• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Long Is Too Long to Wait For Furniture

GOOFY4DONALD

DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer
We bought a livingroom set in February from a nice furniture store chain. It was a nice set but by no means custom built or anything like that. We paid cash and were told 4-6 weeks. We were also told that it never takes 6 weeks but they were required to tell us that. Well it has been almost 10 weeks and still nothing. I have called DH has gone down there but they can't even tell us any idea as to when it will be here. I am about to forget the whole thing and get a refund and take my business some place else but I am just wondering, before I do, if anyone else out there waits this long?

I waited 12 weeks once for a sofa- if it's a fabric job it can take that long. (Mine was ethan allen- I don't know who you dealt with)

When we bought our current living room set, we ran into an issue that it got held up in customs then the sofa leg was broken and they had to order a new one. I used Rooms To Go and never thought about it being imported but it's pretty common. I can't remember how long it took but it was quite awhile.

Depends on how much you love the furniture. We waited 2 - 3 months for our sofa (can't remember how long it was as it was several years ago, but it was quite a wait) as well as some really comfy upholstered chairs. We bought the pieces at Drexel Heritage and were willing to wait that long because the sofa was EXACTLY what I was looking for and would've waited longer if I had to. Hope your stuff shows up soon.

If they don't have it in stock. Then you have to wait until its made again. We sometimes order out of catalogues. Generally its not in stock, so we have to wait a few months. Some times there are issues, and we have to wait longer. The last time we were in the store, they said it would be a couple weeks to get the item, I was like generally when we order out of the catalogue its months. So, he actually called to see if they had any, nope they didn't, it would be several months to get the item.

its just how it is.

We just ordered living room furniture one week ago and they said 4-6 weeks. Our friends said to expect 8-10, since ours is custom. We ordered ours from an upscale store who had really great deals and they were similar to Ethan Allen.

Have you been in contact with the store? If they said 4-6 weeks and it's not here then they should have called you to tell you why it hasn't come in yet and approx how much longer the wait will be. We just had a local furniture chain unexpectedly close up shop and anybody who had paid for furniture but hadn't gotten it was up the creek with out a paddle... I haven't heard if those people ever got their $ back.

We were once told 4-6 weeks and we ended up waiting 14 weeks. Not much fun when you're excited for your nice, new furniture to get to you. And ours was a dining room set that we were supposed to have by Thanksgiving, but didn't get until after Christmas.

In our case I found out that the issue was that they were waiting for enough orders to fill the truck and make the cross country trip economical for the store. Sometimes it sucks to live on the West Coast when the good furniture comes from back East.

Hopefully you'll get it soon and it will be worth the wait. Good Luck!

We just went through the same scenario and cancelled the order. We got our living room furniture in about 2 months but our headboard for our bed was ordered through our local furniture store and wherever it is coming from, they will only ship it on their truck when the furniture store orders enough to fill the truck. That may be what's happened to your furniture. The economy is down so furniture is moving slower is what we were told. We decided to cancel and buy somewhere else for the headboard.

til 12:01 today...if they haven't delivered our new freezer by then, I'm off to work. :rotfl:

We ordered my son's furniture the week before Halloween. It was custom (navy blue) so it would take about 6-10 weeks to come in, we were told. They gave us a date that was 10 weeks out. Well, we just kept getting these postcards in the mail saying it was delayed another week...another week..I was ready to cancel in February and get something else. Wouldn't you know, it came in right before I was going to cancel. I think we were at the 16 week mark. Felt like forever!

We ordered ours from LaZBoy and were told it would be 8 weeks because it had to be made since they don't store anything in a warehouse. It took exactly 8 weeks but I love our furniture and probably would have waited longer.

Several years ago I bought 2 couches from Value City Furniture (stock pieces, not a special order). I was told they would be delivered later that week, so I put my old furniture in the paper and sold it. Then they called and told me the following week...so I moved my patio furniture into the living room so we'd have a place to sit. :sad2: By the time all was said and done, I received my furniture 8 weeks later. I was absolutely livid. :mad: When my furniture was finally delivered, it still had the tags on it from where it had came from China, so I'm thinking it was literally on a "slow boat from China" during the 8 weeks I was waiting for it.

I'd be especially nervous if you paid cash for the items. If something happens (store files bankruptcy, etc) you have very little legal protection, whereas you would have had more recourse with a credit card.

If they won't tell you why it is delayed I would probably cancel it. I have had furniture delivered 10 weeks out but it was custom and they said it would take that long. I purchased furniture from Haverty's last year and they said about 6 weeks because I picked a color that they use but didn't have any and got it in about 4.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The furniture is not a custom job and they will not give us a reason for the delay. I would be happy with any answer I just want an explaination. My DH is out of town but is coming back next week. He is way better at handling these things than I am.

I ordered a sleeper sofa, sofa table, end table, shelves and three chairs from Ethan Allan on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend in 1999. They said 10 - 12 weeks. At the end of June they called and said the sofa table was in and did I want it, or have it all delivered together. I said to hold all of it until everything came in. The pieces came in one at a time during the summer and they delivered everything together the weekend after Labor Day. So, like 13 weeks for everything.

I purchased quite a bit of furniture a year ago (2 couches, 3 chairs and 2 ottomans). It was all custom and I waited 3 months for it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The furniture is not a custom job and they will not give us a reason for the delay. I would be happy with any answer I just want an explaination. My DH is out of town but is coming back next week. He is way better at handling these things than I am.

If you happened to buy it from Ashley you CANNOT cancel it. Says so in the paperwork. There have been several state Attorney Generals take up this issue with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter