How different can two trips be? Let me count the ways! COMPLETE!

Another result of kids becoming thrill riders - it looks like we will be getting season passes to our local Six Flags. Especially since ds has an 8th grade trip next month. And if we get 4 now, we get free parking. I may not go that much, but if they went without me and parked 3x, that would pay for my season pass.

I just got caught up on your trip report. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy WS more. I definitely understand how the crankiness can make it less enjoyable. Sounds like you're having a great day at MK so far. I'm looking forward to hearing about Sorcerers. I wish we'd done that when we were there if only to get the cards as a keepsake. Also exciting that the kids are starting to like thrill rides. I hope that happens with my kids as they get older so I can go on all the roller coasters. :)

I just got caught up on your trip report. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy WS more. I definitely understand how the crankiness can make it less enjoyable. Sounds like you're having a great day at MK so far. I'm looking forward to hearing about Sorcerers. I wish we'd done that when we were there if only to get the cards as a keepsake. Also exciting that the kids are starting to like thrill rides. I hope that happens with my kids as they get older so I can go on all the roller coasters. :)

:welcome: Welcome!

Yeah, crankiness can ruin just about anything. We've all been under a lot of stress this year, it seems. Trying to get out from under at least some of it.

The kids had a lot of fun with sorcerers. I need some time to get to that part properly! This weekend I'm spending lots of time in the garden, however. I got my lovely box of perennials on Friday that I ordered back in January. So now I have to move and divide a bunch of other plants. I made a good start yesterday...

The kids liking thrill rides would be better if I liked them! Now I'm the one waiting for them sometimes! This happens more at Universal...

So, it's been a little while since I've posted an update. There's a good reason for that! Besides that I've been busy, and spent much of last weekend in the garden, I also was not properly prepared to post about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom! Since I hadn't decided to do a TR ahead of time, I wasn't fanatically taking photos to properly show everything later. So, I hadn't photographed any of the cards or the map. Fortunately, I do have some action shots. ;)

So, since I have a little time today, I asked dd where she had stashed all the cards. Fortunately, they were all still in her purse / park bag. So, I did a little photo session with them, so I can properly show everyone. Now I just need to sort through the photos, but you can expect an update shortly!

After lunch, it was time to start Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom! Fortunately, one of the starting points was not far from LTT. Naturally, it was a little bit hidden, so it took a teensy bit of searching, but we found it without too much trouble. One of the awesome things about SOMK is that it is FREE! Or, as I pointed out, included in the ticket price. ;) They were finishing up with another group when we got to the booth, and then it was our turn! The CM explained that we could work together or individually, so of course, we opted to work as a team. The kids were the ones who really wanted to do it, but of course, we got cards, too. You had the choice of either setting up a key thing, or using a Magic Band. I forget exactly what the key deal was, since we decided to use ds' MB. We did get the warning that we would need to bring back that same MB on future trips if we wanted to continue with new quests, and the MB is only good for a couple years, but I figured there was a pretty good chance the game wouldn't even be around in the future and decided to risk it. Possibly foolish of me, but, whatever. So, for my future reference, the blue MB is the one that is the SOMK key!

Then, we got our cards and map, and and were recruited to help Merlin save the Magic Kingdom from the villains and their dastardly plots! To do this, we had cards with different heroes, each with different strengths. There are 4 areas in the park, and each one has its own mission. The maps are very important, since they help you find the magic portals.

2015-05-10 12.38.55 - Copy.jpg

The training CM made a big point of letting us know that if we came back another day, we could get another card and do more missions. Since we only had one more day on our tickets, and planning to go to AK, I tried to play down that aspect a bit! I did feel like the CM was really trying to sell the kids on repeat visits with his spiel, fwiw, which never sits well with me. But, we were ready to start our first mission! Even though we got our training in Liberty Square, we would need to start on Main Street, near the other starting point. But, we also needed to sort through our cards and try to do some strategizing.

