How long can you stay at a resort?

DisDisDisney

Earning My Ears
My father is a member of the DVC, we haven't used it in probably 10 years. I just tried to book a vacation for 3 weeks and it said I can't do this. How long can you stay?

When are you planning to visit? It could be they don't have a unit available for three weeks straight. Try breaking it up as a split stay.

Sounds like an availability issue. If even 1 night isn't available, you'll have to split it or change dates.

You might try posting over in the DVC member services thread - those folks are the experts about all things booking wise w/ DVC. But, from my limited experience I suggest the following.
If you were able to log on to your dad's DVC account then there's a tab at the top that says "vacation planning" hit that tab and choose "resort availability tool" which will take you to a list of all the DVC resorts. Use the calendar to put in your dates, choose your villa size and pick whatever resorts you are interested in to see if it's already booked. Once you find one that is available for your dates (hint look at Saratoga Springs) make sure you have enough points (you may have to bank and or borrow points to have enough) and then go back and try booking it online, if it's still a problem call member services and ask them to book it for you.
Good luck & what fun to have that much time at Disney :)

Question. If he hasn't used it in 10 years, does he still have all those points for each year or is it a use them or lose them with disney after a year? so If he gets lets say 150 points a year and hasn't used it in 10 years does he have 1500 points? or does disney make you lose them if non active?

You can only bank/borrow one year in advance or behind. So if he hasn't used his in ten years, he won't have ten years worth of points. Sadly unless he banked last years he won't have those either. He can call and ask for a one time favor of banking last years but that's on a case by case basis.

So are you looking for like July 2015, as in six weeks from now? It's going to be hard to get more than two or three days together this short notice, if you can get anything. You can't book July 2016 yet, even with home resort 11 month advantage. I'd book what you can, and be flexible in what resorts you stay at. Dvc is best used with 7-11 months of planning. Plus, does he have enough points for three weeks? That might be another issue. I believe the max amount of consecutive days you can book is 60 or 90 days. That is if it was available.

My father is a member of the DVC, we haven't used it in probably 10 years. I just tried to book a vacation for 3 weeks and it said I can't do this. How long can you stay?

We've stayed for 6 weeks in the summer using DVC points before. I think it might be an availability issue, since your trip is about 6 weeks away and most DVC resorts book as far as 11 months in advance.

I don't know about DVC, but for regular bookings, I'm pretty sure you have to call (just cannot book online) for stays over 14 nights. Something close to that, I can't recall exactly, but it's around 14 nights.

Sometimes you encounter other problems booking online for other reasons and have to break up a trip to book (have no idea why, but Disney's site just is weird, lol) but there is a limit to booking nights online. You get a message telling you that you have to call.

worth noting - DVC member services were closed yesterday for the holiday.

Good luck in finding something at such short notice! hope you have a fabulous trip.

okay if you are using the online system - it can only be for 7 days at a time.

go visit on the DVC boards - you can also if your family does not really want it - sell it - DVC unlike other timeshares is worth money. there are several resellers who would be happy to sell it for you.

if you think you might want to kept it - then you can rent it. there are brokers who will rent it for you.

do you have his member card - that tells the use year - well the member site should too. the use year is when the points start - it is also when they expire if they have not been used.

Fellow DvC member here. I would call the 800 number and have them book for you. They can help see which resorts have nights open. Your father may nt have enough points for 3 weeks, especially if he hadn't been banking.

Dvc member too... I'm thinking 6 weeks from now there won't be much available unless you're looking at saratoga... And even then July 4th may be booked.

Call member services. 800-900-9800 at 8/9am!!! There will be a loooong wait because of the weekend and holiday though

Did your dad lose those points?!? Over 10 years??! Which resort are you, might I ask?

Yes, post in the dvc section....

Ps-- not sure if you know but those points are worth at least $11.30per point in the rental market. Even if you don't want to rent, you could probably find someone to transfer your points to (another dvc member- you can transfer points once a year to another account through member services) for at least $10pp. You recoup your maintenance fees and make a small profit.

You haven't used your points in 10yrs but still paid the yearly maintenance?!?! I'll buy your points off of you!!! What resort are you?

You can only bank/borrow one year in advance or behind. So if he hasn't used his in ten years, he won't have ten years worth of points. Sadly unless he banked last years he won't have those either. He can call and ask for a one time favor of banking last years but that's on a case by case basis.....
They already got that in 2006. It's a one time thing.

Someone needs to read up on using DVC points quickly. Or sell.

The online reservation system for DVC allows only a maximum of 14 consecutive nights to be booked in one reservation. That is a system limitation and not a DVC limitation, for which there is no limit except as constrained by the number of points you have to use. If you want more nights, the member can call DVC Member Services to make the reservation or make two separate but successive reservations online to cover the same period and room category, each for a time two weeks or less, and then call or email Member Services and have the reservations linked. If you have further questions about reserving DVC, it is best to put your post in the DVC part of these Boards and particularly the "DVC Member Servises" board.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter