How do I save my Basil plant?

Mishetta

<font color=FF6600>All I get to play is "crashing
I posted this on the Flower/Garden board but no bites! Not even more than 1 looker! :eek:

How do I save my Basil plant?

I have this HUGE basil plant which I've been so happily using all summer long. My Mom was the one with the green thumb here but she passed away in July. So I don't know what to do with this absolutely wonderful basil plant for the winter?? Last night the news predicted frost so I covered it up with a huge garbage bag. It looks like it made it but what do I do with it for winter? Will it keep in the house?

Not to sound so ignorant but I really know nothing about taking care of plants. My Mom lived with us & had several around the house. So far I've only killed two but I know that the rest have numbered days too!

Any advice?

No one wants to be my Basil hero, huh? Well, at least on this site, I got more than 1 lookie-loo! I'm still hoping someone out there has a green thumb!

Could you pot it, and bring it indoor, it is worth a try!!!!

Sorry I can't help, Rose. I have a black thumb. :rolleyes:
Hope someone can help you. :)

You can grow basil inside as long as it gets enough warmth and light. However, it can be a bit of a Royal Princess in colder climates where central heating is used. You need to water your plants regularly and even spray them with water to keep them growing throughout the winter.
We normally pull our basil plants out at first frost and take care of them in the green houses, since we use the herb a lot in our restaurant menu.

This is where the fun begins. Basil has such a wide variety of uses in cooking. With over 12 varieties of basil you can have fun with a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains and pastas.

Sandwiches: Sweet Basil makes a great addition to any sandwich. Our customers love our Euro Delight which combines basil with brie cheese and our special vinaigrette and garden vegetables.
Great with cheese, for lacto vegetarians try it in a salad sandwich with tomatoes.

Try Sweet Basil or Lemon Basil to liven up your Salads and Pasta. Add the leaves whole if you can handle the strong flavor. Or gently rip them into smaller pieces. If you take to basil with a knife be careful as bruising the leaves takes the flavor away.

Thai Basil is great in Thai Curries and Stir Fries. You can also use Sweet Basil. Both varieties give you a licorice zesty tang to your vegetables. We use basil in our famous Thai Stir Fry which is one of the most popular dishes at the Cheese Factory. This recipe and many pestos, dressings and pasta dishes using basil are available in our cookbook.

No matter what the country the consensus is that basil is Royalty amongst the herb family.

It is well worth the effort to bring your basil plants indoors for the winter so you can have summer flavors all year round.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have a very warm, very sunny window, you will probably lose your plant. They are annuals (meaning the plant naturally dies in the winter and doesn't grow back) and you should replant in the spring if that happens. If you want to bring a portion indoors, some suggest taking a cutting and place it in water. It will root quickly. Some say that cuttings rooted indoors will grow better indoors than trying to bring outdoor basil inside.
Good luck. The advice to keep it very well watered is important. It would help to keep it away from drafts and vents. Also, if they start looking yellowish but you are getting enough water (not soaked) and enough sunlight, then the problem is often that it needs a water soluble fertilizer like Peter's.
Good luck!!

We have not had good luck moving our basil plants indoors. We were going to use some after about a month. When I started to pick the leaves off really small white bugs started flying everywhere! Several people have told me that mites are a common problem when growing basil indoors.

The best way we have found to have basil during the winter in to make pesto and freeze it. We put it in freezer bags and it keeps well. Some people put it in ice cube trays and freeze but I like to flaten the pesto so it defrosts quickly. I have also purchased chopped frozen basil leaves. Tastes pretty good but gets black quickly.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to preserve your plants.

I'm sorry your question wasn't immediately answered on the F&G board, Mishetta. There's a great group of people there happy to help answer questions and offer suggestions, but they are not always "right" there.

You've been given lots of good advice, good luck with your basil. :)

Yes, it is time to harvest your basil. Even here in Florida zone 10, the basil goes to seed & dies. Plant the seeds indoors for next season. 40F & a little wind will cook basil.
Dave

yep good advice. I sometimes pinch the plants way back and bring them in. I pick all the leaves off and freeze them. Also I make some pesto and freeze it as well. (some people say don't add the cheese before you freeze do it afterwards). We had goofy weather this year and even my herbs did poorly. I will be trying to do some from seed for in the house in the winter. I don't even have any to freeze, but last summer i had so much that there is still a bag in the freezer.

Thanks so much for your advice. Unfortunately, I got back to this thread way too late, so for tonight I have just covered it up again. Tomorrow I will cut it back some (some of the branches with leaves are not looking too good) & perhaps bring it in. I actually do have the perfect window which has lots of light flooding my house for the better part of the afternoon. I will also re-plant the seeds.

Another question: Does anyone know if the purple basil tastes the same as the green basil? I have both in the same pot. I'm just nervous about using the purple one. I put about a dozen of the green basil leaves in my homemade tomato sauce though & wow, does it ever taste amazing! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter