How Late Can We Book ME, & Carry-On Question

Bill From PA

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That
Our daughter, SIL and grandkids will be following us down in March 2006 3 days after we go. We're using a TC and they want to use ME, but while we're all booked into POR, I'll jump on S/D at the Teacher's Rate if available or otherwise 'trade up' if the opportunity presents itself, so we might not know for sure until late in the game where we're going to stay. How far in advance would be a safe time for them to schedule ME, and can they carry some stuff on to the ME bus to tide the kids over until the luggage arrives?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

You can add ME fairly late. I know some folks on the DVC boards have booked about a week in advance. No tags but they still used the service.

However, if you move up to the S/D you need to have Plan B. ME won't take them to S/D.

we booked a little over a wk before our flight. We carried on all our luggage, well we did put 2 small suitcases in the outside luggage storage. The kids all had full backpacks and on the return flt we all had various size bags from the stores. The drivers never questioned anything we carried on. However, we did this last wk which is a very slow time of yr for Disney. it might be different if we had tried this during a very busy time.

As I understand it, the general rule about carry-ons inside the DME bus (as opposed to in the cargo hold) is you can take them as long as they fit on the overhead shelf or under your seat. I would GUESS that if the bus is pretty empty it MIGHT be OK to have a bag on a seat next to you, but then again there might be a rule against that because it would be a safety hazard, I don't know.

-- Eric :earsboy:

You need to book ME at least 10 days in advance. You can change your hotel any time, and you can cancel if you end up in a non-participating hotel (such as Swan, Dolphin, Bonnet Creek, Shades of Green, hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd.)

You can use Mears' regular shuttle for non-participating hotels, purchasing the ticket at their booths, one of which is next to the ME welcoming area. If you did not make a reservation in time you can ask at the ME welcoming area and they might put you on if there is room. Upcoming contractual relations with the airport may require that guests without reservations purchase Mears shuttle tickets even though these guests may ride the same buses as ME guests.

It is strongly recommended to bring along stuff (all valuables, swimsuits, shorts if you are coming from a cold climate, etc) for your first day, on the ME bus.

ME reserves the right to take larger carry-on bags to the trucks for automatic magical resort delivery as opposed to putting them under the bus cabin when you board.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/magicx.htm

A co-worker of mine arrived at Orlando Airport Sunday evening. She did not have ME reserved. She asked one of the CM's with the white gloves if she could use ME since she was staying at the Boardwalk Inn and was told "Absolutely". They directed her to ME checkin and she took ME to the Boardwalk. Her bags did not have tags on them. She was told not to worry about the bags, they would get them and deliver them to the hotel, which they did.

Obviously, it can be done without a reservation and tags.

antmaril said:
A co-worker of mine arrived at Orlando Airport Sunday evening. She did not have ME reserved. She asked one of the CM's with the white gloves if she could use ME since she was staying at the Boardwalk Inn and was told "Absolutely". They directed her to ME checkin and she took ME to the Boardwalk. Her bags did not have tags on them. She was told not to worry about the bags, they would get them and deliver them to the hotel, which they did.

Obviously, it can be done without a reservation and tags.

However, the other transportation companies are suing to force Disney to only allow folks with prior reservations to use DME. That way the other transportation companies will have a shot at their business.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter