How does upgrading tickets to AP work with a package?

PeasandCarrots

Adventuring at Theme Parks!
We usually buy APs. However, next year we know we are going in June, but unsure if we want APs for that year. If we get a package (room, tickets and if available free dining), how does it work if we change our minds and decide to upgrade to APs when we get there? Do we just go to guest services before using any of the tickets and they apply the price of the tickets to the AP? If you buy a package how do they know which portion was the ticket price?

Thank you!

Tickets that are part of a package are considered to be discounted, so you will want to use them at least once. Once you've used them, go to guest relations and tell them you want to upgrade your tickets to annual passes. As long as you used them at least once, they will credit you with the full gate price towards the upgrade.

Tickets that are part of a package are considered to be discounted, so you will want to use them at least once. Once you've used them, go to guest relations and tell them you want to upgrade your tickets to annual passes. As long as you used them at least once, they will credit you with the full gate price towards the upgrade.

Ditto to all.

Wow that's great to know thank you! So once I'm INSIDE the park then go to guest services and all the money spent on tickets will go towards the APs? So we won't lose 1 day's worth of money by going into the park first?

Thanks!

Wow that's great to know thank you!

1. So once I'm INSIDE the park then go to guest services and

2. all the money spent on tickets will go towards the APs?

3. So we won't lose 1 day's worth of money by going into the park first?

Thanks!

1. You can do it inside that first park, if you like, but it can be done any time after that first park usage.
Later that day, inside the park.
Later that day as you exit the park at an outside ticket booth
or at DTD.
The next day as you go into another park.
Whatever fits your schedule.

2. Yes. All.

3. If they subtracted "days" value from your original ticket, it would not be an "upgrade" of the original ticket.

They compensate by back-dating your AP to the first day that you USED your original ticket.
(Which, if you decide to upgrade on the day you first use your original ticket, won't matter a bit.)

I actually looked into this for September. We were told that we had to wait until we got to the ticket window on our trip to upgrade since I got my package through AAA.

Thanks for asking this and saving me a post! :D We usually go every other year so AP's are not for us, but this coming year because of different family going at different times, I almost have my husband talked into our September trip (already booked) and going AGAIN in February. If I convince him, I was wondering if I could upgrade my FD package tickets to AP's. I thought it was fine, but now I know for sure I can! Of course, I guess that means we'll miss out on using a bounce back or February FD offer so I'll have to figure out what's the best thing to do....

Thanks for asking this and saving me a post! :D We usually go every other year so AP's are not for us, but this coming year because of different family going at different times, I almost have my husband talked into our September trip (already booked) and going AGAIN in February. If I convince him, I was wondering if I could upgrade my FD package tickets to AP's. I thought it was fine, but now I know for sure I can! Of course, I guess that means we'll miss out on using a bounce back or February FD offer so I'll have to figure out what's the best thing to do....

When I booked my FD trip last week I asked a cast member about upgrading to AP and she told me in order to keep my FD I needed to purchase a 2 day park ticket on top of paying for my AP upgrade.

When I booked my FD trip last week I asked a cast member about upgrading to AP and she told me in order to keep my FD I needed to purchase a 2 day park ticket on top of paying for my AP upgrade.

That is 100% false.

One thing to always keep in mind...
The "phone CM's" are not trained in, nor do they have any inside knowledge of,
WDW operations.
But, that does not stop them from making up answers, regardless of how wrong they may be.

Also know that the answers on these boards can be MUCH more accurate, even though
most of us don't work for Disney.
Why?
Because if any of us makes an error in our replies, it only takes a matter of minutes for
a half-dozen, or so, other posters to jump in and correct the blooper info.
(Don't ask me how I know this.) ;)

That kind of nearly instant "peer review" makes these boards invaluable when
discussing the "rules of Disney."

----------------
As to the info that a guest must buy a 2-day ticket to get Free Dining, THAT is true.
But, that is actually a 2-day MINIMUM ticket.
Guests can purchase a much "larger" ticket, up-front, if they choose.
(And, since advance FP+ requires a valid ticket for every day that FP+ is booked,
it would make more sense to purchase a ticket with enough "days" to cover your
upcoming trip.)

AND, once that ticket is PICKED UP and USED (at least one time) by a guest, that same ticket can be upgraded in any way the guest chooses...
with no effect on the Free Dining entitlements.

Last edited:
There is almost always conflicting info on how this works...All 3 CMs (on the phone)...you'll probably get 3 different answers. Personally, my experience a few months ago was a nightmare. My case WAS slightly different, but the "jist" of it was the same, and I was completely mislead by a phone CM. After a long visit with the MK Guest Srvcs guys-n-gals, it all got worked out though!
I'd trust Robo with any ticket question over the nice call center folks... (as mentioned, most of them are not trained in the Ticket Sciences!)

That is 100% false.

One thing to always keep in mind...
The "phone CM's" are not trained in, nor do they have any inside knowledge of,
WDW operations.
But, that does not stop them from making up answers, regardless of how wrong they may be.

Also know that the answers on these boards can be MUCH more accurate, even though
most of us don't work for Disney.
Why?
Because if any of us makes an error in our replies, it only takes a matter of minutes for
a half-dozen, or so, other posters to jump in and correct the blooper info.
(Don't ask me how I know this.) ;)

That kind of nearly instant "peer review" makes these boards invaluable when
discussing the "rules of Disney."

----------------
As to the info that a guest must buy a 2-day ticket to get Free Dining, THAT is true.
But, that is actually a 2-day MINIMUM ticket.
Guests can purchase a much "larger" ticket, up-front, if they choose.
(And, since advance FP+ requires a valid ticket for every day that FP+ is booked,
it would make more sense to purchase a ticket with enough "days" to cover your
upcoming trip.)

AND, once that ticket is PICKED UP and USED (at least one time) by a guest, that same ticket can be upgraded in any way the guest chooses...
with no effect on the Free Dining entitlements.

Oh wow! The CM on the phone even put me on hold to verify her answer to me. Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

I can upgrade my 10 day park hopper to an AP once I've used my hopper for a day and my FD won't be affected?

Thank you for your help!

What happens if I already have an AP and purchased the 2 day hopper. Do I still need to enter the park? My AP expire on Aug.15th and our FD trip is starting on Sept. 5th. I know I will get a discount if I renew with in the 30 day window. Can I still get the discount if I renew with the 2 day hopper?

If you understand what I am saying, "Thank You".

What happens if I already have an AP and purchased the 2 day hopper.

1. Do I still need to enter the park? My AP expire on Aug.15th and our FD trip is starting on Sept. 5th.

2. I know I will get a discount if I renew with in the 30 day window.

3. Can I still get the discount if I renew with the 2 day hopper?

4. If you understand what I am saying, "Thank You".

1. That won't be necessary.
2. Correct.
3. Yes.
4. Very clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter