How did you get your kids to love WDW?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
Ok DIS parents, how did you get your kids to love WDW as much as you do? DH and I are expecting our first in July, and I want to get this baby to be a Disney-lovin fool like his/her mommy. Daddy is a fan too, but not to the extent Mommy is.

I can already hear myself telling baby a bedtime story: "In a far off place called Florida, there is a Magical Kingdom...."

I plan on watching Disney movies and reading Disney stories, watching YouTube videos and vacation planning videos. Is there anything I am missing?

I guess what I want to instill in my child is that sense of wonderment and safety I feel when I'm at Disney World. It is truly my safe place, and where I can let my fears and worries go for a little bit. Even though I had to grow up quick (due to health issues in my family) I was always able to just be a kid at Disney. That is what I want for my child. A place they can dream about and take comfort from when things are tough and they need a mental escape.

Thanks for any ideas! The support on this community is the best!

You won't really have to try. Once they go, they will be hooked on the Magic-especially if you show it to them in the way you see it. Grumpy people will always be grumps but if you're hooked on pixie dust, you show that to your kids by example and they probably will be too. How could they not, right?:lovestruc

You won't really have to try. Once they go, they will be hooked on the Magic-especially if you show it to them in the way you see it. Grumpy people will always be grumps but if you're hooked on pixie dust, you show that to your kids by example and they probably will be too. How could they not, right?:lovestruc

yeah- i don't see how you need to try :)

We took our first trip there with our boys last year (age 2.5 twins and 5yo) and they are all hooked now!

They all watched disney movies, so knew most of the characters. I don't read Disney books b/c I find them to be kind of crappy, literature wise for kids (I'm a former K teacher and really picky about the kind of books i read my kids - a poorly written book is dreadful for me to read to them, which most Disney books are)... they have tons of Disney toys (esp toy story - they all love it!)...

so going there and seeing it all over, and meeting the characters, they were just in amazment!

They literally ask "when are we going back to disney world?" almost EVERY day since we returned in April. (we're going in may, but they don't know yet!)

my boys look for hidden mickeys even here in NJ (we found one at the zoo the other night- a cactus shaped like one!).... so it's IN them now!

I agree with PP's. I don't think you need to try. I think the main thing is to show your child how much you love it once you are there. We didn't even let my son watch tv until he was 2, and he loved Disney his first 2 trips even without knowing who any of the characters were. I think especially with older kids all the Disney propaganda could back fire because if Mom likes it, then it surely can't be cool.

I also learned very quickly that you have very little control over what your child will enjoy. I don't wear any jewelry at all, not even wedding rings until recently. Yet my son is obsessed with necklaces and bracelets of all kinds. He didn't learn this from anyone in our family, it is just what he likes. So you never know. The best you can do is show your child a good time when you visit, don't drill 'Disney' into them before you arrive.

You really can't do anything to make them love it. My daughter fell in love with WDW on her first trip. My 2 sons don't care for it at all. The boys went twice and did not care to go again. My daughter and I have gone at least 2x a year for 17 years. We are skipping this year due to the FP+ business for AP holders.

I think it's key NOT to try to push it on them. Just go, and odds are they'll love it. If they don't, it's not the end of the world.

Once you have your kids, you'll appreciate their thoughts and opinions even if they hate the things you love. It'll frustrate the heck out of you at times, but overall you'll appreciate that they have their own ideals.

There was no "trying" involved in dd liking Disney. Her first time going was this past September, she was 3, and that's all it took. The minute that we stepped into the Magic Kingdom and saw the castle, she was hooked. She screamed, "mommy, that's Cinderella's castle" and I swear that I teared up seeing how happy she was. The real kicker was when she met Pooh and friends. We had a lunch ADR that day at the Crystal Palace and she was so excited to meet them all. Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore had already been around to the table. She was patiently awaiting for the arrival of Pooh and finally when he came, she jumped up and hugged him and started crying. It was priceless. She talks about Disney World everyday and I can't wait to take her back.

Like others have said, you don't have to worry. My DH and I would joke that we planted the "Disney seeds of love" with her watching Disney Junior. We read Disney books and watched Disney movies. When she turned 3 we talked about Disney World and that she would get to go someday. We took her at 3 1/2 and she LOVED it. So much in fact that we will be back in May and are going again December!!!:goodvibes

For us there was not any trying involved. Older DS has always loved Disney World. He can tell you all about the parks. He likes most Disney Junior shows, but gets scared at most Disney movies. Younger DS just started really talking. One of his first words was "mou mou". Everyone thinks he's saying mama. But nope, it's Mickey Mouse. :). He loves all things Mickey. The boys' room is done in a Wilderness Lodge theme. So they have pretty much grown up with Disney all around them.

Each of our 3 kids made their first trip at about 3 months old and they have all been back at least a week a year since - that has worked for us!

Taking them on vacation pretty much did it. Of course, they had to be old enough to remember it.

I'm a dictator :laughing: They never had a choice otherwise.

J/K My kids & hubby were Disney Lifers from their first visit :thumbsup2

My DD9 took her first trip at 7 months and even though she had no idea what was going on, her face was lit up the entire trip! She was all smiles and giggles the whole time, it was great. She already had Disney themed toys and liked the Pooh Stuff and as she hit a little over a year she starting loving the Disney Channel and was and is just as hooked as her Mommy! My DD4 first went at 13 months and she is now just as hooked. I think you will have no problems! ;)

You can't force love but you can associate Disney with good times. I'm sure you will do fine :) just don't stress too much at Disney and definitely don't yell or verbally assault/abuse your child at Disney. They won't want to go back with a mean parent.

You can't force it. My oldest DS hates it. We started taking him when he was 4 and he liked it until he was about 15 and now he refuses to go back. He will go to Florida with us, but will not go to any of the parks. Middle DS likes it, use to love it, but will still go to the parks. Youngest DD can take it or leave it. She will go with us, but wouldn't go out of her way to go on her own.

Me on the other hand loves it and so does oldest DSs wife so the two of us are always game-on for a trip!

I took DD when she was 2 months old (obviously she doesn't remember), and we are going back in Dec for her 2yo birthday, so I don't know if she will love WDW like I do - hopefully! Since some of you mentioned Disney videos, my daughter hardly ever watches TV, but she LOVES a Disney Sing Along video called Disneyland Fun. I had the same video as a child and loved it. She points to her favorite characters. I would recommend this DVD to anyone introducing their kids to the parks, even if it is Disneyland instead of WDW!

There is no *making them* love it. Were you *made* to love it? Our children, like ourselves, naturally enjoyed it. That's the only way, just like anything you are introduced to, and experience.

I would focus less on WDW and more on the characters. We exposed our DDs to the characters, films, books, etc... They didn't even know about WDW until we brought them. They believed in the magic when we were there because they knew about the characters. That 's what disney is all about, the characters. There is so much material to show them and they constantly grow into new films. They are 4 and 2. They haven't seen Snow White or sleeping beauty, but they know and love the princesses. We watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks, dumbo and Mary Poppins recently and they loved them. Show them a little at a time. A lot of it is too scary, but the direct to video sequels are great for young kids. Watch them on your own first so you can skip the scary parts or see if they are too scary ( like Brave, which is too scary and quite frankly a terrible movie).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter