How do you share your points with friends/family?

chrisegirl

Earning My Ears
I booked a Villa for 3 families. Two family of 4's and our family of 3. I told them all they had to pay was $350- towards our DVC yearly fee and the airfare, passes and dining plan was on them. I told them it was important that they took this seriously and if they back out it could cost them money. One family of 4 who are good friends had to back out b/c her husband had to have surgery. He has waited years for this surgery and the time had come and he had to have it done now. They backed out. I tried to find a third family to join us but it was too late of notice. I therefore had to try and get a 2 bedroom and luckily I got one! Now she is asking for her $350 back and needs it now. I want to explain to her how I now have to use 88 points by the end of July b/c they cancelled, but I do not want to lose a friend. I sent her the check. Does anyone know of a way I can remind her of my loss. Also, any suggestions as to what we should do with the 88 points? I cannot take my daughter out of school again as we just returned from a 5 day stay at SS. Airfare is high so we may have to drive wherever we decide to go. OR should I sell the points and how. Thanks for listening. Also, how do you handle sharing your points with friends/family? Do you charge them? How would you have handled this situation before and after the cancellation?
Thank you for listening! :-)

Could you recoup if you rented the points? There are lots of people like me who only need the smaller amounts?

I'd have a hard time mentioning it if they are stressing over surgery and money. Maybe ask them if they k is of anyone who would want to rent them and mention the lost funds.

I guess I could. Is the going rate still $10- per point? I love your suggestion! Great one! I want her to know that I am out 88 points now w/out losing a friend. How do I go about renting my points w/out being scammed?

I'm afraid I'm not much help. I've travelled three times with friends, and have never asked them to pay anything toward accommodations. The 2nd time, the adults had to back-out, but we still took their daughter. We didn't change rooms -- we just enjoyed the extra space.

chrisegirl said:
I guess I could. Is the going rate still $10- per point? I love your suggestion! Great one! I want her to know that I am out 88 points now w/out losing a friend. How do I go about renting my points w/out being scammed?

I paid $12 this year! If that helps!

Mcraige thank you for your comments. You are very generous. My hairdresser has the DVC and her husband wants to invite friends. She told them they would have to contribute towards the room b/c their DVC is not paid yet. I would love to know how others handle inviting friends and family.

The board sponsor, David's is paying $11 right now to rent out your extra points. I just saw it this morning on facebook. If I had to rent out our points, I would use his service. Seems like alot less hassle than trying to rent them out yourself.

chrisegirl said:

We've rented our points out 3 times since Christmas and have always gotten &12/pp without any problems.

I have never charged I just gift them. Since you didn't make it clear the $350 was non refundable and you refunded it I think it is time to let that go. Just don't ask them again

I'm afraid I'm not much help. I've travelled three times with friends, and have never asked them to pay anything toward accommodations. The 2nd time, the adults had to back-out, but we still took their daughter. We didn't change rooms -- we just enjoyed the extra space.

Last year we took a couple from our church to NOJ nad got a 2BR lock off and didn't ask them for anything for the accommodations.

This year we are taking that couple as well as our pastor and his wife and we got 3 studios at VWL and again we ask nothing for accommodations. We use our points to treat our friends to a nice stay at Disney. I am fortunate though, as if someone backed out I would be able to use the points before they expired since I am retired and airfare is pretty reasonable for me to go solo.

Now with my son , his wife and baby it is better for them to stay at a value resort and get the MYW package since if I get them the room all they have is a room and still have to get park tix and food.

I normally rent my extra points for anywhere from $11-$13 a point. For family/friends I rent them at $10/point, I also make them sign the same contract as I do for any other renter. Then there is no confusion about the terms and conditions about the rental.

Points = Money and since I wouldn't give away hundreds/thousands of dollars to my family/friends, I also don't give away points.

One of my friends just recently wanted to rent some points from me again and I said that was fine, but since I would have to borrow points to make the reservation for her, there would be a no cancellation and no money back clause in the rental. She wasn't positive she could actually go, so she decided to book with Disney instead so she could cancel if need be. She totally understood were I was coming from and she's still hoping to rent points next time.

Hosting my extended family makes us happy in many ways. We ask them for nothing. If they ever had to cancel, we would see if we could get a smaller unit, but if not we would just enjoy the extra space. I personally cannot even imagine asking family for money when it brings us, especially my son and his second cousins, such JOY to have them there with us. (is it bliss? no, there's some stress, but it's still lots of fun)

Now...if they ever asked to us our points without us there, I would steer them to a rental place like David's. I wouldn't give or rent our points to family for free or with money involved. But staying with us, like the OP seems to be doing with their family, is different to me.

I booked a Villa for 3 families. Two family of 4's and our family of 3. I told them all they had to pay was $350- towards our DVC yearly fee and the airfare, passes and dining plan was on them. I told them it was important that they took this seriously and if they back out it could cost them money. One family of 4 who are good friends had to back out b/c her husband had to have surgery. He has waited years for this surgery and the time had come and he had to have it done now. They backed out. I tried to find a third family to join us but it was too late of notice. I therefore had to try and get a 2 bedroom and luckily I got one! Now she is asking for her $350 back and needs it now. I want to explain to her how I now have to use 88 points by the end of July b/c they cancelled, but I do not want to lose a friend. I sent her the check. Does anyone know of a way I can remind her of my loss. Also, any suggestions as to what we should do with the 88 points? I cannot take my daughter out of school again as we just returned from a 5 day stay at SS. Airfare is high so we may have to drive wherever we decide to go. OR should I sell the points and how. Thanks for listening. Also, how do you handle sharing your points with friends/family? Do you charge them? How would you have handled this situation before and after the cancellation?
Thank you for listening! :-)
If they don't get it now, they never will. IMO, it's a mistake to make arrangements counting on other parties, esp when timeshares are involved. IF one is going to do this, it's best to do it in writing contractually. So many don't/can't understand the commitment they are making. For timeshares they often have the view that it's free to you so anything you charge them is money in your pocket. Then there are those that are always an issue at every turn, esp where families are involved. If they are an issue in other situations you can bet it'll be compounded for a Disney trip.

We simply get accommodations and invite family/friends. All I expect is they behave themselves. We have six 2 BR units for HH this summer at Marriott's Grande Ocean and hope to have around 40 family members.

Hosting my extended family makes us happy in many ways. We ask them for nothing. If they ever had to cancel, we would see if we could get a smaller unit, but if not we would just enjoy the extra space

For us this seems to be the case as well. We have only owned for 3 years so don't have a lot of experience. But we had family/friends stay with us in 2011 and it was great with no issues. This year friends are joining us for F&W.

We once rented from friends, but we understood the commitment we were making and again we were lucky there were no issues.

I think for every member it is different. Hopefully going forward things will work out better if you attempt this again.

We host family in a 2br at least once a year, this year it's twice. A long weekend at Kidani in May and a full 7 nights at BWV in Sept.

Whoever comes has to put up with us as we want to use each and every point ourselves. I wouldn't take money from family for these trips. Now if we couldn't go and they wanted to use them I may take the cash equivalent of the dues on the points used. ;) This stuff ain't free.

... I therefore had to try and get a 2 bedroom and luckily I got one! Now she is asking for her $350 back and needs it now. I want to explain to her how I now have to use 88 points by the end of July b/c they cancelled, but I do not want to lose a friend. I sent her the check. Does anyone know of a way I can remind her of my loss. Also, any suggestions as to what we should do with the 88 points? ...

So you are closer than 31 days to the start of your reservation and your use year is August? So you can't bank those points?

We've done a couple of things:

1. We have friends who are big fans of the Values. So when they travel with us and we provide them a DVC acommodation, we take what they would've paid for a Value.

2. We've taken family and told them to give us whatever they would like (b/c they would insist on giving us something). They've usually given us around $1K for 5 nights in a 2 BDRM that accommodated their 7 members.

3. We've treated other friends and while we couldn't join them for their entire stay, we did make a quick appearance to see them after our cruise this past June and asked for a day of DATW and a nice meal at LC in return.

Being able to share DVC with friends and family and ask for (close to) nothing in return is one of our perks. :lovestruc

We either invite without expecting them to pay for lodging or we don't invite.

I would never invite someone to my home and expect payment.

If they offer, we let them cover some meals, but that is about it.

We have invited family and friends and expected no compensation. They treat us to a dinner or something but nothing is expected really - we would not have invited them if we did not have the points. We enjoy their company and want to share Disney with them.

Most don't understand the whole DVC concept - we know that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter