How far in advance can you make food for a party?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by minnie1012, Aug 9, 2011.

1. minnie1012

minnie1012 DIS Veteran

I am having a party on Saturday for my daughter's birthday and wanted to pre-make some things so I don't have to do everything at the last minute. How far ahead can I make things where they won't go bad or not taste fresh? Below are some things I am having. I'm also having chicken but I can't premake that and some appetizers that I didn't think I could pre make either.

I am making:

pasta salad
    cole slaw
    potato salad
    green salad
    baked beans

pulled pork
    brisket

cupcakes
    cookies
    chocolate covered pretzels.

I know it sounds like alot but my husband is one of 7 so having a simple birthday party for my daughter is a huge ordeal!

thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AKL_Megs

AKL_Megs <font color=blue>I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!<br><font

Hmm... There isn't much there that I would make ahead of time.

Probably really only the chocolate covered pretzels.

Are you really making the baked beans? I'd be buying those if I was making the pasta salad and potato salad and the cole slaw and the green salad... :faint: That's a lot of making! :rotfl:

The meats I would make the day of. The salads I would assemble the day of. I would probably boil the potatoes for the potato salad, and boil the noodles and chop up veggies for the pasta salad the day BEFORE, but I wouldn't add sauces until the morning of. Same with the cole slaw.

The cakes and cookies I would make the evening before, but you could get away with making them two days out.

Good luck to you, you look like you will be busy!

4. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

The top three you're fine, they'll last in the fridge days and days and they're much better made a few days in advance, lets the flavours meld, lets the cabbage wilt a bit, etc. Same for the baked beans.

Green salad you want to do day of, maaaaybe the night before but only if you're not dressing it until service at all.

Chocolate-covered pretzels you can make weeks in advance, they're fine. Remember to temper your chocolate, it's summer!

Cupcakes you can make in advance and freeze, unfrosted, and defrost (freezer defrost not frosting defrost, heh) to decorate the morning of.

Cookies you can do a day or so in advance, OR you can make all the dough, freeze it in logs (plop onto saran in a log shape and wrap and squeeze and roll into a nice log) and then slice and bake day of.

I got nuttin specific on the meat, though I'd think they'd be fine a couple days before as they're marinatey things.

5. minnie1012

minnie1012 DIS Veteran

6. AKL_Megs

AKL_Megs <font color=blue>I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!<br><font

7. Kellydelly

Kellydelly DIS Veteran

I personally wouldn't make anything more in advance than the day before except the pretzels.

8. justhat

justhat <font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick

I think you could do the cole slaw cause when I make that I always refrigerate it a few hours before we eat it. So if you did it the night before, fine. Pasta salad and potato salad you could do the night before too, but that would be about it.

Baked good the night before too.

My son's birthday party is Saturday also, 10am. I'm making his cake the day before, we're buying sandwiches from a deli (already ordered), getting some fruit platters, veggie platters, and then making hot dogs and chicken nuggets for the kids the day of.

9. minnie1012

minnie1012 DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone : )

10. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

pasta salad 1- 2 days ahead(tastes better to me the day after)
    cole slaw 2 days ahead
    potato salad 1 day ahead
    green salad day of
    baked beans hmm I am not sure on that one? I suppose do early and just heat day of should work?

pulled pork Day of
    brisket Day of

cupcakes day before
    cookies day before
    chocolate covered pretzels. 2 days before

11. dngnb8

dngnb8 Disneyphile

I will go be category

Make these a day or two ahead. The flavors will blend well.
    pasta salad
    potato salad
    pulled pork
    brisket
    cookies
    chocolate covered pretzels.

Make that day. Dont dress the green salad or slaw until just before serving so it stays crisp
    cole slaw
    green salad
    baked beans
    cupcakes

12. MnMomtoboys

MnMomtoboys DIS Veteran

Are you using crock pots for anything? I cook the meat in the crock pot all the time.

For our sons grad party I started the beans early about 6 hours before. Set it on low and add everything to it. I stir it a few times during the cooking.

13. etoiles

etoiles DIS Veteran

Interesting how everyone has a different opinion on what should be made at what time.

I would make the chocolate pretzels anytime since as long as the bag is sealed they should stay fresh for a while. Cookies you could always make and freeze ahead as well. I do this for my Christmas cookies.

One day ahead:
    pasta salad
    potato salad
    coleslaw
    cupcakes

Day of:
    Meat
    Salad
    Beans - I would make these in a crockpot so it takes care of itself and is one less thing to worry about.

14. lizabu

lizabu Disney Maniac

I would do all my baking and freeze it and pull it out the morning of the party. Most of the other stuff can be done the day before.