How long after the race in Disney do you continue to wear your medal?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
Regardless of which...the cool looking 5k one, the gold DD half, the cool Mickey they have this year or the Goofy...or do you prefer NOT to wear your medal after the race? - and why?

...meaning...while you are in Disney world.....

For the Princess, I left the following day so I wore it both days. Including on the plane ride home. The next day I overheard a few people say to their family "oh i should have worn my medal today too" after seeing me with mine on.

I will wear my medal the day I earned it. And usually then only when at the park while I am looking for the namesake character so I can get my picture taken with him/her. Otherwise, I feel a little self-conscious.

Maura

I wear mine from the finish line back to the hotel and that's it.

I wear mine the rest of the day & the next day. I haven't stayed at the parks beyond that and have always gone home. I haven't worn it at the airport, yet.

I wore mine around the parks until most of the marathon weekend crowd left last year. After a few days, new guests started coming who didn't know about the race, and I had to explain to several people what the medal was for.

I am going to wear my half marathon medal Saturday (the day of) and probably Sunday. If I earn it, I am going to wear it! Plus they are so pretty!

I wear mine the day of the race and then the next day so this trip I will wear one Sunday and Monday:woohoo:

I wore my 5k medal the day of and that was it. I wore my ToT medal the next day. I skipped a day then wore it again the third day. After a lady on a Disney bus said she liked our "lanyards" we got for the race and was gonna look on Ebay for one when she gets home, I chose not to wear it anymore. I'm pretty sure I wore it home in the car though. I'm flying home the day of Princess so I'll just wear it that day and on the plane ride home.

Wait, you mean I eventually have tom take mine off? I will be THAT person wearing it a liiiiittle too long. But when I get that baby there is no way it's coming off any time soon :)

When I got my Mickey medal 2 years ago we stayed until Thursday. I wore my medal everywhere for 4 days straight. :rotfl: I figured after all the training I went through to earn it I would wear it as long as I could.

I will wear the Goofy Monday and Tuesday. I will wear all the way to Houston then remove as I stand in line at baggage claim. The half and full will remain in the room

I have worn mine (5k and TOT) the day of the race and the next day. My running buddy went home a day before me after the 5k, so I made it my mission to get my picture taken with the medal and as many characters as I could that day. After the TOT, the velcro was coming loose and it was heavier, so I started keeping it a ziplock bag and only taking it out for photos.

We always wear it the next day - so I'll be trucking around in it while trying to catch a glimpse of my husband's Goofy effort.

On a related note, we always say "Congratulations" when we see another runner with a medal. If we do that to you, it would be super nice if you said "thanks, you too!". It's friendly.

I can't tell you how many fellow runners snub us when we do this at WDW or DL. It's so weird.

Tabetha said:
We always wear it the next day - so I'll be trucking around in it while trying to catch a glimpse of my husband's Goofy effort.

On a related note, we always say "Congratulations" when we see another runner with a medal. If we do that to you, it would be super nice if you said "thanks, you too!". It's friendly.

I can't tell you how many fellow runners snub us when we do this at WDW or DL. It's so weird.

That's one thing I loved about running in Disney- people congratulate you or at least notice! I'll always say well done, it's not really the done thing in the UK!!!!! I hope there are less snubbing people this year for you,

I am suprised at that! That is rude!

Last year after the half - which was my first - I was so proud that I did something I kind of only thought of in the past and it was a plus that the medal was so beautiful looking! Being as it was my first, I was spoiled at its grandness and realized that that is the medal that stands out against the rest.

I wore my medal back to the hotel and we went out for breakfast. Because I never went back to my room right away, I wore the medal at the buffet. I was suprised at all the congratulations I got. I didn't expect it because I didn't think anyone cared. People began asking me questions about the race.
After breakfast I took it off and the next night (sunday) I went on a bus ride to Disney Villiage and to be frank, I was sorry I didn't wear my medal there. I thought it would be kind of cocky to wear your medal outside of walking back to your hotel room. I didn't get the idea that it was part of your hard word to show it off. I truly enjoyed looking at all the medals and tried my best to congratulate everyone.
Met a Goofy medaler on the bus and we chatted and a very fit man in a wheelchair wearing his Goofy. We chatted about the race. Later a man came up to me, who overheard our conversation on the bus and told me he was signed up for the half. He never did it, he actually scared himself out of doing it because he thought he would be swept. He told me after listening to us discuss the race on the bus, he really felt sorry that he never gave it a go but next year (this year) he would do it!
In Disney Villiage I saw the 5k medals (this year they are much better looking I think), Donald Ducks, Mickey Mouses, Goofy's and Chip and Dales. I thought, next year I will wear my medal - whichever it is - around. Its fun to discuss the race with others....and it is not cocky as I originally thought. Its a way of saying 'I did it' and it makes people want to ask you questions about it.

When DH & I ran the half in 2011 we wore our medals all day. I was proud and wanted everyone to know. We flew out on Sunday and I wore my tech shirt. I thought the medal would be a little weird getting on a plane. We did see lots at the airport with their medals and shirts on.

I personally think its perfect for race day (must flaunt the bling!) great for day after then gets to be too much on day 3/4/5

For DLR I did have my medals (DLR & C2C) on day 3 and did wear them for my 'celebratory' character breakfast (since circumstances prevented scheduling it earlier) but didn't throughout the park..

IMO wearing 'old' race medals on the plane/to the expo of a new race was tacky.. Wear the previous race shirts but leave the medals home safe...

-em

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter