How different can two trips be? Let me count the ways! COMPLETE!

Pretty nice, huh? I know not many DisBoarders stay here, so I figured I should post a bunch of photos.

Nice condo! How long did it take you to get to the Parks each day? I would like to try staying off property on our next family trip since there will be about 10 of us but since we fly into Orlando, we never rent a car so we would need at least 3 cars. Not sure if staying off property & renting 3 cars would be less expensive or to just rent DVC points like we always do and stay at one of the DVC resorts (we always stay at Boardwalk Villas so would be nice to try another resort). Our rooms usually cost around $100-120/night renting points and we would need 3 rooms this time. We get spoiled staying on property lol

Last edited:
Joining! :goodvibes I grew up in the Chicago area, but have lived in CO for many years. Wish we could drive from here…you guys are lucky!! :thumbsup2 It would be nice to save that money.

We love to stay offsite at Windsor Hills or do split stays like we are doing next month. A few onsite, then to a nice house for the remainder. I don't think DH would go as much if we had to stay in a small room each time. Blue Heron looks nice. Glad you enjoyed it. :)!

Welcome, BellaBaby! :welcome: CO is beautiful, but definitely would be a much longer drive! Where in CO? Dh's sister and family lived in Longmont for a few years.

Dh was definitely in favor of room to spread out. He pretty much refused to stay in a standard room for a week, even if the kids had been ok with it.

Did I miss a pic of your Holiday Inn Express room? I was so curious as to what you forgot when you left the hotel room back in Georgia that I missed the part where you said it was your DD's stuffed kitty. So sad they didn't find it but happy it wasn't one of her favs :)

I think there was a little bit of confusion with the earlier post, since I never did post a picture of the Holiday Inn Express room. It was a standard room - we think dd probably left her stuffed kitty on the rolloway bed that was next to the window (aka furthest from the door when we were leaving).

Nice condo! How long did it take you to get to the Parks each day? I would like to try staying off property on our next family trip since there will be about 10 of us but since we fly into Orlando, we never rent a car so we would need at least 3 cars. Not sure if staying off property & renting 3 cars would be less expensive or to just rent DVC points like we always do and stay at one of the DVC resorts (we always stay at Boardwalk Villas so would be nice to try another resort). Our rooms usually cost around $100-120/night renting points and we would need 3 rooms this time. We get spoiled staying on property lol

I forget exactly how long it took, but we really weren't very far from the parks. I think it took 10-15 minutes to get to the TTC parking lot, maybe? I did recently look at the faq about renting DVC points, and saw something about how cancelling/changing plans can be difficult, and so I'm not sure if we'll ever try that. But, you never know.

So, since we survived the tween sleepover, and have done some chores, I guess I can come back to the trip report! We haven't even gotten to a theme park yet! On with the show...

I just realized, the TR doesn't have our planned itinerary! Of course, you could always look at my PTR for some of that, but here's the quick rundown:

Thurs, March 26 - leave Illinois, arrive Atlanta late
Friday, March 27 - arrive Blue Heron Resort mid or late afternoon (driving)
Sat, March 28 - Epcot
Sun, March 29 - MK
Mon, March 30 - AK
Tues, March 31 - rest day
Weds, Apr 1 - Universal
Thurs, Apr 2 - Universal
Fri, Apr 3 - head north...

So, if you are following along, today is our Epcot day! This was the latest park opening day of our entire trip - 9 am. As it turns out, it was also the *only* day we made Rope Drop!

We had a quick breakfast in the room of leftover pizza, and I quickly packed up my bag for the park (I had a large nylon purse with some exterior pockets that may show up later in a photo - I think I may have been the only one to take a bag that day. Dd also brought a small cross-body bag, and dh sometimes brought a small backpack.) I had to switch over from road trip packing to parks packing, lol. In the rush, I forgot to grab my and dd's hats. Dh and ds had planned to buy sunglasses, since neither had a good pair or a hat they wanted to wear. But, we would have to wait and buy them in the park.

We were able to use a combination of google maps and signage to get to the Epcot parking lot relatively easily. We were amused to discuss the Heroes vs Villains parking lots. We were in Simba. Our tram driver was awesome. She made us repeat the lot and row several times, to make sure we all remembered it! I remembered the number that day, at least, but it is totally gone from my memory now! :rofl:

We were doing great on time. I think we got off the tram around 8:30 or so? The first order of business was to buy Magic Bands, and tie them to our cards. We didn't *need* to buy them, but dh had been dying to find an excuse ever since he read the big article about them. Once I started realizing how we'd need to use the cards for our FP+ each time, and would need to keep them safe but quick to access, that was enough excuse to justify buying the bands! Yes, we could've figured out a work-around, but we didn't try too hard. So, we found the ticket counter for buying our magic bands, and picked our colors.

20150328_091327(0)-web.jpg
Magic Bands, unite! :)

We were technically there for RD, but since we were busy with getting our MB, we were at the back of the group walking into the park. But, that was ok.

Our FP+ for the day:
10:05 Spaceship Earth
11:45 Mission Space
1:30 Soarin'

We started out by walking over to Test Track. It had been down when dh and ds tried to ride on our earlier trip, so this was a first for all of us. The SB line was already pretty long, so we hopped into the single rider line. We barely had enough time to customize our cars, the line was moving so quickly! It was a fun ride, although I think we would've had more fun if we had been all together and gotten into the competitive spirit. We spent a little time in the game stuff at the end, but then we went out and had to figure out what to do before our Spaceship Earth FP+. I think we browsed a couple stores - dh and ds were realizing it was pretty sunny and they were wanting their sunglasses. Also, we started the search for a replacement stuffed animal for dd. We didn't see any sunglasses the guys liked. There was one stuffed animal dd was considering - Stitch's girlfriend (I forget her name). But, she liked her, not loved her, so we decided to come back later if she decided she really wanted her.

I can tell I'd better keep writing all of this, because details are already getting pretty fuzzy in my brain!

I do remember that when we walked over to Spaceship Earth, the kids were pretty excited that they got to go inside the big white ball. Also, we were very grateful we had a FP+, because the line was already pretty long! One thing we noticed the whole time was that people in the FP+ line almost always had Magic Bands, and a lot of the people in SB looking wistfully at us walking by, didn't have Magic Bands. It seems like the marketing for on-site guests worked pretty well, but not so much for people staying off-site. I have no idea how many people staying off-site bought Magic Bands like us.

Next up: Spaceship Earth!

Spaceship Earth was pretty cool. I rode with ds, and dd rode with dh. One thing that was nice about this trip was that we split up a bunch of different ways for rides - not always the same pairs, which was nice, since lots of times dd *only* wants to be with me. The best part about it was the Postcard from the Future, actually. I let ds pick, and for some reason, he picked Health. I don't think I can upload that big of a file, but here's the link to the video. It was hilarious!

Now, we had a bunch of time before our next FP+. We had never checked out Innoventions, so we checked out one side. The kids quickly decided it didn't have much for kids their age except a few video games. So, they played the Brave video game for a bit. Ok, but we didn't go to a theme park to play a video game! We went to the other side, where the build your own roller coaster looked a little more interesting - but had a 25 minute wait. They decided it wasn't worth a 25 minute wait. At some point, they did do a little messing around - I forget exactly where this was taken:
20150328_111323 - Copy.jpg Anyhow, it looks like dd brought her cross-body bag that day, too.

So, what next?

We wandered around a little, and I'm sure some of this is out of order. We watched the fountain show for a bit. We also found our way to Club Cool. I resisted trying the infamous Beverly, but dh chose to try it of his own accord! The pineapple one was my favorite, iirc.

A shopping photo:
2015-03-28 11.35.56 - Copy.jpg

Of course, it was also Flower & Garden festival! I didn't take nearly enough photos, but here's Sorcerer Mickey:
20150328_141946 - Copy.jpg

P1070295 - Copy.JPG
More Fantasia! That's probably dh's favorite classic Disney movie, and ds used to love it when he was a toddler.

But, it was finally time for Mission: Space! Naturally, the kids wanted to try the Orange version. Dh and I had a feeling we wouldn't really enjoy it, but what the heck - it was the first test of what our family could take on the thrill/motion spectrum for this trip. The kids had no problem with the motion - dh and I both felt a little queasy at the end. Dd was relatively underwhelmed with the whole thing, I think. Not our favorite.

Since we had more time before Soarin', we wandered over the Festival Center (with dh convincing the kids to be nice to mom, the gardener). I did a quick wander through, but nothing seemed all that exciting, honestly. The topiaries were the best part for me.

We still had more time, and we were getting hungry, so we went to Sunshine Seasons at The Land. I think I have a love/hate relationship with Sunshine Seasons. It is so spread out! Dh finally found a table, and the rest of us went in search of food. Ironically, dd got an adult meal, and ds and I both got kids meals! :rofl: I forget exactly what everyone else got, but I remember precisely that I got the kids' version of fresh salmon with green beans! *That* was delicious. I was saving room for all of the different things to eat around World Showcase, so I wanted to eat lightly. But, the salmon may have been my favorite thing I ate all day, honestly!

We still had a little more time before Soarin', so I convinced the kids to do Living with the Land (about 25 minutes SB). The first part is nothing special, but I still love the greenhouse part.
2015-03-28 13.44.06copy.jpg 2015-03-28 13.44.11copy.jpg 2015-03-28 13.45.17 - Copy.jpg

Look at all that cool stuff growing! Do you see the Mickey? And there's a tour group in there!

2015-03-28 13.46.02 - Copy.jpg
This tour group is getting to walk around!

Personally, I prefer a more natural, cottage garden look for my own garden (which I got to work in a little today, finally!) But I love seeing all the different ways to grow in a greenhouse.

Then, finally, Soarin'!

This was one of my very favorites from our first trip. Somehow, I didn't enjoy it quite as much this time around. I don't know how much is because I'm now wearing progressive bifocals (that may have been a factor in several of the motion/3d type attractions), but it made me slightly queasy this time around. Possibly a leftover from Mission Space. Still fun, however.

But, it was time to leave Future World behind, and head over to World Showcase.

Last edited:
Love Epcot!!! To be honest...I'm a big chicken and have never been on either version of Mission Space lol...but maybe I will try the tamer side next time! Is that one more like a movie ride? LOVE the land ....I agree about Sunshine Seasons though...some good choices but it's just a bit of a pain if everyone wants something different.

Love Epcot!!! To be honest...I'm a big chicken and have never been on either version of Mission Space lol...but maybe I will try the tamer side next time! Is that one more like a movie ride?

I finally got the courage to try the green side last trip! It's really not that bad. I'm a bit claustrophobic so it's never going to be a favorite, but it was fun.

Love Epcot!!! To be honest...I'm a big chicken and have never been on either version of Mission Space lol...but maybe I will try the tamer side next time! Is that one more like a movie ride? LOVE the land ....I agree about Sunshine Seasons though...some good choices but it's just a bit of a pain if everyone wants something different.

I think it still has the 3d, but not the motion/gravity.

Following along! We eat at SS every trip. I'm going to try the kids' salmon next time. Thanks for the tip!

Welcome! :welcome:

View attachment 89378

But, it was finally time for Mission: Space! Naturally, the kids wanted to try the Orange version. Dh and I had a feeling we wouldn't really enjoy it, but what the heck - it was the first test of what our family could take on the thrill/motion spectrum for this trip. The kids had no problem with the motion - dh and I both felt a little queasy at the end. Dd was relatively underwhelmed with the whole thing, I think. Not our favorite.

The Green version of Mission Space is intense enough, and the experience is similar enough that we don't miss the Orange version anymore! Way too intense.

We can't wait to try out the Magic Bands on our next trip. Loved the colors you chose! Pineapple drink?! Sounds yummy!

Heading out from The Land, we planned to go straight to WS, starting with Canada. But, first we saw a butterfly pavilion! So, dd and I had to check it out. We always enjoy seeing butterfly houses, although this was relatively small, so we didn't stay long. They were also giving out free Go-go squeeze apple sauce snack things, so we had a quick snack. Naturally, my kids asked for them once we got home, but I remembered why I don't normally buy them. They are about 3x as much as regular pre-packaged applesauce! So, I did buy them once, and then I bought some of the regular natural applesauce, lol.

Anyhow, we were headed to Canada. Unfortunately, this is where we started noticing lots of crowds. I may not have mentioned, but my dh does not do well with crowds - not at all. Especially when people don't go with the traffic flow he expects. And that happens a lot. So he was getting pretty grumpy. And cranky. And not having success in finding sunglasses he liked. So the sun was in his face. And he was crowded. And grumpy. And cranky.

But - we still wanted to see stuff at World Showcase. And since we only had 3 day tickets, if we left, we probably wouldn't be coming back. So, we continued.

Note to self - if we ever go back to WDW, we will not try to do Epcot first and do the whole thing. We've now done this twice...

But, here are a couple photos...
P1070296 - Copy.JPG P1070298 - Copy.JPG

Unfortunately, I had not planned out exactly what snacks we should try when eating around World Showcase. This turned out to be a problem, since it was crowded and there were enough lines that we didn't want to stand in line if we didn't have to. We did get some crepes with sugar and ice cream. And a couple other things, but not as much as I had wanted.

I was also reminded that World Showcase isn't really my favorite, since I've been to some of the countries, and it really isn't the same. France especially, since I've spent the most time there.

I do enjoy Disney's version of Morocco. I haven't been to Morocco, but it reminds me of the Moorish architecture in Spain that I've seen.
P1070301 - Copy.JPG

The kids weren't that impressed with World Showcase, either. They did take a break at a Kidcot Station - 13 yo's idea!

P1070299 - Copy.JPG

P1070300 - Copy.JPG

But, at this point, dd was started to get tired. She doesn't have a huge amount of stamina at the best of times, and she was losing her adrenaline rush, esp since it seemed like we criss-crossed Future World a few times over the course of the morning.

But, I had been saving one little surprise for her.

I may have mentioned once or twice that my dd loves Pokemon. So, I knew that she would love checking out the Japanese pavilion's array of Pokemon stuff. But, I hadn't mentioned to *her* that there might be Pokemon stuff on this trip at all! So, when she was dragging along and starting to talk about how tired she was, I mentioned that there was a possibility that she might get to see some Pokemon stuff in the next country - Japan!

Needless to say, that perked her right up!

It took us a little while to get to the Pokemon section of the big store, but when we got there, she got all of her energy back, she was so excited! She had never seen so much different Pokemon merchandise in one place before!

Look, they have all the manga!
P1070303 - Copy.JPG

And look at all the other stuff! Big brother is not nearly as impressed.
P1070304 - Copy.JPG

Wait, we need to pose you again, so we can see how excited dd is, and how not excited ds is:
P1070305 - Copy.JPG
(Can you tell he's actually cracking up while posing as bored?)

Then, we needed to pick out an actual souvenir. This was difficult, of course! She was quite tempted by a huge Pokedex (book) with details about all of the Pokemon in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, esp since it has lots of competitive information. But, we figured we could get that on Amazon. She finally settled on a toy thingy - I forget exactly what it was called, but it had Flareon, one of the Eevee evolutions. Overpriced, but oh, well.

Once we were done, her energy vanished. She was ready to leave. Sigh. We are obviously not going to get to see World Showcase properly. We decided to try and take the boat back. There was a line, including a big church choir group. The boat finally got there, and they filled up right before us. In fact, they wouldn't let the 4 of us on, but let on 3 kids from the church group who were after us, because they only had 3 spaces. We were a little peeved at that point, but decided we didn't feel like waiting for the next boat. We went through the Norway exhibit, and ds got something from the Norway bakery. We sat and hung out for a bit, and finally just walked all the way back and out.

Filling in a couple gaps - at some point in WS, ds and dh finally bought some sunglasses.

I do remember we got food from the F&G kiosk with a Mexican theme. I hadn't planned for sure to do a TR when we were there, or maybe I would've taken more food photos.

I hope it isn't bumming you out to hear about our not-so-great WS experience. A lot of it was adjusting to being in big crowds (esp dh) and lots of walking (esp dd) and lots of lines (esp dh and ds). We had some family discussions that evening, and the next day was much, much better!

I'm sorry your WS experience wasn't so great. I love Epcot but if kids have to wait for stuff I find they aren't as excited about it...sigh. Sometimes the little pop up shows they have help too. What can you do. At least the Pokemon helped a bit! Glad to hear the next day was better...looking forward to hearing more about that :)

So, when we got back to the resort, we had to decide what to do about actual dinner, since we hadn't had nearly enough to eat at WS.

One nice thing about Blue Heron - the website has a really nice intuitive map of the nearby restaurants. Dh did some TripAdvisor research, and we settled on Orlando Ale House, since it was convenient, not a chain, and got decent reviews, and it looked like everyone could get something they would eat.

If you ever do go there, be warned, parking is at a premium! Dh dropped the rest of us off, and took a few minutes finding a parking spot, although thankfully the restaurant next door was being remodeled and he found a space in their lot. Once that one is open, there definitely won't be enough parking! Remember, this was also a Saturday night. Fortunately, we were able to get a table right away, since they were almost full.

What we *didn't* know about the restaurant is that they also have a roaming magician/balloon artist! He was pretty cool, and made dd a turtle. She made sure to take photos, since we knew it wouldn't last.
20150328_195445 - Copy.jpg
That's my park bag in the background, btw.

After a good sit-down dinner, we were all feeling a bit better. Next up: Magic Kingdom!

OMG! That turtle is so cute! ::yes:: My older DD would love it! Maybe we will check out OAH on our upcoming trip….how was the food?

OMG! That turtle is so cute! ::yes:: My older DD would love it! Maybe we will check out OAH on our upcoming trip….how was the food?

Thanks for asking - because that made me go look at the menu to try and remember what I ordered! :rotfl: I had the Seafood Mac & Cheese, which had shrimp, scallops and mushrooms. It was amazing! Dd ended up ordering a plain version of it, without seafood or fungus, since she is a mac & cheese snob but has yet to develop a taste for seafood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter