how do you do it? (long)

scarlett873

<font color=hotpink>Surrounded by true friends<br>
hey everyone...

i was here, once upon a time, doing atkins. dh and i had found a bit of success on atkins, but just found it difficult to continue. it was a personal choice of course...but this was all before restaurants, etc all jumped on the low-carb bandwagon. i personally found it more difficult to stick to the low carb diet back then. i'm not sure if i want to go back to the atkins way or not...

i've hit the point to where i am just disgusted with myself again. :( i had lost about 30 pounds a few years ago using metabolife and exercising. i loved how i looked then!! but my life did a complete 180 on me and i stopped exercising and taking care of myself. well..3 years later and i'm back to my original weight.

i really really really want to do something about it, but i have zero motivation. terrible, isn't it? my dh supports me in whatever i choose to do, but he doesn't have the time to commit to a fitness regimen right along side of me. we're talking about it...he's actually asking for an exercise bike for christmas! i'm terribly lazy...so if i have no one pushing me out the door, i just choose not to do anything. i'll sit on the couch like a bump on a log!

i try to tell myself to make wiser dining decisions when we're out, but i always revert back to my fried favorites. fast food is easier than cooking dinner at home! we don't get home until nearly 6:30pm most nights, so an evening workout proves to be difficult for me. dh is in school, so we get home, eat dinner, then he retires to his office to catch up on his homework. we also have a one year old puppy. she's a lot of work!! by the time i've eaten and tended to the dog, it's nearing 8pm! it's so late...

those of you who have a similar work schedule or family commitments...how on earth do you manage to work out, eat dinner, and take care of "home" stuff? i've thought about getting up earlier and taking the dog for a walk before work, but i can't get myself out of bed! i'm just a lazy person!!!!! i don't really know anyone in my neighborhood to walk with...i don't like to be out after dark by myself...

i know...i'm full of excuses, aren't i? ;) but i need some help and could really use some motivation. :worried:

My former boss had teh Nike Just Do It poster in his office. That was for the thngs he didn't want to do. He was right, just do it and get it over with.

For me, it took several failures. I've benn exercising since Feb. now. The longest time period since High School. I get home ~6 pm. My wonderful DH usually makes dinner for us. I clean up.

I signed up with Curves on the auto draft program. That helps. I'm paying ofr it, so I'd better go. Plus, I go on my way hom efrm work. Once I get home, there's not leaving again!

I get home a half hour to 45 minutes later, but dinner is ready. Plus, I have SO much more energy when I work out. I get more done after and I just feel better.

Find something you like to do and tell yourself that you will spend 30 minutes 3 times one week. See how you feel. Then, try again the next week. You've just got to start, then it gets easier.

Good luck!

Carrie has given you some great advice! I find if I "just do it" and don't think to hard about it, the exercise becomes second nature. I was the ultimate couch potatoe. I would get winded going up the 17 steps in my condo. If someone would have told me one year ago that I would be working out 7 days a week and looking forward to it, I would have told them they were on drugs! But here I am!

I have a husband and a teen son and we have several commitments in the evenings including bible study meetings, DH being in college and my being the oldest of 12 kids with a mentally ill mother and 5 siblings under the age of 18. They all require something from me inevitably during the week, plus I work full-time. When my weight ballooned up to 282.5 pounds I knew I had to do something. Low carb works for me. I love it! DH and I will be celebrating our one year South Beach/Aktins (we combine the two programs) anniversary in about 3 weeks. I just love eating this way but it may not be for you since you've given it a try already. I love the food and never thought I would say this but I love to cook now! I never did before. We ate out a lot. Now I just can't usually justify the high restaurant/fast food prices when I can make food that's more delicious at home.

For my exercise routine, I get up at 5:15 every morning and do a 30 minute work out tape. I use the Firm and it has dramatically reshaped my body in the last year. It took quite a while to get used to dragging myself out of the bed early but the results have been worth it. Joining the challenges on this board help to keep me motivated too.

I know it can be hard to get started. Some people find that taking small steps and working their way up to the bigger challenges helps them. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. So I threw myself into this process. It's so easy as a wife and mom to get all wrapped up in our family's and of course we love them but if momma doesn't feel good about herself, no one in momma's house is going to be truly happy. So make some time for momma. Find a way of exercising that you like (walking, biking, swimming, tapes, etc.) and find an eating plan that is reasonable and doable for you. Once you have that combination, you may just find that taking off that 30 pounds isn't as difficult as you thought it was!

We are here to support and encourage you!!!! :sunny:

Hi Brandie! :)

You know what got me determined to lose the weight for good this time? I remembered something I had read a long time ago. It was that if something is really important to you then you will make time for it. I was grumbling inwardly about how unhappy I was with my health problems and how I looked and this quote came back to me and I thought, that is so true. So I made up my mind that I was important enough to make this happen. Yes, it takes effort, there is no magical potion or pixie dust that can take the weight off. You have to be willing to change. For so long I wasn't and it was my downfall. It seems more challenging than it really is. I think people get overwhelmed thinking that they have to become gourmet chefs when they cook, it's so not true. It really doesn't take much time at all to put together great tasting, healthy meals. The exercise is the hardest part but if you really want it, you'll find a way to make time for it. It might mean you have to cut out something else and rearrange your schedule but you just have to decide if you really want it. You really are worth it! ::yes::

I'm on my first week of South Beach and I am REALLY happy with it so far. I have no doubt that I can eat this way for life. Especially once the first two weeks are up. It's really so much better than Atkins IMHO, not knocking anyone who does Atkins, it just wasn't my thing. So if you think you might not be able to go back to Atkins maybe you could give South Beach a shot.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best. You are worth the time and effort, remember that. :hug:

You know, it's difficult to make yourself excerise. The overall motivation is there - sure you'll be healthier, and you'll lose weight and your body will work better yada yada yada.

But actually MOVING and working out? That's tough to do.

I hate exercising. I'm not kidding, I hate it. There's some of it that I dislike less than others, but given a real choice I'd probably never exercise again in my life.

What I've had to do is to mentally tell myself that being overweight is a medical condition. I do this for exercise and for keeping to my "diet" (also known as my new way of life).

For the exercise, my thinking goes like this: There are certain things I have to do to get/stay healthy. Just like anyone with an illness or condition has to take medications. I have allergies and have to take pills for it every day. If I didn't, well I'd have a mighty hard time breathing. I don't like taking them, I'd prefer if I didn't have to. It's the same with the exercise. I don't like doing it, but I know I have to. There isn't an option, really. I could NOT do the exercise, but then that would be a gigantic roadblock on my journey to better health. So although there are days when I do let it slide, I have to catch myself and make sure it gets done the next day.

As for my "diet", it's the same thing. I don't let myself think of it as a "diet". A diet is something you go on, and then go off. Instead I think of it as something I have to keep at, from now on. If I give up my newfound eating habits when I reach my goal weight, well I'll just gain weight again. I'm doing a modified Weight Watchers program, and when I try and explain it to people I say this: It's not a diet, it's a retraining program. It's teaching me to eat properly, so that I won't ever have to go on a "diet" again.

If you can manage to keep thinking that these are things that you HAVE to do to attain/maintain good health, well it makes it a little easier.

Whenever i find myself slipping i think of my Dad and older brother. Their heart problems was/is my motivator. Dad died from heart disease 10yrs ago, brother had a massive heart attack (resulting in triple bypass) May 03 so I know this is hereditary.
I try to keep an eye on my fat & sodium intake. Try to get that doctor recommended 1/2hr walk daily (or at least my 10,000 steps.)
When I find myself eating junk, laying on the couch I think of my Dad & brother and get myself back to reality. It can be hard to keep at it.

thank you so much everyone...

i know this is something i need to do, it's just hard to get into the groove! i've already begun watching what i eat. this morning, i stopped at mcdonald's and instead of ordering my usual breakfast sandwich, i chose the fruit and yogurt parfait! it's actually really good! i'm hoping to journal everything i eat daily so that i can see what i really need to change.

dh and i talked about it and i think that we will be getting the dance dance revolution game for my workouts. it's something that's fun...and i can balance that out with walking or riding a bike or something.

i know i can do this! i'm so thankful for this wonderful group of people here at WISH...you guys motivate me! it makes things so much easier when you have a group of friends who inspire, support, and motivate you to get up off of that couch! :grouphug:

here's to a healthier lifestyle!

Thought I'd add in my 2 cents. I agree don't think of yourself going on a diet. Just eat healthy, low calorie, well balanced meals that have carbs and fats. Just dont overindulge in one type. Also I found that writing out what I was eating was a huge help. I'm huge into exercise and have been for the past 5 years. Pick a few machines at a gym that you really enjoy and then mix it up so you dont get bored, and maybe take a class or two. Or if you dont want to buy a gym membership, invest in a few different work out tapes (to break up the monotony). Honestly you wont believe how much better you feel. Now I was full time in college with incredibly tough courses like organic chem, physics, genetics, and doing brain cancer research on the side, and maintaing a social life and I still managed to get to the gym, so yes you can make the time.
Also for cooking maybe you could get a George Forman grill. It really is a blessing. You can put frozen chicken pieces, shrimp, wraps, etc on it. Easy to make, easy to clean, healthy and tasty food.

