How is the WiFi at BCV?

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by DisneyDaze36, May 2, 2012.

1. DisneyDaze36

DisneyDaze36 Mouseketeer

I know that the resorts now have wifi. How is the connection? Should I still expect to use the wired internet access? Just wondering how this new service has been for DVC members.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

The wired connections are being removed.

4. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

Was at BCV right after they installed the WiFi, had two laptops and one ipod running at the same time. No issues at all for us.

5. Snurk71

Snurk71 DIS Veteran

Better than BLT (it's been terrible for us there).

6. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

We just returned from a 4 resort stay, YC, BWV, BCV, and AKV Club Level. Hardwired internet access has been disconnected at those resorts. WiFi at the same resorts and the new TV system was mixed with slow speed sometimes and drop outs. We could not watch a You Tube video without interruption.

:earsboy: Bill

7. DVCKev

DVCKev DVC Member

I don't get why they are removing the wired access?? Why wouldn't they just add the WiFi in addition to the wired, and leave the wired alone? Makes no sense and seems like a waste of our dues money to me....

8. disneynutz

Internet and TV are provided and controlled by Disney Parks and Resorts not the DVC, they let us use it. Disney signed a contract with a different vendor which did not include continuing the wired connection.

9. kphamousbr

kphamousbr Mouseketeer

We will be checked in Old Key West soon . Can anyone tell us how wifi access work at OKW ? Thank you .

10. Best Aunt

Best Aunt "That's the best-est present ever!"

When we were at BCV in March, the wifi worked okay at 7:00 am, but it was awful in the evening. Often I couldn't connect at all. I would get an error message saying that too many people were trying to use it. If you're an earlier riser, take advantage of it.

11. DisneyDaze36

DisneyDaze36 Mouseketeer

I called the Beach Club today and Arlene told me that there is both Wired and WiFi access in the villas. I hope she is correct beccause I would prefer to use the wired access. Connection speeds are always better.

12. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

I'm at BWV now and I brought my router. The wired connection would not work. The wireless has been working pretty well.

13. mlittig

mlittig DIS Veteran

I just spent a glorious 10 days at Old Key West :love: and brought my laptop down for the first time :yay: The internet connection there, at least in building 35, was excellent :thumbsup2 It was very easy to sign on and there is a flier with directions in the room :woohoo: As a side note, my 15" laptop fit into the safe nicely :goodvibes As much of a pain it was to carry my laptop, I loved having it with me :cool1:

14. n2mm

n2mm aka WALTSGIRL

slow. I'm posting from BCV right now and the mornings are a little better, but later in the day it's bad. It's like having aol dial up at times. If I log onto a site, I generally leave the computer and come back to see if it's up yet. I only use my computer to change ADRs or check a couple of things.

15. msp2mco

msp2mco DIS Veteran

When we were at BCV a month ago, the wireless wasn't good. It could have been our room location, but it took a long time to get anything done.

16. beachclub

beachclub Mouseketeer

you have to make sure you use the correct network.
    When I was here last week I chose the "disney guest" or something liek that
    and it was basically a snail connection that randomly dropped out.
    Then I tried the connection called "guest wireless" I think...it did not have the disney name in it or the WDC name in it. and that conection was perfect
    and is a disney networked connection, not someones personal connection
    cause when you log into it you have to agree to the terms.

I made this mistake cause I figured that the connection called disney guest
    was the one we were supposed to use...it made too much sense to use it, but man did it stink...

This is prob the network people are using that are complaining all over the forums that the wireless connections are slow.

17. wdwfan1

wdwfan1 DIS Veteran

When we were there in January, it was terrible. The wired service was much better. Hope it has improved.

18. beachclub

beachclub Mouseketeer

why does everyone blame the onsite network for the problem
    Maybe its your laptops or tablets that is the problem.
    Last week we were at the end of the beach club and both my laptop
    and tablet and phone had fine connections.
    If people have old wireless cards or old laptops then the signal strength
    to YOUR card could be the bottleneck...
    I know, everyone will come back and say how they have the top of the line
    wireless cards at 2g or 5g strength...

19. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

Just got home from BWV. Had no problem with my laptop. However, my friend who has a tablet had some difficulties with droppped signals.

20. disneynutz

Used a laptop, iPad, and iPhone at 4 different WDW resorts and the WiFi pretty much sucked. We don't have the the same problems or speed issues at other hotels, hot spots, or at home.

21. Best Aunt

Best Aunt "That's the best-est present ever!"

I agree with Bill. (Hey, didn't I just say that the other day in another thread?)

My iPad 2 works great at home. I posted earlier about the problems I had using it with the free WiFi at BCV in March.