2015-05-10 12.33.25 - Copy.jpg
The cards all look the same on the back.

This was my favorite one in my pack:
2015-05-10 12.37.47 - Copy.jpg
The Sugar Plum Fairies Dewdrop Spiderweb!

2015-05-10 12.35.40 - Copy.jpg 2015-05-10 12.40.35 - Copy.jpg
We loved Frozone's Ice Blast!

Somehow, the strategizing didn't really happen. We weren't really sure how the different strengths would work, so we figured we just had to try it out. So, we headed to Main Street!

I had to take time out from updates to do something very important: pre-register dd for Pokemon Spring Regionals, and book a hotel! It's official - we're going to Madison Regionals in just a few short weeks!

So, we headed to Main Street!

2015-05-10 12.39.03 - Copy.jpg

Don't worry, I won't give too much away, in case anyone wants to do it! Plus, I don't remember exactly the portals were! I will say, at least some of the portals were inside shops, but some were outside. The cool thing about doing this is that we probably wouldn't have gone inside nearly as many shops if we hadn't done SOMK. We got to see some cool animation stills for sale, and glass art - those were the most memorable shops, imo.

(There is a good chance I will get some of the afternoon out of order - we were going all over the place, and I wasn't taking notes!)

Dh did at least insist that I take some photos of the kids in action...

Spoilers if you don't want to see portal locations...(not sure how to do the hiding thing...)

2015-03-29 14.20.22 - Copy.jpg

2015-03-29 14.20.47 - Copy.jpg

2015-03-29 14.32.19 - Copy.jpg

And those are the only portals I photographed, so you'll have to figure out the rest yourselves! ;)

A couple pointers - look for the cameras, because if the camera doesn't see the card, it won't work. Also, have your cards ready! Once you are commanded to attack, you don't have very much time!

It didn't take the kids very long to vanquish the first set of villains, so they were quickly given their next mission in Adventureland!

But first, I had to take a photo of balloons!
2015-03-29 14.44.48 - Copy.jpg
I do love the little Mickey heads inside the balloons.

So, we headed off to Adventureland.

This section was a bit more confusing. We ended up going back and forth a few times, trying to figure out exactly which spot we needed for each portal. We were also tantalizingly close to the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I know, it doesn't get a lot of love on the DisBoards, but I have always been intrigued by the whole idea. It also was one of my favorite books as a child. It was one of my first influences to like survival stories, since they were so clever in their ways to create a home on a deserted island with just the stuff on their shipwreck. Plus, I had read a TR before we left with some great photos from the top!

So, after a couple of portals (I forget how many), I convinced the family to climb with me, since we were right there, anyhow! It was pretty cool, although I think the kids would've appreciated it more if they were familiar with the story.

I did get a couple photos from the top:
2015-03-29 15.21.36 - Copy.jpg

2015-03-29 15.21.45 - Copy.jpg

Lovely view from the top!

Then, back to looking for portals, and getting confused. And also, knowing I was in the vicinity of Dole Whip! I've never had one, and since I didn't spend nearly enough time planning this trip, I couldn't remember exactly where I needed to go to get one. So, we ended up with the close but not exactly the same Citrus Swirls of infamy. Well, dd went with plain vanilla, since she doesn't like citrus. I enjoyed mine - no idea if I would prefer the actual Dole Whip, since I only had the one. This was quite a welcome break, since it was quite sunny and we were finally feeling like we were having real Florida weather!

After the kids vanquished the next villain, we were headed to Fantasyland!

That Sorcerers sounds like a lot of fun - actually I think my DS might really enjoy that. But I would be irked by the CM's pushing more visits. We don't go to WDW every year...and as such it is usually all about the rides...but maybe one day if we get to do a longer trip, we might be able to have time for that....or maybe DS would be open to doing it instead of some of the attractions. It looks like fun though - and maybe you see things you wouldn't normally notice. Sorry about the Dole Whip...I haven't actually tried one yet either but hope to next time!

Thanks for taking the time to do a primer of SOMK. We didn't try it this time and I wish we had at least gone by and grabbed a map and cards even if they'd decided not to do it. Now we know a lot more about it for next time. ;) An congrats on DDs Pokemon regionals. :thumbsup2

That Sorcerers sounds like a lot of fun - actually I think my DS might really enjoy that. But I would be irked by the CM's pushing more visits. We don't go to WDW every year...and as such it is usually all about the rides...but maybe one day if we get to do a longer trip, we might be able to have time for that....or maybe DS would be open to doing it instead of some of the attractions. It looks like fun though - and maybe you see things you wouldn't normally notice. Sorry about the Dole Whip...I haven't actually tried one yet either but hope to next time!

Yeah, it was a little annoying, since I hate when people try to sell my kids on stuff, especially really expensive things like vacations! But it was all good. I also suspect a lot of the people who do SOMK are more frequent visitors who are looking for something new.

I bet your son would enjoy it. We definitely got to explore more areas, so that was cool.

Thanks for taking the time to do a primer of SOMK. We didn't try it this time and I wish we had at least gone by and grabbed a map and cards even if they'd decided not to do it. Now we know a lot more about it for next time. ;) An congrats on DDs Pokemon regionals. :thumbsup2

I haven't seen a lot about how it works, so I had to do it.

And I'm glad we are finally set for regionals, too! Anyone can enter - this is to help her qualify for Worlds. If she does well at Regionals and Nationals, she should get to Worlds, but she has to do well... My job is to get her there, so at least she is registered and we have a place to stay!

It is occurring to me that I need to speed up this TR process, so I can get through it while I still remember what the heck happened!

As we left our intrepid Sorcerers, we were headed to Fantasyland. Cleverly, we figured out that we could take the train as a nice break, and it would drop us right in New Fantasyland!

2015-05-10 12.38.55 - Copy.jpg

Spoilers in the next paragraph...

Now, we knew that we had to go to a castle. And someone had told us that all of them were close together. But, it took us a long time to figure out that they meant The Castle. Y'know, Cindy's castle. So, we wandered around New Fantasyland, trying to figure out if the map was showing some of Belle's castle. We hadn't gotten to this section at all, so at least we got to see it in the daytime! (We knew we were headed back for 7D, but not until 10:15 pm!) Eventually, we figured out where we needed to go. Dh and I sat for a little bit while the kids ran around to the assorted portals.

Their next mission was in Liberty Square and Frontierland.

2015-05-10 12.39.32 - Copy.jpg

Ds suggested taking the train again, but since we were closer to just walk at that point. Sometime during this afternoon, probably around this point, we saw the tail end of the parade. It was cooler than I had been expecting. I've been appreciating everyone else's photos, since I missed most of it!

Once we got to Liberty Square, I think is when dh found an outlet to charge my phone, and guarded it while I walked around with the kids. Finally, the final villains were vanquished - at least for now!

And now, it was finally time for our Splash FP+!

I have to admit, I'm very glad we had FP+ for this one, and didn't wait in line. I know it is a favorite for some, but I really wasn't feeling it. Yes, there's a big splash, but then there's also an awful lot of very tame boat ride through stuff about a movie I've never seen. :confused3 We got a little wet, but not a lot.

But, we now had plenty of time before Wishes. What to do? I pointed out that Tom Sawyer's Island would be closing soon, so if we wanted to check it out, this was the time to do it! So, we got on a raft and headed over. We had fun exploring the caves, and ds had way too much fun playing in the fort with the toy guns and cannons! Then, we headed back to the shady porch area, which had some convenient tables and chairs. The kids decided to create their own card game with the Sorcerers cards. Fortunately, I had a small pad of paper and pencil, so they could write down their ideas. They hung out at one table, and dh and I hung out a few tables away, since there was hardly anyone there. (There were plenty of people in the fort, but hardly anyone sitting). Dh and I enjoyed watching the kids hatch their plots, I mean, create their game, and looking at the view, and generally being away from the crowds...

And on that note, I will bid you adieu for the night!

It’s been a busy, stressful week at work, but I’m at dd’s jazz dance class now, so I figured I’d write another update to distract myself and get more trip reported. Naturally, the wifi isn’t working well enough to actually connect to the internet, so I’m writing off-line. At least this isn’t a photo heavy update. (Note: I wrote that Thursday - now I'm finally getting around to posting on Saturday night!)

So, where were we? Finishing up with Tom Sawyer’s Island, iirc, in our nice quiet respite from the crowds. Next, we needed to get some dinner, and find a spot for Wishes! We knew we wanted to end up in Tomorrowland and New Fantasyland, since we had that 10:15 7D FP+. So, we figured we would wander over that away, in order to find dinner. I had originally scoped out a different CS restaurant for dinner, Pecos Bills, I think? But, that was not going to make sense geographically, and we are all about not walking more than necessary near the end of the day, especially when we needed to scope out a Wishes spot! :rainbow:

So, we ended up at the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant. I do *not* recommend it, I have to say. It was probably the worst CS meal we had at WDW. It wasn’t awful, but it really wasn’t at all good. Dh and I both had burgers that were basic thin burgers cooked well-done, and we both prefer medium rare in a nice thick juicy burger. I forget what the kids had. The other annoying part was simply navigating the restaurant. The CMs kept redirecting me. Then, we went the long route to find the outside restrooms, when of course, there were some much more conveniently located. Nothing overwhelmingly awful, just not great, y’know? But, it did have location, location, location, and that was what mattered.

When we were done with dinner, it was time to scope out a spot for Wishes! We remembered Main Street being simply jam packed with people from the last time we were there, so we knew we didn’t want to be there. We had tried on top of the train station our very first time, but we were very far from the action, and we also knew we wanted to go ride more afterwards, so there was no point having to go against all that Main Street traffic afterwards!

We decided to stake out a spot near the castle, on the Tomorrowland side, just a quick walk from dinner. We asked one of the CM’s, and he said we had found a good spot, with a good view of Tinkerbell’s Flight. This turned out to be a great spot for the castle light show, too! This was new since our last trip, and I hadn’t heard much about it, so it was a good surprise for all of us! 2015-03-29 20.43.04 - Copy.jpg 2015-03-29 20.43.14 - Copy.jpg
Our view of the castle before the show, and the kids patiently waiting. Yeah, it was dark. I forget if my phone was so low on battery that it wouldn't do flash anymore, or if that was actually *with* my phone's pitiful flash! But I decided that since my photos weren't that great, to just sit back and enjoy the show.

Another compare and contrast with our first trip - the first time, the castle was all lit up with Christmas lights. I have to admit, I still really love how they did it, so just plain lights didn't excite me nearly as much! I'll have to come back later with one of those photos - I don't have good access to them right now.

I'm sure most of you have heard all about the Celebrate the Magic castle show, so I won't try and do it justice. It was cool, and we had a great view. I think our favorite part was when they turned the castle into a big video game, for Wreck-it Ralph (although for me, it really looked more like a Mario game, lol).

And then, of course, Wishes! pixiedust: It was a little weird being so close that we could see Tink going back and forth to make her zipline work! I have to admit, it wasn't quite as magical when you could see what she was doing! But, I still love Wishes... :lovestruc

(My *one* photo...)
2015-03-29 21.00.40 - Copy.jpg

After Wishes, we headed to Tomorrowland. The kids had been curious about a few of the other rides. I was hoping I was going to end up on either the Tomorrowland Transit thingy or the Carousel of Progress - but instead, we ended up in line for the Astro Orbiter. I had forgotten why I hadn't put it on my list, so I said sure, why not. I think it had about a 20 minute wait when we got there? Ds got a famous red card, so he got to feel special as we waited in the slow, slow line. I hadn't realized how they put you on elevators to get up to the actual ride entrance! When we got up there, I realized that it basically goes round and round and up and down. Kinda like Dumbo. Oh, yeah, that's why I didn't put it on the list - it loads slowly, and isn't a thrill ride! :scared1: :confused3 But, the kids enjoyed it, and at least we got to look at Tomorrowland all lit up, so that was cool.

When we were done, it was about time to head for our 10:15 Seven Dwarves Mine Train FP+, at long last! I was very grateful we had our FP+ - it still had a pretty long line, even that late at night. And the verdict? It was cool, and very cute, but too short! I like that level of thrillness, but more ride would've been better, especially after all the hype!

Funny how before our trip, it seemed like we were seeing it featured constantly on Disney Channel (dd watches some of the tween shows, esp Girl Meets World lately). But, now, not as much - although constant Tomorrowland movie trailers, of course. Which we *will* need to go see next weekend. Even though dd and I still haven't gotten to see the new Cinderella *or* Into the Woods. But since I think everyone in the family wants to see Tomorrowland, there's a bigger chance we'll actually do it!

Anyhow, after 7DMT, we decided it was time to head back to the condo. It had been a good but long day for all of us!

Next, was our AK day! This would be our last WDW park day of the trip (but not our last theme park day).

We had a 10:35 Tusker House ADR, which meant we didn't need to get up at the crack of dawn. However, as I had to remind the others, we still needed to leave the resort somewhat early, since we would need to drive, park, go through bag check, and get through the park to the right area. I think we left the resort around 9:15? We got there with about 15 minutes to spare for our ADR, leisurely walking through the park.

I did get a quick photo with the Tree of Life - not covered in barricades!
2015-03-30 10.14.26 copy.jpg

Since we had time before our ADR, we wandered around a little in the area in the little shops. Lots of cool stuff, but I didn't take any photos. We checked in, and got to wait some more before we got our table. Breakfast was really more like brunch - lots of choices. The kids made sure to get their Mickey waffles, of course. I had to try a little bit of everything, especially the more exotic choices. Everything was yummy! It was definitely a good splurge.

Plus, characters! DD wasn't quite so sure about the whole posing with characters thing. It took her a little while to warm up to the whole concept.
2015-03-30 10.51.24 copy.jpg

Ds was much more assured.
2015-03-30 10.51.30 copy.jpg
Of course, he was the one who had requested a character meal in the first place.

2015-03-30 10.56.33 copy.jpg
He's definitely getting into the spirit.

2015-03-30 10.57.03 copy.jpg

Dd preferred to be the photographer. I kinda like the cropped Mickey head - it's artistic, right?

Finally, she got talked into a full family photo:
2015-03-30 10.59.47 copy.jpg
That may be the only family photo from the entire trip, sadly. It's also probably the best my hair looked the whole trip, too! :lmao:

2015-03-30 11.00.12 copy.jpg
Finally getting into the spirit of things.

We still had plenty of time before our Safari FP+, so we quickly went through the trail. I think this is the same trail we did the first trip, and the only one we ended up doing on either one! Maybe someday I'll get to see the tiger!

Ds and I decided to take a quick bathroom break before the safari. On my way back to meet up, I saw a kiosk reminding us that it was the last chance to buy film before the safari. Now, I didn't need any film, of course, but I realized I ought to see if I could get some batteries for my digital camera, since I hadn't remembered to buy any more and it was totally dead. And it is quite a bit better than my phone! My biggest memory from the safari from my first trip is ds constantly asking me to take photos of all the animals, and I figured it probably wouldn't be any different this time! So, I asked at the kiosk about batteries, but they didn't have any, and suggested I try the store across the street. The nice CM at the counter couldn't find any, but insisted she knew they had some in the back, and made me wait while they found some for me. It had now taken me quite a bit longer than I had expected, and I was hoping the rest of the family wasn't worried about me, so I was getting a little antsy! But, they finally tracked down a small box of batteries - apparently, they aren't in high demand anymore, now that so many people use their phones! (I guess the people who have good cameras aren't using AA batteries, anyhow!)

After paying for my batteries, I tracked down the rest of the family, who had started to wonder if I had fallen down a hole. ;) Then, we got in line!

Next time: A pic heavy Safari report!

I ended up sitting between ds and dd on the safari. As predicted, ds did want me to take photos of pretty much every animal we spotted! And we were happy that it was still cool enough that we spotted a lot of animals! This is also the first time DisBoards has told me I have tried to upload too many photos for one post, lol!

Here we go!
P1070311 copy.JPG P1070317 copy.JPG

P1070321 copy.JPG
I love the updise down baobob trees! Don't try looking for an animal - that photo was for the tree!

P1070322 copy.JPG
I also wanted a photo so you could see another safari vehicle in the distance. No, we are not alone out here, folks!

P1070331 copy.JPG
P1070332 copy.JPG
P1070338 copy.JPG
P1070334 copy.JPG
P1070341 copy.JPG
Ok, so I could've waited and gotten a safari truck, a baobab tree, *and* flamingos in one shot...

P1070346 copy.JPG
About this time, I slowed down taking photos. Can you see the grey mounds in the corner? There were lots of "photo ops" where I figured it would just look like a grey mound, and that's what I told ds when he complained that I wasn't taking enough photos! :lmao:

I love the photo of DS with Mickey!! :) And how DD warmed up to the characters!! :thumbsup2

Great update! :dance3:

I love the photo of DS with Mickey!! :) And how DD warmed up to the characters!! :thumbsup2

Great update! :dance3:

Thanks! At least it was better than our first trip, when she was pretty much terrified of all of the characters! But I don't think meeting characters will ever be her thing. Unless she can meet Pokemon characters, of course - she'd be all over that!

Great updates!!! I can't believe there was still a long line for 7DMT at 10:15pm...that's nuts!!!

Yeah, it was pretty busy all of Spring Break, so the lines never did die down, it seemed!

It was a little weird being so close that we could see Tink going back and forth to make her zipline work! I have to admit, it wasn't quite as magical when you could see what she was doing! But, I still love Wishes... :lovestruc

That's pretty cool to see even though it spoils the magic a little.

I hadn't realized how they put you on elevators to get up to the actual ride entrance! When we got up there, I realized that it basically goes round and round and up and down. Kinda like Dumbo. Oh, yeah, that's why I didn't put it on the list - it loads slowly, and isn't a thrill ride!

That's why we've never done it. It seems like a lot to go through - line, elevator ride - for just Dumbo. :laughing: Was the view great?
It's also probably the best my hair looked the whole trip, too! :lmao:

I totally relate to this. ;) I'm glad it was looking good in the picture. You got some great pictures at the breakfast. ::yes::

But, they finally tracked down a small box of batteries - apparently, they aren't in high demand anymore, now that so many people use their phones! (I guess the people who have good cameras aren't using AA batteries, anyhow!)

Wow. I'm surprised there isn't more demand for batteries. I'm glad they were able to find some so you could get some pics of the safari. :thumbsup2

That's why we've never done it. It seems like a lot to go through - line, elevator ride - for just Dumbo. :laughing: Was the view great?
It was a great view, but I wasn't quite prepared for photos, alas. And it's harder to really watch the view when you are going round and round and up and down!

I totally relate to this. ;) I'm glad it was looking good in the picture. You got some great pictures at the breakfast. ::yes::
Thanks! I have to admit, we might've had more family photos if I hadn't hated my hair most of the trip! Vanity, vanity...

Wow. I'm surprised there isn't more demand for batteries. I'm glad they were able to find some so you could get some pics of the safari. :thumbsup2

I was glad, too! There are more good photos when I eventually get to more updates, thanks to those batteries! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter