1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

How do you all plan 4 months ahead? Its drivin me nuts!

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by GoofyLo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mickeysbestfriend

mickeysbestfriend DIS Veteran

when Disney changed the timetable for booking ADR's from 90 days to 180 there were dozens of threads bashing it and calling it senseless.

We love it but the battle royal is there to get prime spots. I was 178 days out booking 'Ohana and the only table available was 8:30 at night!

Now we do mostly lunches for our big meal and an arrival night dinner. It's much easier to get lunch ADR's than dinner at the "Hot' spots :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. omgninjas

omgninjas Earning My Ears

I'll admit it. We're more than 300 days out for our trip (arriving December 29) and I already have four schedules made in excel, with park days, restaurants, approximate dining times, and special stuff like BBB all penciled in, and a few extras on top of that just in case we decide to go for the upgrade to deluxe dining :goodvibes.
    Between now and our ADR date (July 2, not that I have it memorized :rotfl:) I will probably make 20 more, and discard/add as necessary until our entire group feels like they're happy.

We don't mind planning our days around restaurants at all. The kids love being able to look at menus in advance and KNOW they will like the food. I love planning and the other adults in our group all say they like having me make plans and give them concrete choices. So long as their input is considered and they all get their "must do's" they seem to think it's more relaxing to have their days planned out - no worrying about whether or not we'll get a table or have to wait for 2 hours, or get in an argument at 5:30 about what we should eat for dinner.

Our first trip to WDW we had zero reservations and managed to get 3 or 4 walkups, but mostly we just ate in our condo off-site. I don't know if the level of dictatorship I hold over our reservations is necessary in the off-seasons, but you'd need to be flexible (and happy settling for counter service just in case ;) )

4. tinkerhon

tinkerhon DIS Veteran

Same here !!! Planning is 75% of the fun !!!!:cool1::cool1:

5. JeannieKY

JeannieKY Tink fan

Caution: Disney planning is so addictive!!! I love it. My husband and kids just laugh at me.

6. mom_of_2

mom_of_2 Mouseketeer

AGREED! Planning is so much fun...you always learn something new especially from these boards. It just never gets old!

7. Three cats

Three cats DIS Veteran

I am so into the planning, I started thinking about our next set of ADR's on the plane ride home from our last trip. I am also one of those people with the spreadsheet, lol!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

8. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

I look at the resort we are staying at, I often break up my reservation into 2 to 3 resorts over a two week period of time. I do this because I like to do MK first and prefer walking over the busses. So, usually 4 nights BLT, 4 nights BCV, 6 nights OKW. I create a list of where everyone would like to eat during the course of the vacation. Next, I look at park hours and then I choose restaurants that are easily accessed from where I am staying at the time. At 180 I make my reservations, at 60 I check park hours for changes, and then I see if I want to make adjustments to my reservations. Sometimes I make switches up until I leave for the vacation. I also leave some days empty and get on my smart phone and reserve for what is available where I am at the time. I have made reservations for within an hour while at HS for MM, for several world showcase restaurants and for places in DTD in July and August with no issues.

9. GoofyLo

GoofyLo Mouseketeer DVC Gold

That's what drives me insane too! Along with DH and two little ones, we travel with my 75 year old father. I really miss the days of calling for resides the day before since everyone looks to me for "what's next".

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one...

10. GoofyLo

GoofyLo Mouseketeer DVC Gold

Ok. After reading all of the posts, I've decided I need one of you to plan for us! We'll be there in June and November. Any takers? Lol!!

Thanks for the feedback.

11. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

I think the planning and agonizing over every little detail is the best part about Disney for me. It's like a project and it's always a work in progress. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, park ours change and then you have to rethink your park days and tweak your ADR's.

I've been planning since I booked a bounce back in Aug. 2012 for Aug. 2013!

Just wait till they roll out fastpass plus.... Yowzer! I'll be back to the drawing board trying to figure it all out again!

12. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Planning is half the fun for me and I look forward to making our ADRs, so I always do it at 180 days. We have our must do's, but also like to try new places every trip. We mostly eat TS at the resorts and don't plan our park days ahead of time, so there's never any worry for us about where we'll be or having plans interfere with our ADRs.

13. JeannieKY

JeannieKY Tink fan

My husband has decided that my retirement job should be as a Disney trip planner. LOL

14. GaBelle

GaBelle DIS Veteran

You're my new hero!

I become obsessive with planning. Now, I don't plan to the minute in our touring plans, but I indicate which part of the park we need to be in certain timeframes. My DH calls me Drill Sargent when we are at Disney!

15. AshleeH

AshleeH DIS Veteran

I thrive on planning! It's a joy to me - I usually have several schedules in the works and the finalized schedule is whichever one works with ADRs and park hours.

I should add, I'm not a commando in-park person - I plan out the ADRs, the parks, etc. but once we enter the park, we might grab FPs for certain rides, but I don't have every minute (or any minute, really) planned after that.

16. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

We've booked the most 3 months in advance (that was a miracle) or 3 days -I'm not kidding, because of our work schedules and general flights of fancy. We don't OMG have to get into 1 particular place and happen to like a few of the less popular options (and we don't do character dining, which probably impacts that). We make some ADRs and then check back frequently to see if the restaurants we really wanted opened up, they usually do, or it makes us try something new. Win/win.

17. ChristineNic

ChristineNic Mouseketeer

I love Disboard, but sometimes I feel really inadequate. DH and I decided today that we are going to WDW next weekend (Thursday through Sunday). We haven't decided where to stay: either POP, Dolphin, or Vistana Villages. Since there is a cheerleading/dance event, we will probably go off site.

As far as dining goes, we will have a TS dinner every night, hopefully at a Signature. One of those nights will be somewhere that DH can get a good steak.

It will all work out and we will have a great trip.

18. PKT531

PKT531 Mouseketeer

I don't. LOL! I always book one month out or less and hope for the best.

I booked yesterday for AKL next month. Made 2 ADRs today and will just hope for some walk ups for our other 4 TS meals. With 3 kids there is no way I'm gonna even attempt to follow a schedule.

We just go with the flow and always have a magical time!

19. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

I'm a "wing it" sort of person. I don't even know what park I'm going to for the day until I get up in the morning and some days I just go to the bus stop and see what bus shows up first. I don't want to be on a schedule when I'm on vacation - my real life is scheduled enough as it is. And I still manage to have great trips to Disney. Not everyone likes to plan their days down to the last minute - and that's OK.

OP - if you are on the dining plan or traveling during peak times, I strongly suggest you make most of your ADR's ahead of time. If you are traveling during slower seasons and/or paying OOP for your meals, then you can be more flexible when it comes to timing. You might want to consider making one or two ADR's well in advance if you want to dine in the more popular restaurants, but so long as you are willing to dine CS if you can't get a last minute ADR, you'll be fine. CS isn't all burgers and fries these days, thank goodness! I tend to travel during the less crowded times, and I can almost always find a good ADR the night before if I want to. That's been the biggest benefit to me of the resort wifi - being able to check restaurant availability late night or early morning if I decide I do want to dine TS. I have even waited until I actually entered the park, fired up the iPod and checked dining availability, and made reservations as I'm walking to my first attraction.