How far in advance can you make food for a party?

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
I am having a party on Saturday for my daughter's birthday and wanted to pre-make some things so I don't have to do everything at the last minute. How far ahead can I make things where they won't go bad or not taste fresh? Below are some things I am having. I'm also having chicken but I can't premake that and some appetizers that I didn't think I could pre make either.

I am making:

pasta salad
cole slaw
potato salad
green salad
baked beans

pulled pork
brisket

cupcakes
cookies
chocolate covered pretzels.

I know it sounds like alot but my husband is one of 7 so having a simple birthday party for my daughter is a huge ordeal!

thanks!

Hmm... There isn't much there that I would make ahead of time.

Probably really only the chocolate covered pretzels.

Are you really making the baked beans? I'd be buying those if I was making the pasta salad and potato salad and the cole slaw and the green salad... :faint: That's a lot of making! :rotfl:

The meats I would make the day of. The salads I would assemble the day of. I would probably boil the potatoes for the potato salad, and boil the noodles and chop up veggies for the pasta salad the day BEFORE, but I wouldn't add sauces until the morning of. Same with the cole slaw.

The cakes and cookies I would make the evening before, but you could get away with making them two days out.

Good luck to you, you look like you will be busy!

The top three you're fine, they'll last in the fridge days and days and they're much better made a few days in advance, lets the flavours meld, lets the cabbage wilt a bit, etc. Same for the baked beans.

Green salad you want to do day of, maaaaybe the night before but only if you're not dressing it until service at all.

Chocolate-covered pretzels you can make weeks in advance, they're fine. Remember to temper your chocolate, it's summer!

Cupcakes you can make in advance and freeze, unfrosted, and defrost (freezer defrost not frosting defrost, heh) to decorate the morning of.

Cookies you can do a day or so in advance, OR you can make all the dough, freeze it in logs (plop onto saran in a log shape and wrap and squeeze and roll into a nice log) and then slice and bake day of.

I got nuttin specific on the meat, though I'd think they'd be fine a couple days before as they're marinatey things.

Are you really making the baked beans? I'd be buying those if I was making the pasta salad and potato salad and the cole slaw and the green salad... :faint: That's a lot of making! :rotfl:

I have never made baked beans before but saw a Paula Dean one and wanted to try. I probably shouldn't because my inlaws are super picky and won't have a problem telling me if something is awful!

Thanks

I have never made baked beans before but saw a Paula Dean one and wanted to try. I probably shouldn't because my inlaws are super picky and won't have a problem telling me if something is awful!

Thanks
I say (in my best Paula Deen) "Do it, Girl!" Paula Deen recipes are AMAZING, and your in-laws don't have to eat them if they don't like them!

I personally wouldn't make anything more in advance than the day before except the pretzels.

I think you could do the cole slaw cause when I make that I always refrigerate it a few hours before we eat it. So if you did it the night before, fine. Pasta salad and potato salad you could do the night before too, but that would be about it.

Baked good the night before too.

My son's birthday party is Saturday also, 10am. I'm making his cake the day before, we're buying sandwiches from a deli (already ordered), getting some fruit platters, veggie platters, and then making hot dogs and chicken nuggets for the kids the day of.

I am having a party on Saturday for my daughter's birthday and wanted to pre-make some things so I don't have to do everything at the last minute. How far ahead can I make things where they won't go bad or not taste fresh? Below are some things I am having. I'm also having chicken but I can't premake that and some appetizers that I didn't think I could pre make either.

I am making:

pasta salad
cole slaw
potato salad
green salad
baked beans

pulled pork
brisket

cupcakes
cookies

I know it sounds like alot but my husband is one of 7 so having a simple birthday party for my daughter is a huge ordeal!

thanks!

pasta salad 1- 2 days ahead(tastes better to me the day after)
cole slaw 2 days ahead
potato salad 1 day ahead
green salad day of
baked beans hmm I am not sure on that one? I suppose do early and just heat day of should work?

pulled pork Day of
brisket Day of

cupcakes day before
cookies day before
chocolate covered pretzels. 2 days before

I will go be category

Make these a day or two ahead. The flavors will blend well.
pasta salad
potato salad
pulled pork
brisket
cookies

Make that day. Dont dress the green salad or slaw until just before serving so it stays crisp
cole slaw
green salad
baked beans
cupcakes

Are you using crock pots for anything? I cook the meat in the crock pot all the time.

For our sons grad party I started the beans early about 6 hours before. Set it on low and add everything to it. I stir it a few times during the cooking.

Interesting how everyone has a different opinion on what should be made at what time.

I would make the chocolate pretzels anytime since as long as the bag is sealed they should stay fresh for a while. Cookies you could always make and freeze ahead as well. I do this for my Christmas cookies.

One day ahead:
pasta salad
potato salad
coleslaw
cupcakes

Day of:
Meat
Salad
Beans - I would make these in a crockpot so it takes care of itself and is one less thing to worry about.

I would do all my baking and freeze it and pull it out the morning of the party. Most of the other stuff can be done the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter