How do prices at Publix compare to prices in your local market?

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by hollyb, Jun 21, 2006.

1. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

I think Publix is the supermarket that is close to Disney. I am wondering if they are really high in price? We are renting a house and will need some grocery's.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. spiceycat

spiceycat dvc-blt,vwl,bwv

the closest one to Disney is Goody's and they are definitely high.

I find Publix very reasonable.

I don't take food and stuff from home any longer - I buy everything that I need at Publix.

they don't pay a sales tax on groceries in Ala we still do..... popcorn::

4. jeff968

jeff968 DIS Veteran

We use the Publix as well and find good prices there. There are some stores labeled "grocery stores" right outside some of the larger timeshare/suite locations with very high prices. Seek out the Publix and you'll find the good prices and fresh produce. There are a number of them in Orlando.

5. isla bonita

isla bonita DIS Veteran

I find them fair priced.

I have been to the Goodings once and could not believe the prices.

6. UKDEB

UKDEB Moderator Emeritus Moderator

I find everything a bargain compared with the prices here in the UK! The variety of produce never fails to amaze me, either. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would want to eat Pop Tarts at all, let alone dedicate a whole aisle to them (we have about 4 flavours here).

7. talicskai

talicskai DIS Veteran

I buy all my groceries at Walmart SuperCenter on SR535 because I find Publix expensive.
    Teresa

8. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Publix beats the prices at Wal Mart on some items. Winn Dixie and Albertsons also have good prices.

9. mercydisney

mercydisney Is it on sale?

In Fl Publix is the#1 supermarket. I highly recommend it. It's very clean and the customer service is #1. FL newspaper compared it to SuperWalmart in value. You will only be saving a few nickels if you go to SuperWalmart.
    They always have buy one get one free.

Some of this wks specials are;
    Arnold whole grain bread. BOGOF
    Nabisco Ritz Crackers, BOGOF
    Kellogs Nutri-Grain Bar, BOGOF
    The best is Buy 4 get one free of 12 pack of Pepsi products.

Theirs more but I thought these are what you would want to stock up on while in Disney.

10. spiceycat

spiceycat dvc-blt,vwl,bwv

my problem with walmart is the size.

at the most I am with another person - okay sometimes there are 3 of us - but the size walmart wants you buy is enough for 5 people or more...

so I am better off with Publix and getting a much smaller size (generally for less money than Walmart)

only generally because sometimes the bigger size is a better deal.

11. bunny213

bunny213 DIS Veteran

I do Public...and they take coupons too. We stay at OLCC and I use the Public and the Walmart on 27 too. The coupons are taken at face value, not doubled and tripled like they are here in TX. Barb

12. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

Great thank you. Now here's another question, can you find the same brands in Fla that you find at your home store?

Example:
    Kraft mac and cheese
    perdue chicken nuggets

13. ducklite

ducklite <font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>

Of course!

Publix is a normal grocery store. You'll find the same national brands there that you would at Wegman's, Acme, Super Target, Tops, Giant, Shoprite, or wherever else you shop.

As far as the prices go, they seem to be identical to my local grocery store, which oddly enough has the same name. ;)

Anne

14. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

WOW the same name!!!!! You lucky thing. :wave:
    This makes me very happy. The kids will be very happy too.

15. PortieOwner

PortieOwner DIS Veteran

For cheap groceries in a pleasant atmosphere Super Target is the way to go. There is one in Kissimmee near the 535/192 junction and also one off the Greenway on the way in from the airport.

Portie

16. Paulab

Paulab Supplier of Pixie Dust to the Whole Family!

Hiya all, hilarious thread, we find most things in Publix are HALF the price of what they cost us back here in sunny England!! So stop complaining :wave:

Paula
    :wave2:

17. FlaNative

FlaNative Mouseketeer

:rotfl2:

This is too funny. Do you travel much? The world food supply is dominated by a few mega international companies. Result: Sameness everywhere, other than local fruits and such.

Publix is of course my local store as they saturate Florida. When I travel the trick is finding something different from what is in my local store.

I went in a store in Singapore. Half way around the world. 90% of the stuff in there is the identical stuff in the identical container as in Publix. Even the labels are in English. At least in Thailand the wording is different. :teeth:

What is in Singapore? Campbells soup, Bumblebee tuna, Maine sardines, Tasters Choice coffee, Oreos, Johnny Walker Black(got to be the most widely distributed fluid in the world--it is sold everywhere, even in the little corner shop in Hanoi), Heinekin beer, Pepsodent toothpaste, Nestle brand yogurt. Go 10,0000 miles and the store has the SAME STUFF as the Publix down the street. Great if you like the same stuff, horrible if you are looking for some local variation. There is no local difference any more, the giant multinationals are making everyone in the world mass consumers of the same stuff.

18. MrsM

MrsM Mouseketeer

We have been to Publix on several of our trips to WDW and found the prices and selection to be very good. On our last trip, we went to Winn Dixie, and were disappointed with it compared to Publix. There seemed to be much less of a selection and the prices seemed pretty high. We will either return to Publix or try the Super Walmart next time.

19. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

The reason I asked if they carry certain things is because when we go to Mi to vist family I can't find alot of things we have here. It was an honest question, we have children so I wanted to make sure.

Sorry no I havent traveled the world like you.

20. JohnnySharp2

JohnnySharp2 No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a

Publix is the best :thumbsup2

21. courage

courage Mouseketeer

I always go to Publix on vacation because they have a great deli - I can get submarine sandwiches, salads, chicken salad, etc.....that gives us some great meals if you have a fridge