How Do You Carry Your DSLR?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by cutedisneygirly, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cutedisneygirly

cutedisneygirly DIS Veteran

I have taken my Nikon to Disneyland a few times, but have not been able to find an efficient, comfortable way to carry it around the parks and keep it protected while in my backpack. I have a camera backpack, but it is bulky and doesn't provide space for other things like my wallet and a water bottle. I also tried using some bulky scrap foam to create a box of sorts in my regular backpack. The camera was well protected, but my made my backpack uncomfortable.

So, how do those of you with DSLRs carry your cameras in the parks so it is comfortable yet protected from damage of setting down the bag?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I don't use a case/bag at all for my D3100. I just carry it around my neck so that I'm ready to take pictures anytime.

4. KCmike

KCmike Never have fallen asleep on any

My canon bag

[​IMG]

5. MickeyMomTo2

MickeyMomTo2 Lauren S. @baseballsbows

6. vettegirl

vettegirl Dole Whip Queen

I have a small case I carry around my shoulder when the camera isn't around my neck.

7. DisFam95

DisFam95 DIS Veteran

It stays on my body w/ my Black Rapid for women strap :worship: love it. No fears of it slipping off my shoulder as a child pulls me "this way mommy!" I hate my camera around my neck in the front. I carry maybe one extra lens for my low light needs in a neoprene case in a backpack. I've had no problems tucking my 7D in my backpack and between my feet on a ride. Actually I carry the camera and take pics on most rides like Space Mountain in the colored launch tube.

I travel w/ kids so I've had to learn to pair down on the equipment. I did take a Lowpro Fast pack 100 and it was not so bulky as the 200 style.

8. Megajos24

Megajos24 Earning My Ears

We used the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW bg. This camera bag worked well for us there. Its a sling backpack. You can slide it around to take out or put away your camera without taking the bag off. It has another strap that helps keep it in place. So if you bend over the bag doesn't slide to the front. Our backs felt good after a day with it on.

9. Butterfly123

Butterfly123 DIS Veteran

I just bought the Lowepro Slingshot 102aw for my new DSLR. I only have two lenses, so the small size is perfect.

10. Evad

Evad Living The Dream

Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and a Black Rapid strap is all I need!! Works great with no worries of dropping or losing anything. :thumbsup2

11. tinkcollector

tinkcollector DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I am not the original poster but this has been one of my questions. About two years ago I upgraded to a DSLR. I love the camera and I am getting some great shots (Canon EOS Rebel XS). I only have two lenses and leave my camera behind at times because of not being comfortable with it. Any more tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. :tink:

12. Davids-Coco

Davids-Coco <font color=green>Sometimes my inner monologue isn

We actually put it in our diaper bag!

13. myxdvz

myxdvz DVC - BLT

Thanks for pointing me to the Black Rapid strap! I've been looking for something similar :)

14. ToodlesRN

ToodlesRN Always Dreamin Of Disney

Ditto!:thumbsup2

15. Lynzer Torte

Lynzer Torte Disneyland Lyndsey

I don't like to carry my Nikon arround my neck either, it drives me crazy. I carry it in a Coach cinch sack crossbody bag. It fits perfectly even with my wristlet, lipstick and phone (and it's super cute :lovestruc). DH carries snacks, water bottles and the camcorder in his sling bag. :thumbsup2

16. Elk Grove Chris

Elk Grove Chris DIS Veteran

Been using a Canon 200EG backpack for about 4 years now and it is just starting to show some wear and tear and it gets heavy use. It is heavy when loaded though, probably 20 pounds with my 40D and 4 lenses plus other goodies. But you can always leave lenses in the room and stuff other stuff in the backpack. I can stuff to water bottles on outside and attach a tripod on the side (usually leave tripod in locker though).

Easily stows between feet on all rides, I take pictures from Screamin all the time with this thing between my feet. Not sure I trust it to be super water resistant on Splash though.

17. quantumottle

quantumottle DIS Veteran

I'm probably not helping you much, but I wanted to say how excited I am about my new Alpha NEXC3. It's my first ILC and almost half the size of my old DSLR. I'm looking forward to not having to lug around that huge bag any more, and not giving up a thing as far as image quality goes... And it's about half the price to boot. Using my old lenses is a bit of a hassle, but if you're interested, it's definitely worth a look.

18. princesszelda

princesszelda DIS Veteran

When I am not wearing my Camera I put it in my lowepro 200 backpack. I love that I can carry my camera equipment as well as other things in the top portion.

19. wenrob

wenrob DIS Veteran

I've just picked up the Photo Sport 200 AW for our trip this week. :thumbsup2
    http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Photo-Sport-Backpack-Black/dp/B004XNLR16
    It's just big enough to carry the D700 mounted with the 24-70, my 50 and speedlight if I needed it. There's enough room that I could slide the 70-200 in from the top down to the bottom. The bag looks big in the pic but really isn't, it's LIGHT and has plenty of room to carry a couple of hoodies and souveniers, water bottle etc. I haven't worn it all day yet but so far it's awesome. Couldn't be happier with the choice.

eta: OP you don't say what Nikon you have of how many lenses. Depending on the model you could get away w/Sport 100 that's sling. Smaller then one above but still a ton of room up top to carry some stuff.

20. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Mouseketeer

i carry my dslr on a RS-Sport 2 by black rapid. since the black rapid straps have the camera sit on your side in a lockable position, it hardly ever gets in the way and relieves a lot of strain when compared to a typical neck strap.

i have a small messenger bag i carry vinylmation in that i can keep an extra ziplock baggy that i use to wrap up the cam on water rides.

i have a thinktank bag, but it is very large and cumbersome, so after a few trips ive been able to edit what i bring to the park. its very rare that i bring more than one lens.

21. Mercenary

Mercenary To infinity and beyond!

Black rapid strap all the way! I used to carry a Kata 3in1 bag it was great light quick but the strap wins hands down...