Basically make a promise to yourself that you want to be healthy.

GReat Great ideas above...

Take that am walk you're thinking of...start out committing to making it 3 days a week....then up it to 4 and I guarantee you you'll LOVE getting up! The weight/attitude/food selection improved dramatically by making these steps.

It's a double edged whammy...you don't exercise you have no energy...you do exercise within 2 weeks you feel MUCH better!

Go for it!
Tara

Scarlett! It's great to see you here again.

Visit us often and we will help you reach goal.

Katholyn

I want to wish you all the best. You have already been given great advice.

If you need a place to record what it is you eat in order to help figure it all out, I would highly recommend FitDay.com. This is a free site although you do register as a user. I have been using it for over a year now and whenever I start to slip up, I jump on there and look see what I have been doing with myself.

Good luck on your journey. You will certainly find that everyone here is quite helpful.

These are some really GREAT ideas!!::yes:: ::yes:: I have huge motivational issues. Have been working on the same 8 pounds since August.........they come, they go....:mad: :mad:

I know I have to do it one step at a time..........baby steps but have to keep moving forward.

Have a magical Disney Day!!::MickeyMo

You say that fast food is easier than cooking. I highly reccomend you watch the documentary "Super Size Me." It will completely disgust you and turn your stomach away from fast food! I just saw in on Sunday night, and I think it is a good way to get a grasp on health concious choices!

Originally posted by pixiedust23
You say that fast food is easier than cooking. I highly reccomend you watch the documentary "Super Size Me." It will completely disgust you and turn your stomach away from fast food! I just saw in on Sunday night, and I think it is a good way to get a grasp on health concious choices!

ITA! Fast food is the devils work! Nutritionally deficient, and full of salt, fat and carbs. That has to be a last resort choice, not a meal plan. The cool thing is, once you stop eating it, you don't crave it and it does turn my stomach if I find myself in a situation where it's Mc D's or go hungry. It's a tough choice and I have often chosen the later. I always visit the chains website after I've eaten any fast food, and the nutritional informatin is nauseating. A real eye opener, and that usually keeps me on the path to heathy living.

It does take some getting used to though. You need to plan meals, shop for them, prepare them, and that takes time. But like anything else, you just need to practice and then it is second nature. Get an insulated lunch bag, some Ice packs, and you're good to go, even if your place of business doesn't have a fridge. They also keep food relatively warm, as long as you stoke them up pretty well before you pack them.

Keep yogurt and berries in your fridge for breakfast. It takes 5 minutes to prepare, and you can wolf them down in 2 if necessary. It is also less dangerous than eating in the car. Get Rachel Rays 30 minute meals. Not always the most "diet friendly", but worlds better than eatin out. Once you get the hang of it, you can start tweaking your meals to be more diet friendly. Not only will you see benefits in the numbers, your clothes, etc., but you will notice how good food really tastes, and you will also be setting a good example for the rest of your family.

Give it a try. Go FFF (fast food free) for a week. With the holidays upon us, it is very tempting to eat on the run, as we are always running. Use Turkey day as a spring board for this experiment. Turkey sandwhiches for lunch, turkey soup, or whatever you and yours do for the holiday. cooking will be involved. Just keep doing it!

Keep the Faith!
Tracy

Also not that I am advicating fast food in any means, but some do have healthier options. You just have to check their nutritional facts. For ex Wendy's chili I know is low calorie and only has like 6 grams of fat. So much better than a bic mac or a whopper. But I agree I havent had fast food in months and I really dont crave it. I actually gave it up for a year once and then when I ate it again I got very very sick and I was throwing up for hours!

I had to respond to this. On his last 2 days of the "diet" I was literally covering my eyes (and peeking between my fingers) to watch. I knew he didn't die before I watched but I was still so afraid something horrible was going to happen :). Haven't had fast food since.

For ex Wendy's chili I know is low calorie and only has like 6 grams of fat.

Wendy's Chili & a Wendy's Baked Potato w/ Sour Cream and chives... great, FILLING, low fat, and only $1.98 to boot... saves more money for that vacation!!!

(OK, I KNOW I shouldn't have the sour cream, but the single serving size that they give keeps me from piling it on!!)

(OK, I KNOW I shouldn't have the sour cream, but the single serving size that they give keeps me from piling it on!!)

I love the baked potato too. I'm trying to stick to a low cal diet and I believe the baked potato/sour cream/chives is actually pretty low cal, so don't worry about eating that sour cream!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter