how can my 81 year old father eat with us in the parks...

jamieluvsdis

Earning My Ears
my dad is treating my family to a trip to wdw next week. we are staying at WL. my dad really isn't interested in the parks and seems quite happy to be based at the hotel (go figure, lol). i made all our dining reservations months ago and all of a sudden it occurred to me that there are two dinners planned (as well as all the lunches, but that's another story) within the parks, EPCOT and MK. is there any kind of senior discount he can pay to get into the park just for the dinner reservations?? the thought of him spending hundreds of dollars for park passes seems absurd, but maybe that's the only way to go.

Having been to WDW numerous times since it opened, I know of no way to enter any park w/o a valid pass. But I also am aware I don't know everything so I'd wait for more responses.
I think your two options are to eat those meals w/o your father, which doesn't seem too pleasant with all the generosity he's shown or make reservations somewhere out of the parks where you could meet up.

Hang On Your dad bought the disney world trip. The least you could do is buy the park passes or switch to a place where he can eat. I am just wondering where are you eating !

Since your father must have a valid ticket to enter a park (and no, there are no senior discounts) these are the choices

1. Do nothing. Let him get his own meals on his own.

2. Buy him a ticket, and have someone go to the resort, help him into the park, and then help him back to the resort after the meal

3. Change the park meals to resort meals.

Which of these options would he enjoy most?

Since your father must have a valid ticket to enter a park (and no, there are no senior discounts) these are the choices

2. Buy him a ticket, and have someone go to the resort, help him into the park, and then help him back to the resort after the meal

I agree.

We will definitely treat him to the park pass, that's a great idea. I just didn't know if there were some special discounted way for a senior to get in for the evening.

I also agree that these are pretty much your options ... with a possible 4th one being that some of the group goes to the existing in-park ADR and some go eat with your father outside the park.

If you go with Option 2, I think the suggestion to have some accompany your father to / from the resort/ park is a great one.

Have you asked him what he wants to do?
He might want some quiet time away from all the young people and their tom-foolery. (That would be the sentiment of a few older gentlemen in my family.)

Or he may be assuming he will just be able to take a cab to the restaurant, not realizing that the parks have real restaurants.
How is his mobility? 81-year-olds run the spectrum of being wheelchair-bound to Dancing with the Stars. If he can move well, this may simply mean buying a ticket and helping him get there.
If he has any type of disability affecting his ability to navigate the parks and buses, you have a greater challenge.

I would also call Disney and see if something can be done.

I don't know much about Disney...I'm still learning...but if it's something your dad would like, I'd totally go with picking him up and getting him to the dinner. Maybe if your ADRs are timed right, he'd be able to catch the fireworks at the different areas also. Maybe you could get discounted park tickets somewhere. I think MouseSavers has a list of places. I hope I'm allowed to mention the site...I'm not linking to it tho. (sorry if that wasn't allowed...I'm never sure of the rule for that stuff). Also, is he maybe retired military?? Would he get some sort of discount for that? Like I said, I don't know much about Disney, but maybe he qualifies for something like that??? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Even if you have to pay full price for like 5 days of tickets...it's *only* $315....that's not much when you compare it to a week of Disney for a family. :) Have a great trip and I am sure your dad is going to have a great time as well. I know my dad's idea of vacation would be to find a nice, quiet place at a resort and relax. He would love to plant himself with a view of a waterway or a path and people watch, etc.

H
Have you asked him what he wants to do?
He might want some quiet time away from all the young people and their tom-foolery. (That would be the sentiment of a few older gentlemen in my family.)
Or he may be assuming he will just be able to take a cab to the restaurant, not realizing that the parks have real restaurants.
How is his mobility? 81-year-olds run the spectrum of being wheelchair-bound to Dancing with the Stars. If he can move well, this may simply mean buying a ticket and helping him get there.
If he has any type of disability affecting his ability to navigate the parks and buses, you have a greater challenge.

I would also call Disney and see if something can be done.

His mobility is still pretty good, but definitely not DWTS-worthy, lol!!
I think I'll just try to convince him to attempt a park or two while his dance moves are still fairly decent!
Thank you!

It would be lovely for you to purchase tickets for him so he can dine with you. That being said, aren't there other restaurants you would like to try that won't require a park ticket? I'd do lunches at the park restaurants you want to try, and dinners outside of the parks. ( I know my Mom would not want to battle the Disney crowds lol...she'd rather hang at the resort & have nice dinners outside of the parks.)

is there any kind of senior discount he can pay to get into the park just for the dinner reservations??

1) If he is a Florida Resident, he can buy a special discounted pass for Epcot, which allows entrance After-4:00pm, such as for dinners.
2) Otherwise, no.

Last edited:
I'd also rent him a scooter if he's some what limited in mobility. Depending on the park, it can be LOTS of walking (Epcot) that he may not be use to just to get to an ADR.
I second the lunch option if he wants to join you. Personally, the restaurants in the resorts (especially deluxe resorts) are much better than anything you can get in any of the parks. Plus if you go this route, it will give you a break from the parks. I find that this is needed more than you think.
There are also fun dinner show options (Hoop-dee Do Review anyone?) outside the parks which allow for a great family experience while having dinner.
I'd ask him before you spring on the park ticket as to what he'd like to do.
Sometimes just traveling to the resorts for dinner can be an adventure and the resorts themselves are fun to explore. Since you are at WL, I'd cancel my park options and do resort options. The transportation from Epcot, MK to those resort restaurants alone is fun and easy.

Yup!

No senior discounts. And he needs to have a ticket if he is going to enter a park, even if it is just for a meal.

If you'd like him to come to meals, you'll need to get him a ticket or arrange to include him at restaurants outside the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter