How did we do? Would you change Boardwalk for Saratoga?

disneydivermom

Mouseketeer
Our DVC closed and points have been added so we just booked our first DVC vacation. Really last minute so how did we do? We are a family of 4, 2 adults, DS 16, DD 10. We are driving from Ontario and want to check out HH and VB and are able to do that :rotfl:. There is a 1 bedroom at SS when we are at Boardwalk in a studio. Would you change the ressie to SS?

Dec 30 - Wait list HH 1 bedroom :sad2:
Dec 31 - HH 2 bedroom. Wait list 1 bedroom
Jan 1-3 - Boardwalk Studio (wanted OKW or AK 1 bedroom - SS is available)
Jan 4-5 - Vero Inn Room
Jan 6 - HH Studio

Let me know what you think :surfweb:.

I just want to add that don't give up seven days out. Just in case you don't know - there is NO WAITLIST. So you could phone under seven days as much as you want. And if it's a "no" one minute it could be a "yes" the next because someone has phoned in a cancellation when you were off the phone. I know it's a high capacity time but you never know.

I've scored a myriads of rooms under seven days. One week BW Standard. SSR - early December. AKV - Savannah when it was just AKL - BCV prime Spring break time etc.

Have a wonderful time.

Oh forgot to actually answer your question.

BWV - you were beyond blessed by a lucky star to nab that studio. BWV is my absolute favourite.

EDIT: Just checked out your children and their ages. Would do the SSR one bedroom for sure.

If you're all disappointed about BWV - go for a one bedroom under seven days and if you don't get it or AKV/OKW - well all of you would enjoy DD being right there.

I would switch to the 1 bedroom that is available. If you want to call a lot to get something other than SS, fine, but for my WDW stay, I would want the more room.

At VB, do you have an OVIR? I hope so!

No! Keep the Boardwalk! Boardwalk is our home DVC resort and I love it! Its SO nice to be able to walk to and from EPCOT and DHS - especially at the end of the night, you dont have to walk back through to the front of the park and wait for a bus!

I would opt for the one bedroom at SSR just to spread out a little and catch up on laundry! You all will have a long trip back home and not having a ton of laundry to do at home might make it that much more relaxing. And, coming from either a 1 or 2 bedroom at HH will make the studio seem cramped.

Enjoy - you are really hitting the highlights of the East Coast, DVC style!

If I have a reservation already, am I able to switch resorts 7 days prior to check in without putting points into holding?

If I have a reservation already, am I able to switch resorts 7 days prior to check in without putting points into holding?

Any unused points would go into holding. That would happen if the new reservation used fewer points than the original.

Our DVC closed and points have been added so we just booked our first DVC vacation. Really last minute so how did we do? We are a family of 4, 2 adults, DS 16, DD 10. We are driving from Ontario and want to check out HH and VB and are able to do that :rotfl:. There is a 1 bedroom at SS when we are at Boardwalk in a studio. Would you change the ressie to SS?

Dec 30 - Wait list HH 1 bedroom :sad2:
Dec 31 - HH 2 bedroom. Wait list 1 bedroom
Jan 1-3 - Boardwalk Studio (wanted OKW or AK 1 bedroom - SS is available)
Jan 4-5 - Vero Inn Room
Jan 6 - HH Studio

Let me know what you think :surfweb:.

If you can get BWview go for it. We own OKW & SSR but stay most of the time at BW with BWview. To uis best view of all the resorts. Lots of action with people and the boats with view across the lake. We like walking to Epcot and Hollywood.

OK, I double checked our reservations and Vero is ocean view - yah. BWV is garden or pool view - hummm. Everyone posted that we would want a boardwalk view. Better discuss with hubby in the morning. We have 26 banked points left so I think I better better make a decision quick.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

That's a toiugh one. I was reserved at SSR and just got my waitlist for BWV garden/pool view and soooo excited. I've stayed in studio many times with 1 adult and 3 children when children were smaller and it was okay for a few days, but I'm not sure about the size/age of your children. It also depends on how much time you spend in the room. We have been so many times that we spend a good amount of time at the resort and the extra space is nice. Either way, you will have an awesome time!:)

I would say that you would have to decide which is more important...the room size or location/theme.

For me, I prefer BWV over SSR and would be fine in a studio. I prefer BWV because of the location (close to EPCOT & the shops/restaurants on the Boardwalk) & for the theme. (I like BWV theme over SSR.)

Now at SSR you will be close to Downtown Disney & there are lots of great places to eat there - arguably better than at BWV - but a longer hike to get to them than at BWV.

So...I don't know if I've helped or just muddied the situation but I thought I'd add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Stay at BWV ...... You will only have the 2nd & 3rd.....by the time you actually get your room on the 1st ( chances are it will be at least mid afternoon ) I think it a great time of year to have BWV :lovestruc

If you were staying a week then it might be a different opinion.

You potentially got 1 or 2 bedroom units at HH to spread out prior to your arrival.

Enjoy

For the location I would leave it alone. There are only a couple days in a studio. Agree with PP, you are in a 1-2 bedroom before.

I would waitlist for the 4-5th in a 1 bedroom, and skip the 1 bedroom at BWV.

As a side note I LOVE SSR, but this time of yr is so busy travel time to-fro park is way better by boat, and legs vrs bus. Any other than prime busy time, I would pick SSR over BWV.

BWV is way better for location and worth it...even staying in a studio. SSR is my least fave DVC property st WDW.

HH is nice...good luck with you wait list there.

Thank you all for your imput !!!:thumbsup2

Both our 1 bedroom WL at HH came through so we had 2 nighst at HH.
3 nights studio at BWV with a pool view.
2 nights VB inn room with ocean view.
1 night studio HH on route home.

Based on the posts I was concerned about the size of the studios for our family. It all worked out just great! My kids are athletes so we are used to our family of 4 in fairly small hotel room, or rooming with other parents/athletes. I always unpack and find living out of furniture saves space vs. living out of multiple suit cases. I did laundry even when not in our room and brought home very little unclean clothes.

The 1 bedroom was wonderful. The kids could watch movies while hubby and I read in the bedroom. Also lost of places for opposite sex children to change with privacy (which we didn't have in any of the studios). I also took advantage of the washer/dryer before our next stop.

BWV view was of the pool and it was great to have a pool view. I could also see the kids walking to/from the community room. Enjoyed the boardwalk for Disney shopping. We didn't actually go to any of the Disney parks but did go to downtown shopping. First time at Disney with our vehicle so we went to SeaWorld.

Vero Beach in one word "AWESOME"!!! Loved watching the sunrise, listening to the ocean while reading The Hunger Games drinking coffee. I could do this every day. Ocean was cold but the kids still went in with a body board riding the waves.

HH on the way back was just disappointing. We had asked for a pool view before checking out. When we checked back in the staff recognized us but not our request. We were hoping to be near the pool, use the hot tub and get breakie in the morning. They were only at 20% capacity and had everyone in the main building.

We have already booked an extra long week-end in May. Me, DD, her friend and my mom. Friend rides horses so we booked SS due to the equestrian theme. Land early in the morning on Thursday and fly out late afternoon on Sunday. Will hit DD's top 2 parks HS & AK and Epcot for Flower & Garden Festival. Friend's name is Daize so we booked breakfast at Tusker house to meet Daisy :rotfl2:.

We are hoping to get a week at Vero the last week of August... just waiting for the 7 month window.
:banana:

No! Keep the Boardwalk! Boardwalk is our home DVC resort and I love it! Its SO nice to be able to walk to and from EPCOT and DHS - especially at the end of the night, you dont have to walk back through to the front of the park and wait for a bus!
One nice thing about SSR is it's proximity to Downtown Disney. After Illuminations we exit through the international gateway and walk to the boardwalk for awhile then hop a bus to DTD where we can walk or boat back to the resort. It saves having to head to the front of the park with the crowd plus you get to visit the boardwalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!