How do you keep yourself determined when your friend just blew you away?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Let me start this by saying pajammatam looks absolutely wonderful! She lost all she needs to loose in less than 3wks!

Ive been dieting for 4wks and have only managed to loose 4lbs & 4.5inches. I dont even feel like I should be discussing diets w/her. Or even having her join me for walks around the "gerbil track". Hopefully I can loose the 20lbs in the next 20wks but comparing myself to my friend just aint working.
Im getting discouraged. How do you handle it when your friend looses all she needs to loose and you havent even made a dent?

Stop comparing!!! I know it is easier said than done, but to save your sanity you have to stop comparing yourself to her. My "getting healthy" buddy and I weigh exactly the same and we pretty much keep pace with one another in the pounds lost department, but that is where the similarities end. She is 5' 8" and I am 5'5", so 181 pounds on her is a lot different than on me. She has a different body shape than I do, one of us is large boned the other medium boned so of course we are going to be different. But that didn't stop me from comparing myself to her and all that did was make me sad. But now I know I shouldn't because we are different people. I think you would be hard pressed to find two bodies that were exactly alike so how can you compare? It is like comparing apples to oranges. You are an individual and your body may just lose weight at a different speed than that of your friends. The most important thing is to commit to an exercise and eating plan and lose the weight in a healthy way at the speed your individual body is capable of doing.

Good luck, you can do it and before you know it you will achieve what you are looking for.

Well said, Tiggerlover!

That hasn't happened to me, Barb. Isn't Tammy doing great?

As far as asking her to walk with you around the track, even if she has reached goal she still needs to do her workouts. She will need to do that the rest of her life.

Instead of getting frustrated and jealous of your friend why don't you consider actually following a more formal eating plan? According to the member roster you are "eating sensibly". Your friend is following Atkins.

If you think about it, that is probably the difference. I think that for your own sake, Barb, you should consider a more formal eating plan, either WW or Atkins. Choose a more structured plan and try it for a couple of weeks.

I'm sure one of our WW pros here on WISH could tell you how to count points etc. I would be glad to send you the rules for Atkin's induction, if you wish. No charge :)

Start thinking positively about this situation. Choose an eating plan and follow it. Be proud of your friend for being motivated and determined enough to lose the weight she needed to lose.

Be proud of yourself for working at becoming more healthy by losing weight. Don't give up. You just need a plan and more structure. Use the strength of WISH, strengthen your determination and <i>you</i> will reach goal too. Honest you will.

Okay, big smile, now. Stand up straight. No pouting allowed on WISH :teeth:

What do you think about following a formal eating plan? Let us know what you decide.

Katholyn

Just be happy for your friend and tell yourself that you are doing the best you can. That's all you can do! Everyone is different, everyone had different body types with different muscle mass and different amounts of weight to lose. You just keep doing what is working for you. You have lost a very good amount of weight and inches in a month, there is nothing wrong with your loss at all. I am averaging about 1.2 pounds a week. At first I lost more than 2 pounds a week, then it slowed down to less than 2 pounds, now it's about a pound or less. I just keep going. I know all the exercise is doing my body good and that eventually I will reach my goal. I am happy for my buddies when they reach their mini goals and I am happy for all my other friends on WISH when they reach their mini goals and goals.

Originally posted by nativetxn

... why don't you consider actually following a more formal eating plan? According to the member roster you are "eating sensibly". Your friend is following Atkins

Just a word of encouragement here. I exercised for a yea while I thought I was "eating sensibly" and didn't lose a thing. I couldn't understand why. Then I started back on WW - when I started measuring postion sizes I was shocked at the size! I was probably eating DOUBLE of what WW recommended as a portion size. Once I started eating the right amounts and a better balance of food, the weight began to come down, slowly. A 4 1/2 inch loss is a great beginning! I have a feeling if you find the right eating plan for you, you will see the results you are looking for. If I can help in any way, please PM me! Together we will perservere onward and downward, eh??:D

When I first started beginning/middle of May thats what I was going to do - eat sensibly.
However, that changed once I saw the nurse May 19th and she told me to loose 20lbs, go lowfat due to hereditary heart disease. The WISH roster was never updated to show Im now lowfat.
I plug my food into fitday everyday (use it faithfully). My calories are btwn 1200-1500. The nurse gave me a low cholesterol guideline which is on my fridge and I do follow it.
I measure all my food with measuring cups, etc. DH was even getting mad at me the other day cos I told him I needed to know exactly how much ea piece of chicken weighed.
My normal food for the day is 2-3 fruits, 1-2 vegs, and some type of meat, yogurt, raisin bran for brkfst (doc recommended as it helps w/digestive system), cranberry juice (helps w/woman parts), etc. I feel I am eating a right balance and yes I am measuring.

My 'WISH Friends' have Blew Past me many times this year. I'd be gone a LONG TIME ago if I was letting that effect me. Sure, it makes me feel sad and frustrated sometimes [the 'poor me' syndrome] but I just keep moving on knowing that Atkins is the healthy way of eating for ME and it will work if I give it some time.
:D

Hang in there Barb!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts