How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?*Final Thoughts & Farewells* 10/7 p100

So our trek was coming to a close. Cynthia has promised to do an update with our PP pics. She copied the wrong file for me. So instead of PP pics, I got Cynthia's AK pics. Well, OK, I can make some use of them. No Problem!

As we were nearing the end of our trek we passed the infamous lion hang-out. Do they call this Pride Rock? No matter, I NEVER get a good picture of the lions. I really need someone to donate a good lion/lioness picture. If anyone has one, and I know some of you do, PLEASE post!

IMG_3189.jpg

See what I mean - I almost got him. He was there and I missed again!!!!!!!

IMG_3192.jpg

When we returned to civilization I took a few more pictures.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

I wish I had the camera out for the group shots at the end of the tour, but you'll just have to wait for the PP version.

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

Lonnie imparted some last minute words of wisdom on us.

IMG_3199.jpg

Bye Lonnie - We will miss you!

IMG_3200.jpg

Next stop - Dawa Bar.

IMG_3202.jpg

The ladies sort of surprised me with this Dawa bar stop. Not sure why. I guess I just didn't feel like drinking at the time. It seemed too early, or something. Strange, but true. So I just asked for a glass of ice water. BORING!

I will admit, this is one cool bar. I must stop here in December. If I don't, then I am officially crazy. Ice water at the Dawa bar is just not cool!

IMG_3203.jpg

MMMMM....That sangria sounds nice.

IMG_3204.jpg

Here's what I didn't drink: (Still not sure why I didn't have a drink - weird?????)

IMG_3205.jpg

I know C had the African margarita and she said it was EXCELLENT!. Not sure what everyone else had.

Now here's where I am going to use Cynthia's pictures. I wouldn't normally steal another person's pix, but she sent them to me on CD and I uploaded them thinking they were the PP pix. I have to put them to good use. Right?

2011FG511.jpg

See the guy on the left. Well, let's just say that he knew how to shake his booty...Overtime!

Obviously, he had made a pit stop at the Dawa bar before hitting the dance floor.

2011FG514.jpg

Oh yeah, shake that groove thing!

2011FG512.jpg

Let's just say that for the 90 or seconds he was on the dance floor, he kept us all entertained.

(thank you Cynthia)

After everyone was refreshed, we did a little shopping where I stopped and bought one of our lovely DIS friends a mug. You see - Jackie (charleston princess) had to cancel her 2011 summer Disney trip and I knew she loved this mug, so I purchased it. I was so thrilled they had it. In fact, I think C was the first to find it!

3c230ee9.jpg

I wasn't the only one to buy this mug. I think C and Cynthia both purchased. It's so popular. I think it should be the official DIS mug. I know I love mine!!!!!

More scenery:
IMG_3206.jpg

Our Next stop was Asia:

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

Next, we had a date with the Yeti. Surprisingly, the stand by line was very reasonable in length. I passed the time taking, yup - you guessed it, MORE pictures.

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Continued........

Continued.......

I never realized the views were so good from the regular EE queue.

IMG_3214.jpg

There are so many cool things to look at (and take pictures of!)

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

I love this picture. I seriously think Everest is such a cool mountain. I mean the real one in Nepal!)

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

Talk about a lack of safety code. Don't send me this electrician!

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

So how was Everest - well, great as always. I will admit, I will still a little gun shy about the possibility of a headache and I asked NOT to go in the end of the train.

Bad picture, but look at the cool riding partner I got. I love little kids. They're fearless! I wish I was that fearless!

IMG_3223.jpg

After the ride there were more photo-ops!

IMG_3227.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'd hate to run into this creature at night!

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

I have a confession to make. I am an Everest junkie. I love reading about the expeditions - the good, the bad, the downright impossible.

IMG_3230.jpg

Wow - they even have Christmas decorations in this shop!

IMG_3232.jpg

Oh Brother. This must be the work of the same electrician!

IMG_3234.jpg

After our ride on EE I took some more pictures of some of my favorite AK spots! Gosh - I love this park!

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

Continued........

Continued........

Surprisingly, that was the last picture I took in the AK. Well, except for this:

IMG_3244.jpg

I don't quite this whole theme. It looks very "fallish" to me and this was taken in spring! Whatever!

So, can anybody guess what we did when we got back to the beach club?

Anybody? ANYBODY?

Well, it involved a can in a can in a can. Please don't ask me to explain that. Cynthia or Happy Dog will need to give that explanation. All I know is it involved:

Cream

Lemonade

Ice

Mango Rum

Well, I think the original recipe called for vodka, but since we had a whole bottle of mango rum sitting in the room, we decided to change things up a bit.

The preparation:

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

The result:

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

The infamous picture that I think sums up our trip so perfectly!

IMG_3245.jpg

And that drink was delicious (and probably a major reason why we didn't get hungry between lunch and dinner :laughing:)

So we drank, we swam, we laughed, we noodled (and perfected the fine art of it), and we passed the rest of the afternoon.

After a few hours it was time to call it an afternoon. We all had to get ready for tonight's ADR. In keeping with the African Trek theme, our dinner was planned for none other than JIKO!

Up Next.....JIKO!

Actually.....I hope our PP pictures are Next. Stay Tuned!!!!!!

Hmm...would it necessarily be a bad thing if your pics from Dawa Bar were starting to persuade me to give AK another try?? :laughing: (I mean, your pictures of all of the gorgeous scenery and animals and interesting cultures!)

(The Dawa Colada sounds :thumbsup2)

MEK, since you asked for lion pictures....here's one that I took last year and was very happy with. :)

IMG_3507.jpg

Glenn -

I :love: this picture!!!!!! It is fabulous! I am so jealous!!!!! Thank you so much for posting it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Why, Oh Why, can't I get a picture like this?????

Hmm...would it necessarily be a bad thing if your pics from Dawa Bar were starting to persuade me to give AK another try?? :laughing: (I mean, your pictures of all of the gorgeous scenery and animals and interesting cultures!)

(The Dawa Colada sounds :thumbsup2)

NO - It would a GOOD thing if you gave AK another try. I mean, come on, you were still in a wheel chair the last time you were there. That's not fun! You definitely need to go back, especially if you are going to take pictures. It's the absolute best park for pictures. Hands Down!!!!! Please give it another try. The afternoon parade is also very fun. I love the Christmas version, so I will definitely take pictures of it in December. I can't wait!

I can't believe I didn't have a drink at the dawa bar. But I PROMISE to taste something in December and you know I will take a picture of it! :rotfl:

I actually meant to post a real life update tonight.

In less than two weeks Brian will be leaving for college. I almost can't believe it! I have the second bed in his room completely covered with supplies. He is going to the OBX tomorrow for a week. While he is gone I am going to try to pack just to see if we will have enough room in the subaru for everything. I really don't want to take two cars, but at least its only two hours and not 5 or 6.

I finally had my arm pit clogged sweat gland completely removed today by a general surgeon. It was the size of a marble and absolutely disgusting. It's starting to hurt a bit now. But I'm going running tomorrow no matter what. The weather here is fabulous.

Denny finally got some time off from work!!!!! :worship::cool1::woohoo::yay::cheer2: He will be off to help move Brian in, but then we are taking a long weekend and going to Williamsburg, Virginia. We spent hours and hours debating where to go - Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, but finally settled on Williamsburg because it is so much closer. We rented a timeshare through VRBO. I know it will not be anywhere close to DVC, but hopefully it will be OK. The price was excellent. We plan to go to Busch Gardens (how could we not?) and hopefully Yorktown. There is a wonderful sunset cruise there that I am very interested in. I also want to take a ghost tour. I am really looking forward to it. We are actually letting Nick miss two days of soccer preseason (OMG - Horrors!) and we invited his GF to go. She is so super sweet and polite that I really enjoy being around her. Plus, even though they are only juniors in high school, they seem to have a very nice, genuine relationship. They really seem to enjoy each other's company and they act like kids when they are around each other. When I took her to the beach she thanked me at least 5 times. With the way some kids act nowadays, that made major points in my book!

He will be off to help move Brian in, but then we are taking a long weekend and going to Williamsburg, Virginia. We spent hours and hours debating where to go - Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, but finally settled on Williamsburg because it is so much closer. We rented a timeshare through VRBO. I know it will not be anywhere close to DVC, but hopefully it will be OK. The price was excellent. We plan to go to Busch Gardens (how could we not?) and hopefully Yorktown. There is a wonderful sunset cruise there that I am very interested in. I also want to take a ghost tour. I am really looking forward to it.

I have done a ghost tour in williamsburg and it was fun. So much so that i have a book somewhere of some more ghost stories from the area.

The lost on safari is great and potent. :laughing:

Fabulous pictures at AK and I have brought the Can in a can in a can and it is a hit. The mango rum really makes it. I am just trying to find something a little less caloric that the cream. :rolleyes:

The trek looks like so much fun. Time to start saving that change so I can do it. :rotfl:

Sorry, I had to post and run earlier...we were going to watch something on TV :happytv: and I had to tell Judy I'd be a couple minutes, while I went and found that lion picture. Speaking of which, I'm glad you liked it. You'll get one someday, I'm sure. It's just the luck of the timing.

I liked your Animal Kingdom pictures. There's so much to photograph there.

Have fun in Williamsburg...it's a great place. If they have any 18th century plays going on while you're there, I recommend those. If you like a particular scene, you applaud loudly and they do it again, right on the spot. It's hilarious. Oh, if you ever get a chance to see the guy who plays the glass armonica, that's really cool too.

Great update Mary Ellen! I'm sure Cynthia will be happy you put her pics to good use! You got some beautiful ones too!

I love all the fun items in the EE queue! We rarely do stand-by on anything - only when it's so short we only get a run by.

The Dawa bar looks fun - especially that margarita!:cloud9:

Mmmm You had the can can drinks! :dance3: :dance3:

Edit: I forgot to mention have you seen Touch the Top with Erik Weihenmayer - first blind man to climb Mt. E? He's competing on Expedition Impossible right now. http://www.touchthetop.com/ Amazing man!

Mary Ellen your pictures are making me soo excited about Animal Kingdom!!! Can't wait to visit it in one months time!! :cool1:

I hope you manage to get back to the Dawa bar for a proper drink on your next trip and get a good picture of the lion.

Lol at the guy shaking his groove thing!

I'm glad to hear your arm is better and enjoy your mini break! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Looking forward to reading more. goody! I'm so excited:banana::banana:

I am determined to keep this TR going. I would like to finish a few weeks before I leave for Hilton Head. I definitely think I am on track for that! So read away!

I have done a ghost tour in williamsburg and it was fun. So much so that i have a book somewhere of some more ghost stories from the area.

Do you remember which tour you did? I am thinking about the Ghosts and Legends Tour. It got great reviews on trip advisor. I have always wanted to take a ghost tour.
The lost on safari is great and potent. :laughing:

So I've heard. I really need to try one. It's still on my bucket list. But that African margarita sounds pretty good too. ;)

Fabulous pictures at AK and I have brought the Can in a can in a can and it is a hit. The mango rum really makes it. I am just trying to find something a little less caloric that the cream. :rolleyes:

:

Thanks!

And, yes, if there was a low cal sub for the cream it really would be the perfect adult beverage! When I saw the ingredients I thought to myself "Oh well, you're on vacation. It will just blend with all the other calories you are consuming this week".

The trek looks like so much fun. Time to start saving that change so I can do it. :rotfl:

The trek was fun and I definitely recommend saving up for it. :thumbsup2

Great update Mary Ellen! I'm sure Cynthia will be happy you put her pics to good use! You got some beautiful ones too!

!

I hope she won't mind. I only borrowed three! I just had to write about the dancing man at the Dawa bar. :laughing:

I love all the fun items in the EE queue! We rarely do stand-by on anything - only when it's so short we only get a run by.

I almost never do standby except when the line is super short and then there's no time to take pix. This was perfect timing. The line moved just slow enough for picture taking.

The Dawa bar looks fun - especially that margarita!:cloud9:

The Dawa bar is one cool looking bar. I enjoyed the up close look at it. That's what happens when you drink at noon. :rotfl: You get the whole bar to yourself.

Mmmm You had the can can drinks! :dance3: :dance3:

We sure did - several pitchers full. They were quite good! :thumbsup2

Edit: I forgot to mention have you seen Touch the Top with Erik Weihenmayer - first blind man to climb Mt. E? He's competing on Expedition Impossible right now. http://www.touchthetop.com/ Amazing man!

Now, I have not seen it. Thanks for the link. I will definitely be checking it out. I can't imagine climbing Everest to begin with, let alone being blind. Wow!

Mary Ellen your pictures are making me soo excited about Animal Kingdom!!! Can't wait to visit it in one months time!! :cool1:

You are going to have a great time!!!!! I love that park. It's total eye candy for me. I take pictures (lots of them) every time I visit. I can't help it. It's an addiction. :rotfl:

I hope you manage to get back to the Dawa bar for a proper drink on your next trip and get a good picture of the lion.

I have a much better chance of the proper drink then the elusive lion. Maybe I need to try the first safari of the morning and THEN go to EE. I always do it in reverse. Hmmmm - That's a thought!

Lol at the guy shaking his groove thing!

!

That was too funny!

I'm glad to hear your arm is better and enjoy your mini break! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Uggh - my arm hurts a lot this morning and they didn't give me pain meds. Not that I want pain meds, so I guess I'll have to take some Motrin and hope it helps.

We will definitely enjoy our mini break! Thanks!

Great update Mary Ellen! Drinks by the pool sound like a great way to spend an afternoon. :goodvibes

Sorry about your armpit, but I'm glad you're on the mend!

So no NH... but Virginia sounds great! I've always wanted to visit Williamsburg. I'm sure we'll get there some day.

Great update Mary Ellen! Drinks by the pool sound like a great way to spend an afternoon. :goodvibes

It was another great afternoon at the quiet pool. Notice that I only took pictures of the drinks, but not us! :rotfl:

Sorry about your armpit, but I'm glad you're on the mend!

Thanks! I learned a lesson here - if you ever get a clogged sweat gland, no matter how small, have it wacked out then. This stupid thing got big overnight and I should have gone right to the surgeon. It was pretty nasty looking and she struggled a bit to get it out. I know - I was awake and that was creepy!

So no NH... but Virginia sounds great! I've always wanted to visit Williamsburg. I'm sure we'll get there some day.

It was a tough decision. I really want to go to NH, but I looked at the miles and its a 450 mile drive. It just seemed like a little too far to go for only three nights. I would have loved to stay longer, but we are taking Nick and he would have to miss more preseason.

Williamsburg is only 250 miles and its not a bad drive traffic wise. So I basically picked mileage over location. But I will get back up there to NH! I also found some adorable cottages in Maine. My ideal trip would be White Mountains then over to Portland - just not enough time!

So we drank, we swam, we laughed, we noodled (and perfected the fine art of it), and we passed the rest of the afternoon.

I'm picturing this as being video worthy. :laughing:

I enjoyed seeing all of the Animal Kingdom pictures. That park has so many cool details.

In less than two weeks Brian will be leaving for college. I almost can't believe it!

... we invited his GF to go. She is so super sweet and polite that I really enjoy being around her. Plus, even though they are only juniors in high school, they seem to have a very nice, genuine relationship. They really seem to enjoy each other's company and they act like kids when they are around each other. When I took her to the beach she thanked me at least 5 times. With the way some kids act nowadays, that made major points in my book!

Sounds like a very nice girl. :thumbsup2

Best of everything to the college son. Such an exciting time for him!

I'm picturing this as being video worthy. :laughing:

!

I know that my noodling skills were definitely video worthy. I kept flipping over. :rotfl: Seriously, how could something that looks so easy be such a challenge! Everyone else remained motionless. Nope. Not me! :rolleyes1

I enjoyed seeing all of the Animal Kingdom pictures. That park has so many cool details.

Glad you liked. I love that park for pictures. It's definitely my fav for using the camera!

Sounds like a very nice girl. :thumbsup2

She really is very nice and so polite. I am not used to that. It seems like so many kids act entitled to everything. She was genuinely appreciative. If she hadn't acted that way I wouldn't even think about inviting her to go away with us. I like that the two of them really act like friends. It's nice.

Best of everything to the college son. Such an exciting time for him!

Thanks MeMom. He needs all the help and prayers he can get. I think he is in a little over his head, but I also think this is the only way for him to grow up a bit.

Do you remember which tour you did? I am thinking about the Ghosts and Legends Tour. It got great reviews on trip advisor. I have always wanted to take a ghost tour.

Gosh we did it years ago. I am thinking 2002 after 9-11 would not let us do the annual class trip to Williamsburg. A bunch of moms took the kids over Spring break instead. I am sure another mom booked it so I have no idea.

We did meet and tour around the colonial buildings at dusk. Quite a few historical stories and everyone was quite entertained.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sorry this took so long, I had to redo the whole darn update!! It didn't help that the way they numbered the pictures, they really weren't in order. Guide one's pics were numbered 001, 002 etc. Guide 2' s were 001-2, 002-2. Unfortunately no matter how I sorted, they'd upload like 001, 001-2, 002, 002-2 etc and they were then all mixed up!!!

But fyi...drink pics in the last update are from blender #2! We had one blender with vodka, one with the mango rum. Everyone liked the rum best and we were greeted to applause as we carried the blender to the pool. Not by our group, but by other villa guests envying our frothy concoction whit one commenting "now that's applause worthy!".

Ok back to the PP trek pics. Seriously they were HUGE (which makes no sense as I didn't change my PB settings so it's something with the original format of the PP pics, I had the same issue with the regular PP ones. Which reminds me, some haven't been posted from this trip from our afternoon in France after les chefs I think so I'll get right on that. :rotfl: I am SO lame, been nuts with cruise prep and work. Darn life and all that rot.

One of the very cool things about the Wild Africa Trek is that it includes a photo CD. The guides (plus another guy on the bridge) take pictures throughout your trek and about 1-2 weeks later, you get them in the mail. It had 222 pictures on it! Now, to be fair, not all of them were from OUR trek, some are "canned" trek shots showing animals that we may or may not have seen. while we were there our guides mentioned that they might be stopping the photo CD as part of the package as they were losing money on it but I've no idea if that's actually happened. For me, it was a wonderful thing. I had a very new camera that I didn't want to stress about dropping and between Mary Ellen, and the PP shots, I felt ok leaving both my phone and camera behind. For me, it allowed me to just be in the experience without worrying about capturing it.

I'm not going to post all 222, skipping shots of random people and animals that we didn't see) and will only get through our lunch. there are some fun ones here!

Our intrepid trekers. Yep, guess who put herself front and center. I think her photo positioning says it all!

DSC_0001-2.jpg

And, here we are looking like animals

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Starting our trek (and getting some stares)

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Mary Ellen, camera at the ready

DSC_0006-2.jpg

As you've seen, the first guys we saw were the father and son hippos.

DSC_0014-2.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0021-2.jpg

We got a little education with the skull

And Nosy Nancy had to get her two words in

Hippo leaning practice concluded it was time for the test. The bridge!

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0028-2.jpg

Based on the order the photo’s are in, I may have been the first of our group to cross, not sure at all!

DSC_0024.jpg

Bounce Bounce Bounce

DSC_0024.jpg

Then again, I think Tracy was in front of me. “What are you DOING?” That looks seems to say

DSC_0026.jpg

I’m not moving till you stop bouncing (she didn’t say that, I’m making it up)

DSC_0027.jpg

Oh wait, I guess she was behind me after all

DSC_0036.jpg

Christine, capturing the moment and trekking on

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Now, when you get to the end there is a PP there (a guy) that has you stop and pose

DSC_0044.jpg

He’d noticed my bouncing and asked me to do it again for a picture.

DSC_0045.jpg

Not very bounce like but I tried

Continued in next post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter