How do I get the smilies to work?

AnaheimGirl

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is a stupid question. On other sites, I just click on the smilie and it pops into the message. When I try that here, it doesn't work. Is there somewhere I need to enable smilies?

Also, clicking the bold, italic, etc. up top don't seem to do anything.

Thank you for any help!

AG

You've got your interface set for the Standard Editor (which is the DIS default editor) All the icons above work but just in a different way. They actually insert the code the browser needs.

For example, to make something bold, you would type the words you want, then click-drag to select them, and then click the bold button. They will not appear bold in your edit box, but you will see the tags to make them bold will now be there.

Now the good news, what you're referring to is WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). If you want your editor to work that way, change to the Enhanced Editor. Go to UserCP, Options, and change to the WYSIWYG editor.

AnaheimGirl said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question. On other sites, I just click on the smilie and it pops into the message. When I try that here, it doesn't work. Is there somewhere I need to enable smilies?

Also, clicking the bold, italic, etc. up top don't seem to do anything.

Thank you for any help!

AG

I know it's may not be funny to you, but I thought you asked what a simile was and how to use it! :rotfl2: I think the teacher in me is overtaking the rest of my brain! Hahaha! :rotfl:

Lisa -- that's funny. I misread lots of things on internet boards

Caskbill -- Thanks for your response. I changed it to Enhanced, but then it wouldn't let me post anything. I'd click "reply", click in the box and type, but it's like it wouldn't recognize my keyboard or something. I switched it back to standard and I can post again.

I'm going to try using bold the way you said. Hmm, doesn't seem to have worked. Do you have any other suggestions. Mostly for smilies. I don't mind so much not being able to use bold, etc, but I love to use smilies!

Thanks,
AG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter