How complicated is it at a non-host hotel?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
So... I had a reservation at POFQ for W&D, but due to flight prices I needed to add another night - which was not available at POFQ without changing rooms (no thank you), so I'm currently at Pop. Which is ok, but I'm really a mod girl at heart. There is availability at POR or CBR (also host resorts), but it would require additional money on the deposit - and with an Alaskan cruise coming up at the end of the month, I'm trying not to spend any extra. CSR also has rooms and would not require any additional money right now, but it's not a host resort.

How much are taxis usually for getting around - I could deal with round about to get to the Expo on Saturday, so I'd be looking at to the race (though that could also be handled in a round about way) and definitely back after the after-party. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just hold on and hope for discounts and/or the other mods not selling out before I could upgrade.

Taxis are not inexpensive. Uber is a much better option for getting around these days if you're not driving or using a Disney bus. If you're trying to cut down on your spending right now, I'd hold off and see if something more to your liking opens up.

Taxis are not inexpensive. Uber is a much better option for getting around these days if you're not driving or using a Disney bus. If you're trying to cut down on your spending right now, I'd hold off and see if something more to your liking opens up.

Thanks. I don't do Uber because of their swarm pricing or whatever they call it.

That's what I'm leaning towards - the holding off for now. I do have an AP, so I'm hoping they'll have some discount rates that will pick up after the "through October 3" ones they have now. I can live with Pop if I have to...I'd just rather not. (Sorry, I know that's not a popular view on here where people seem to be gaga over it.)

It's called "surge" pricing with Uber, and honestly - it only really happens when there is bad weather. You will get an alert from Uber before you commit to a "surge" fare.

Unlike cabs, Uber prices by the mile and not the minute. I've taken a $27 Uber from Hollywood to Santa Monica that was 2 hours in traffic.

Taxis in Orlando are the worst. They are almost all controlled by Mears and ones that take credit cards are hit-and-miss, especially when they can tell you are in a hurry and you're going to a popular area.

The last time I took a taxi (from the Swolphin, to a house roughly 3 miles away), it cost nearly $100 including tip. This was before Uber. It was miserable. Never again.

Also, at odd hours of the day/night, you're never guaranteed taxi availability.

Whatever it is called it is absurd.

I went ahead and just paid the $20.75 difference to go up to POR. Much better all the way around.

They are almost all controlled by Mears and ones that take credit cards are hit-and-miss, especially when they can tell you are in a hurry and you're going to a popular area.

I liked it when we swiped the card multiple times, it said it didn't charge. I ran inside our resort and found the ATM, got money out, paid him. A week later we were charged twice on the CC. I will say that it DID get taken off with minimal work from me. But it was annoying!

Whatever it is called it is absurd.

It's kind of standard, though, to increase rates at popular times? This weekend I looked at Vancouver BC hotels in case we wanted to run away on the 4th as we had done two years ago. Alas, Canada Day having just happened and possibly other Americans having the same feeling (and maybe other stuff?) combined to mean only 3 downtown hotels had availability and they were asking $500 plus for rooms.

I've only heard about surge pricing for concerts. And I remember reading that you can see the price ahead of time if you're looking...

But POR is great. That's where I stayed for TOT 2013. Kinda jealous of your W&D. It was miserable last year for me, and I hadn't trained enough at all, but with time comes a fuzziness of memory. :) And we skipped the after party (my friend saying "what part of this would be fun?" in response to the cold cold rain) so I feel like I still need an after-party. :)

It's kind of standard, though, to increase rates at popular times? This weekend I looked at Vancouver BC hotels in case we wanted to run away on the 4th as we had done two years ago. Alas, Canada Day having just happened and possibly other Americans having the same feeling (and maybe other stuff?) combined to mean only 3 downtown hotels had availability and they were asking $500 plus for rooms.

I've only heard about surge pricing for concerts. And I remember reading that you can see the price ahead of time if you're looking...

It's very common across all industries to charge more when demand is high. Hotels, airlines, and restaurants are just a few examples of businesses that charge more or less for their services depending on the demand for those services. Nothing wrong with that, and if you don't like the higher prices, you can always travel, eat, or stay at another time.

It's very common across all industries to charge more when demand is high. Hotels, airlines, and restaurants are just a few examples of businesses that charge more or less for their services depending on the demand for those services. Nothing wrong with that, and if you don't like the higher prices, you can always travel, eat, or stay at another time.

I am well aware that pricing fluctuates with demand in hotels and on airlines. I have never seen a restaurant jack up prices and then drop them (I don't count closing and offering one special night for NYE - stupidest I think that is, every day starts a new year if you want to get technical about it - in that category. But the car thing is new, and everything I have seen about it is that it is extreme.

You can also choose not to participate in their shenanigans and make your arrangements for a given time frame work within the parameters.

But POR is great. That's where I stayed for TOT 2013. Kinda jealous of your W&D. It was miserable last year for me, and I hadn't trained enough at all, but with time comes a fuzziness of memory. :) And we skipped the after party (my friend saying "what part of this would be fun?" in response to the cold cold rain) so I feel like I still need an after-party. :)

Thanks! I'm really just aiming to have fun. Running has not been all that fun for me since Goofy - I just can't get inspired to do it for training runs. I've been doing hot yoga and have started Taekwondo which I have fallen in love with a lot - running not so much. I've got the Alaskan Running Cruise, the Hartford Half, and W&D and beyond that no races at all - I figure I'll see how I'm feeling in the fall before I commit to any other runs. So yeah...it'll be all about fun. Which is even more reason to stay somewhere I more or less haven't (we did stay at POR over Thanksgiving many years ago (like before 2000), but we were in the Mansions and I hated it as I felt like I was trapped in my grandmother's house, so knowing it's been refurbed and I'll be in Alligator Bayou (preferred is only AB now) makes it new) - adventure is out there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter