How can I do a magic visit for a small-town 10 year old and her mom?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by mortimeriwerks, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bytheblood

bytheblood DIS Veteran

Going to Disney itself is wonderful and magical. There is nothing you need to do to create that. As they have never been, it is sure to be overwhelming. Just go, have a great time and realize that you will not be able to do it all in the number of days you are going.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. xmansmom

xmansmom Mouseketeer

Yes, she is still a kid. She may not watch Disney, but she will still love character meals, rides, and everything in between. Get her an autograph book and make an ADR for a character meal. She may feel she is too old for princesses but no one is too old for the fab five and other classic characters. Since she loves animals you should go over to the AKL. My kids loved viewing the animals with their night vision goggles. Just being at WDW itself is magical. Have a great trip!

4. xmansmom

xmansmom Mouseketeer

Absolutely! Chuck E. Cheese's is where a kid can be a kid but Disney is where EVERYONE can be a kid.

5. MermaidMommy

MermaidMommy DIS Veteran

You've gotten a lot of good advice about park visits (and count me in as one who says not to miss Epcot). Downtown Disney is a fun choice for your first day, as PP has suggested. I agree that you should take a look at a good guide book and let the 10yr old decide which rides/parks look most interesting to her. Some small, inexpensive "magical" things you can do are:

Get "pixie dusted" for free at Bibbity Bobbity Boutique. (I have done this at BBB at Downtown Disney -- just ask at the check-in desk and they'll sprinkle pixie dust on her. Not sure if they do it at the castle in Magic Kingdom.)

Pick a pearl at Epcot (in Japan's department store) is only $15, and you can get inexpensive cage-type necklaces to put it in on the internet. (I got one for my DD for around $8, but they're much more expensive at WDW.)

Harmony Barber Shop in the Magic Kingdom will fix her hair -- ponytail or two ponytails only -- and put in what they call pixie dust, but is actually big chunks of multi-colored confetti and Mickey-heads. Quite the attention-getter and only $7. My DD11 loved this so much we did it twice.

There are some fun restaurants: Sci-Fi at Hollywood Studios has tables in old cars like at a drive-in and plays kitschy old sci-fi movies. 50's Prime Time at HS is like eating in a 50's kitchen with servers who act like family members and tell you to eat your veggies or keep your elbows off the table. Rainforest Cafe would be great for an animal lover, or there's also a T-Rex restaurant at Downtown Disney if she's a dinosaur fan.

Once you have an idea of which parks you plan on doing, post again and the DISers can help you put together touring plans. Also, talk to her about characters, in case you want to do any character meals. It sounds like you're trying hard to make sure she has a magical time, so I'm sure you'll be successful!