How is the drive from Sanford?

Bunnies

Earning My Ears
I am having the toughest time finding airfare that isn't insanely high from our local airport to MCO. Someone suggested flying out of an airport about 1 1/2 hours away on Allegiant, but that goes in to Sanford, not MCO.

Is the drive from Sanford to WDW bad?

Not in my opinion. I live 8 miles north of Sanford and make the drive 2 to 3 times a week.

From the airport, the fastest and best way is to use SR417 which is a toll road. It takes you right to Disney. It's about $6.00 each way.
SR417 is rarely crowded and will take you about an hour.

If you don't do toll roads, you can take I4. Form the airport travel west on Lake Mary Blvd for 8 miles and then to I4 west. On a good day or time of day,you can do this in 45 minutes, on a bad day it can take upwards of 2 hours.

Thanks so much :)

A toll doesn't sound bad, esp. if it has less traffic, and the possibility of arriving an hour sooner on a bad day :)

Hello,

We drove from Sanford (Autotrain depot) to Orlando. Took about 35 to 45 min. I assume I was on I-4 because there were no tolls involved. Not a bad option.

Not in my opinion. I live 8 miles north of Sanford and make the drive 2 to 3 times a week.

From the airport, the fastest and best way is to use SR417 which is a toll road. It takes you right to Disney. It's about $6.00 each way.
SR417 is rarely crowded and will take you about an hour.

If you don't do toll roads, you can take I4. Form the airport travel west on Lake Mary Blvd for 8 miles and then to I4 west. On a good day or time of day,you can do this in 45 minutes, on a bad day it can take upwards of 2 hours.

cranbiz,

whats your suggestion coming from Orange City? I know can jump on I-4 easily but is SR417 a less crazy highway?

We flew into Sanford two years ago. Although we were not driving ourselves, we used a car service, the drive really wasn't too bad. It was well worth the savings of not flying into MCO, even with the cost of the round trip transfers.

We will be flying in/out on a Saturday. Arriving Saturday afternoon, departing EARLY the following Saturday morning.

How is I4 on Saturday's? We will have two rental cars in our party, and if I can save $24 bucks total in toll fees I would prefer to do so. TIA!!

Wow, I was just coming over here to ask this exact question. All the directions I've looked up have taken me down 417 and I was wondering how it compared to just getting onto I4.

My brother and I are traveling on Allegiant Air...cheap, cheap, cheap flight...I'm hoping the service is good.

Cranbiz...we are coming in at approx. 5pm on a Thursday. Which route would be better at that time of day (possibly rush hour traffic?)?

Thanks!

We flew into Sanford two years ago. Although we were not driving ourselves, we used a car service, the drive really wasn't too bad. It was well worth the savings of not flying into MCO, even with the cost of the round trip transfers.

Do you remember which car service you used from Sanford to Disney? I am looking into flying into Sanford, which at the moment is much cheaper, but I really don't want to rent a car. Thanks!

Cranbiz, anyone wishing to use the I-4 routing does not need to stay on Lake Mary Blvd for 8 miles to get to I-4. While that routing does avoid ALL tolls, drivers can hop onto TOLL 417 northbound from Lake Mary Blvd. just outside the airport and pay one $.50 toll and that will take them to I-4 in a quarter of the time it would take if they stayed on Lake Mary Blvd.

LisaNJ25, from Orange City your best bet is I-4 all the way to Disney since Orange City is right along I-4. But as with everyone else, if you're journey is going to send you across Orlando between 7am and 9am you'd best use the TOLL 417 beltway and go around Orlando. Likewise absolutely don't try to drive back to Orange City between 3pm and 7pm otherwise you'll face gridlock!

nkjzmom, at 5pm on a Thursday you'd be far better off to take TOLL 417 southbound direct to Disney and completely bypass downtown Orlando. But if you're flight is running late and by the time you get your car you'd cross Orlando around 7pm, the I-4 option is viable.

Everyone, be forewarned that between Sanford and Disney there are 5-6 separate toll plazas when using TOLL 417. The tolls range between $.50 to $1.75 each and there can be backups at the manual lanes. Bring a roll of quarters and you can use the exact change coin lanes and save time. BTW, TOLL 417 is also signed as the "Seminole Expressway" in Seminole County and as the "Central Florida GreeneWay" in Orange County.

BobK/Orlando

For us Alligiant flys into St Pete & Sanford & it is cheaper for us to fly into St Pete & the drive was not bad at all. About 1hr & 20mins. So if your airport flies Alligiant so you might want to check that out. for us it was 69 vs 89 each way.

Kae

Do you remember which car service you used from Sanford to Disney? I am looking into flying into Sanford, which at the moment is much cheaper, but I really don't want to rent a car. Thanks!

I really don't remember. We had a travel agent set it up. If I can figure it out, I'll let you know.

Cranbiz, anyone wishing to use the I-4 routing does not need to stay on Lake Mary Blvd for 8 miles to get to I-4. While that routing does avoid ALL tolls, drivers can hop onto TOLL 417 northbound from Lake Mary Blvd. just outside the airport and pay one $.50 toll and that will take them to I-4 in a quarter of the time it would take if they stayed on Lake Mary Blvd.

LisaNJ25, from Orange City your best bet is I-4 all the way to Disney since Orange City is right along I-4. But as with everyone else, if you're journey is going to send you across Orlando between 7am and 9am you'd best use the TOLL 417 beltway and go around Orlando. Likewise absolutely don't try to drive back to Orange City between 3pm and 7pm otherwise you'll face gridlock!

nkjzmom, at 5pm on a Thursday you'd be far better off to take TOLL 417 southbound direct to Disney and completely bypass downtown Orlando. But if you're flight is running late and by the time you get your car you'd cross Orlando around 7pm, the I-4 option is viable.

Everyone, be forewarned that between Sanford and Disney there are 5-6 separate toll plazas when using TOLL 417. The tolls range between $.50 to $1.75 each and there can be backups at the manual lanes. Bring a roll of quarters and you can use the exact change coin lanes and save time. BTW, TOLL 417 is also signed as the "Seminole Expressway" in Seminole County and as the "Central Florida GreeneWay" in Orange County.

BobK/Orlando

I understand the going north on 417 to I4, The question is just how much info do you give a person who is unfamillar with the area?

I disagree on the time savings, IMHO it's just about the same time going up to Sanford on 417 and then down I4 to LMB as it is to just stay on LMB to I4 (it is probably a little less stressful)

I agree with I4 from Orange City. I'm guessing that you are getting on at Saxon Blvd?
I do this on Wednesday nights and on Sat and Sun. Now, if you are going in during the rush hour, 417 can be a great alternate route. You will save over a half an hour going around. A trip on Saturday or Sunday just stay on I4, 99% of the time it's smooth sailing.

Also as Bob stated and I'll confirm, if using 417, have exact change/ roll of quarters. It saves time and you will find, most if not all the exit tolls are exact change or SunPass/EPass/OPass only. The mainline tolls have an attendant, the exit Tolls do not.

Thanks Cranbiz and kingbobofthenorth.

Yeah, we would get on at Saxon. I would be heading to Orlando on a Wed and back to Orange City on Friday.

So heading down and back around noon I should be safe?

Lisa, yes, I-4 should be just fine mid-day. (And it's FREE!)

BobK/Orlando

thanks Bob.. I appreciate the help. This is a last minute trip so trying to sort everything out. We are taking the train and coming in at the DeLand station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter