the rumor that if you go on a DVC tour and then buy direct that your name is flagged. That rumor was originally started by one of the more excitable members on here. :) My wife and I went on the tour in November and then bought two resale contracts...one in January and one in February. I even told my salesperson that I was doing it. Both got through ROFR no problem.

Wow - all 3 at once? Sorry for you first of all! Guess sales direct through Disney are really strong right now...?

Terri

Although I'm a big believer in the theory that Disney ROFRs a contract to fill a waitlist order, in the case of OKW I think there is something else going on. Way too many contracts being bought back...it looks a lot like a reacquisition move to me.

I don't think that there is any truth to the rumor that if you go on a DVC tour and then buy direct that your name is flagged. That rumor was originally started by one of the more excitable members on here. :) My wife and I went on the tour in November and then bought two resale contracts...one in January and one in February. I even told my salesperson that I was doing it. Both got through ROFR no problem.

Although I'm a big believer in the theory that Disney ROFRs a contract to fill a waitlist order, in the case of OKW I think there is something else going on. Way too many contracts being bought back...it looks a lot like a reacquisition move to me.

The first time I recall this being discussed was soon after I joined the board last year.

Another poster (Homemom) and I were both ROFR'd around the same time, twice, while being on the wait list for points from Disney at VGC. Not just having taken a tour, but on the wait list. And while my contracts were ridiculously low priced, Homemom's were actually priced higher than others that were passing at that time.

The kicker was, in both our cases, our guides called us right when we were ROFR'd. In my case, he called that very night, sounding sort of smug, "Anything new Brian?", and told me my points were coming soon.

So. yes, it's just an urban myth, but since no one knows what DVC uses as the criteria for ROFR, being on a wait list for points could easily be a red flag. I mean, they know you are serious about buying. Why not force you to go through them rather than lose that sale to resale?

The first time I recall this being discussed was soon after I joined the board last year.

Another poster (Homemom) and I were both ROFR'd around the same time, twice, while being on the wait list for points from Disney at VGC. Not just having taken a tour, but on the wait list. And while my contracts were ridiculously low priced, Homemom's were actually priced higher than others that were passing at that time.

The kicker was, in both our cases, our guides called us right when we were ROFR'd. In my case, he called that very night, sounding sort of smug, "Anything new Brian?", and told me my points were coming soon.

So. yes, it's just an urban myth, but since no one knows what DVC uses as the criteria for ROFR, being on a wait list for points could easily be a red flag. I mean, they know you are serious about buying. Why not force you to go through them rather than lose that sale to resale?

Ugh, urban myth or not, now I am scared. I received info from DVC earlier this year and then a second time, and I am in the ROFR process with an OKW contract. AHHH, the stress! :scared1:

Blaze - Can I ask what price point you went in at on your three contracts and when you submitted?

TIA!

Perhaps I misspoke a bit. This rumor was rekindled recently by a first time buyer who posted a tremendous amount about every step of the experience. It led to a lot of people repeating her speculation. Your story does sound a bit eerie, I'll definitely give you that. I wouldn't put anything past anybody, especially in the timeshare business. I just wish we knew more for certain.

Hi Brian! We had our two ROFR'd then tried to go on a tour while at DL this January. We had a horrible guide to say the least. We stated we just wanted to look at the models and get a feel, having only ever stayed once in a DVC studio at VB. We didn't want to waste all her time because we knew we would be going resale. Long story short she called my husband stupid (her exact word) and we left without our scheduled tour. We found out who to call and make our compaints too. I'd like to think we were then put on some type of "don't upset these people anymore :rolleyes1, don't force direct, let them buy resale" kind of list, but in all actuality i'm sure they just had a waitlist to fill for our two that got bought from us. Just happy we finally got one! :cloud9:

Hi Brian! We had our two ROFR'd then tried to go on a tour while at DL this January. We had a horrible guide to say the least. We stated we just wanted to look at the models and get a feel, having only ever stayed once in a DVC studio at VB. We didn't want to waste all her time because we knew we would be going resale. Long story short she called my husband stupid (her exact word) and we left without our scheduled tour. We found out who to call and make our compaints too. I'd like to think we were then put on some type of "don't upset these people anymore :rolleyes1, don't force direct, let them buy resale" kind of list, but in all actuality i'm sure they just had a waitlist to fill for our two that got bought from us. Just happy we finally got one! :cloud9:

After our second ROFR we bit the bullet and bought a couple of small contracts direct from Disney. We were bumping up against the window we needed for a family trip in Sep to DLR and really wanted to stay at VCG.

So it worked out. We have that trip, plus another, booked within 7 months using our old OKW points, planned for this year.

I had read you finally got a contract through. Good for you. I'm glad it worked out for you as well.

What does this mean? What would they be doing with all those points?

My guess? I think they're accumulating them to relaunch a new sales initiative, OKW 45 year contracts. They're in a tough spot right now. All they have to market is AKV (which is having problems due to high fees and location), BLT (expensive) and Aulini (expensive AND off property). And, their new offering is going to be at GF, so it will probably start at a million or so dollars a point. :goodvibes

So they don't really have anything to market to Joe Holiday who wants a reasonably priced DVC membership that is on property (again, not my opinion, but many people complain that AKV is too far removed). I think they're buying back as much of the resort as they possibly can so that they can resell it. But I could be wrong.

We are one for two. Disney seems to go on a buying spree for particular resorts when they need more points for inventory, so maybe that is it.

Drew in Ga

My guess? I think they're accumulating them to relaunch a new sales initiative, OKW 45 year contracts. They're in a tough spot right now. All they have to market is AKV (which is having problems due to high fees and location), BLT (expensive) and Aulini (expensive AND off property). And, their new offering is going to be at GF, so it will probably start at a million or so dollars a point. :goodvibes

So they don't really have anything to market to Joe Holiday who wants a reasonably priced DVC membership that is on property (again, not my opinion, but many people complain that AKV is too far removed). I think they're buying back as much of the resort as they possibly can so that they can resell it. But I could be wrong.

Totally agree...

I think you might be very right on with this. When we started looking we crossed AKV off the list almost right away. We didn't like the distance. We got really luck with our contract but while we were waiting I watched and read a lot and it does seem there has to be a master plan for OKW points. It just seems like too much all at once. And since they can sell those as extended contracts I am sure Disney sees it as a win for them, especially since some were priced as really good deals.

I'm feeling pretty fortunate to have my contracts pass ROFR pretty recently.

25 OKW (Aug) $55, 25 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts (sub 1/30, passed 2/29)
45 OKW (Aug) $55, 45 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts (sub 1/30, passed 2/29)
40 OKW (Sep) $55, 40 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts, buyer pays closing and mf (sub 2/21, passed 3/14)
40 OKW (Sep) $55, 40 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts, buyer pays closing and mf (sub 2/21, passed 3/14)
70 OKW (Sep) $55, 70 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts, buyer pays closing and mf (sub 2/21, passed 3/14)
100 OKW (Sep) $55, 100 banked '10 pts, all '11 & '12 pts, buyer pays closing and mf (sub 2/21, passed 3/14)

On another note, I am still waiting to close on the contrcats that passed 3/14

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!