How early do you go the airport?

JessetheCowgirl

DIS Veteran
I don't want to feel rushed, but I also don't want to be there TOO long since we will have 4 small children with us!!!

TIA

We usually fly out on the 7am flight, so we try to get to the airport around 5 - check in, go through security, let the kids walk around a little while...then hopefully they're ready for a little nap on the flight!

We always like to be there early enough in case there are long lines for security or check in. Last Dec, I flew to West Palm Beach, and DH got me to the airport a little less than 1/2 hour before flight (probably didn't want me to leave??) and I didn't, cause I missed boarding, and had to go on the next flight (luckily that was an hour later, so DH stuck around for a bit).

I also vote for 2 hours early.

When you think about it, they start loading the aircraft 30 minutes before the departure time so you are really only there 90 minutes before they start loading.

In that time you can check in, check your bags, leave time for a backup at security, locate your departure gate, use the restrooms, and more often than not grab a quick bite to eat at a counter service restaurant.

My flight home a couple weeks ago, I only had 1 hour from the time I walked in the airport door to my departure time, and with a security backlog, even though I did make the flight (barely) it was not a good experience, in fact it was a high stress experience.

we're always there 2 hour- 1 1/2 hours before flight time. let the kids run around and exert energy. they'll be "penned up" on the plane and maybe get tired enuf to nap!

I get to the Orlando airport 60 minutes in advance. I always have plenty of time! Ive actually gotten there 30 mins before my flight and still made it!

I am in the 60 minute group, but I have no kids. My only exception is Atlanta where I aim for 90 minutes since they have the world's worst security lines.

DS & I get there 2hrs early
When we fly with DH we'll need to get there up to 3hrs early - his name is on the "most wanted" list

I like to play it safe and do 2 hours. That accounts for car return, check-in, security, etc. So it's usually less than an hour before boarding.

I'm staying across the street from the airport Thursday night so I don't have to worry about Friday morning traffic or possible accidents. I still plan to check out of the hotel and walk over to the airport about 6 am for my 7:15 am flight. I will already have my boarding passes and since I'm carrying on my bag, only have to get through security.

I still get to the airport 2hrs ahead of time. I have paid to much money to miss my flight. We don't have the option of $49, $59, or even $150 deals like Jet Blue and Southwest airlines offers.

The minimum fare leaving of MSP going anywhere it $200+ with tax. So for my $200 per person....you bet I am there early with a smile. :teeth:

uva185 said:
I get to the Orlando airport 60 minutes in advance. I always have plenty of time! Ive actually gotten there 30 mins before my flight and still made it!

I agree about the Orlando airport. We arrived 2 hours early for our trip home. It was a Sat. eve. We were checked and thru security in 15 min. That was a very long wait for the plane. THe kids kept asking why we had to leave the hotel pool so early, just to wait at the airport. I had to agree.

I thought this might be the exception, and we just lucked out, but maybe not?

:flower:

It seems that 60 minutes is good for Orlando but I have had to be there much earlier at other airports.

Twice I have gotten stuck in security lines at Pittsburgh that stretch out into the covered walkway in the parking lot of the airport! :guilty: That is not much fun when dressed for Florida and the Pittsburgh temperature is near zero!! One time the wait was close to four hours long and no one was making their planes. We finally gave up after 3 1/2 hours and a missed flight and went back 24 hours later!

Just a few weeks ago I waited 2 hours to get through the line at Pittsburgh and this is after waiting in line to check in my luggage! They really need to figure out a way to speed up security there!

newholidayx2 said:
When we fly with DH we'll need to get there up to 3hrs early - his name is on the "most wanted" list

This one caught my eye. Are you serious about your DH or did I just not get the joke? The "most wanted" list?

We're usually at the airport 60 minutes before our flight. And one time we were running late that we got there half hour before our flight! We made it, but it got me nervouse cause I thought we would miss our flight.

I know we should be there 2 hours before the flight time, but I just don't like waiting that long and my kids get bored quickly at the airport.

For myself, I get there 60 minutes if I'm not checking bags, and 90 minutes if I am.

But with 4 kids, I'd say 90 minutes regardless, more if you think potty stops and/or a stop at a food court will be needed. Trying to get 4 kids moving the same direction at the same time with all the distractions an airport offers is a little like herding cats...

Jillpie said:
This one caught my eye. Are you serious about your DH or did I just not get the joke? The "most wanted" list?

Some people have a name that's the same or similar to someone on the terrorist watch list. It's hard to get off that list and people who find out they're on the list usually allow extra time for security. Ted Kennedy was on that list and it took him months to get off. He's a recognized public figure, knew the people to call and it still took awhile.

Most airlines will let you standby at no extra charge if you miss your flight. Get to the airport earlier if there aren't very many flights to your destination, or if you have the last flight of the day.

Definately 2 hours. We were there in January and the lines were very long to check in. With Southwest being there early can make a big difference on your seats...just in case thats what you are flying. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter