How many BLT points?

texhanddoc

Let me tell you about how much I procrastinate...
I have looked at the charts. We are about to pull the trigger on BLT. I have figured we will be staying at 2BR suite at BLT once a year, averaging early June with lake view. I have decided on 360 points. Does that seem like too much or not enough? I have heard so many say that you never have enough points. Should I buy more?

With our purchase now, we will get 360 2009 points, 360 2010 points, so we will pretty much start off the bat with 720 points.

Any thoughts?

I have looked at the charts. We are about to pull the trigger on BLT. I have figured we will be staying at 2BR suite at BLT once a year, averaging early June with lake view. I have decided on 360 points. Does that seem like too much or not enough? I have heard so many say that you never have enough points. Should I buy more?

With our purchase now, we will get 360 2009 points, 360 2010 points, so we will pretty much start off the bat with 720 points.

Any thoughts?

If I had the same travels plans as you, I'd probably try for a few more points. In 2011, a BLT Lake View 2BR during the Dream season is 354 points for a week. But if your travel plans extend into the Magic season, which currently starts June 11th, a BLT LV 2BR is 384 points.

As you probably know, DVD can reallocate BLT's point chart. In 2010 and 2011, the weekday points were increased and the weekend points were decreased. In the future DVD could change the seasons, or even adjust the relative point values of BLT's three booking categories. Some of these changes might help you and others might hurt you.

By having a small cushion of extra points, you'll be able to weather any future reallocations of points. You can bank the extra points, and in a few years you could book an extra day or try an MK view.

Of course, since you are starting out with "double" points, you might not need more than 360 points to start with. For the next several years, you can use your banked points for your yearly trips. You'll only need to touch your current year's points if DVD reallocates points, or if your vacation habits change.

Good luck on your decision, and welcome home!!!

Makes me think we didn't get enough! We got 270 pts. and plan to go once a year in a 2 bedroom, too. It's working so far and it's what we could afford.

If you can afford that many points I think it sounds great!:thumbsup2

Any thoughts?

Just transfer the '09 points to me and then you'll get a feel for what you really have to work with over the long haul (That's what's important, right?!?)? Then you can make an educated decision accordingly. :cool1:

Any thoughts?

Break up your contract into multiples (like 100, 100, 100, 60 or 120, 120, 120). If you ever need to sell in the future (or pass them on to children), it seems like smaller, more reasonable point contracts are more attractive to a larger pool of buyers. You'll still get the same use year and points to use for your trips. It's just some extra insurance up front.

And as a new DVCer I'll echo to buy assuming a lake view point level. There aren't as many standard views at BLT and you might end up forced to lake here and there.

think you have it right!:goodvibes

second snurk71 suggestion to break up your contract.

if they worst happens and you need to sell - then it is not a problem.

if you don't break up the contract and need to sell - then it is the total contract or nothing. besides since DVC is so expensive - the smaller contracts in the resale market will sell faster at a higher price than the larger ones.

I'd get a few extra points if I were you. Before BLT even opened we signed a contract to add on just enough points for three nights MK view early December. Before we closed, we had to add on a few more points because of the new points chart. Now the 2011 chart has come out and they have once again increased the # of points needed, so we will have to start borrowing here.

I agree you really can't have too many points. We have over 750 BWV points and I am still in a perpetual state of borrowdom over there. I suggest that you buy as many points as you can comfortably afford. I'm sure you'll be able to find a use for them. For example, the MK view is spectacular if you ever want to splurge, an invitation to extended family could be a really special trip, etc.

Also as others have stated, DEFINITELY split your total number of points into smaller contracts for easier resale if that ever becomes necessary.

Good luck and we'll soon be able to say 'Welcome Home Neigbor!!!"

JWRBND "Makes me think we didn't get enough! We got 270 pts. and plan to go once a year in a 2 bedroom, too. It's working so far and it's what we could afford."

I am thinking that we will need more points down the road also. We currently have 200 BLT. We increased from our SSR contract of 160 previously and that wasn't enough points for what we wanted to do. Another couple of years will probably bring an add on.

Snurk71 "And as a new DVCer I'll echo to buy assuming a lake view point level. There aren't as many standard views at BLT and you might end up forced to lake here and there."

We are staying 1 br lake view end of April beginning of May and it will be 213 pts for 5 nights. After reading some of the posts here I am beginning to see that buying more points will eventually be in my future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter