How busy IS Marathon Weekend?

Hi Michelle,

Not very...we did the marathon in 2004 and the parks were empty all weekend.

Bob

We've been two times during the marathon and there were virtually NO lines for any ride. It was great!!

We've been twice as well. Once for the 1/2 in 2003 and the full in 2005. The 2003 trip was pretty cold - sweatshirts and long pants. The 2005 trip was very warm - t-shirt and shorts. The only predictable thing was the crowds - pretty tame. Never waited long for a ride at all. Walked onto Tower of Terror each time with little or not wait. It is a favorite time of year for us to go - marathon or not.

from what I understand the craziest part of the day is the traffic. We leave that day so we really want to make the most of it. We've got adr's for 'ohana breakfast for around 10, but now I'm wondering if we should go earlier and be able to enjoy the parks more. I guess the tricky part is managing checkout and getting to the restaurant on time.

solferina: Just a head's up--there are actually two days of marathon and 1/2 marathon that day. Saturday is the 1/2 marathon; Sunday is the marathon. If you are going to Ohana on Saturday, I wouldn't make it any earlier than the 10 that you have, because traffic may be difficult around MK earlier.

NCRedding said:
solferina: Just a head's up--there are actually two days of marathon and 1/2 marathon that day. Saturday is the 1/2 marathon; Sunday is the marathon. If you are going to Ohana on Saturday, I wouldn't make it any earlier than the 10 that you have, because traffic may be difficult around MK earlier.

Oh yes, I know about the half marathon. DH was so wishy washy about doing it that it got filled up, then I had to listen to him whine about not being able to do it. Um, just sign up instead of waffling over it, LOL.

Yeah, we'll probably stick with what we have (it's Sunday, for DD's bday) and we'll take the monorail to the MK afterwards. Epcot will be out of the quesiton on SUnday since that's the start and finish IIRC.

The parks aren't busy at all---the marathoners can barely walk after the races. ;)

Ok, sorry snowwhitesmom, I am stealing your thread. :smooth:

We are going Jan 4th to 11, maybe we will see you there (I have a snow white too.)

What would you say would be the best park to go to on those days? MK? Avoid Epcot, park hop? Start at MK and then hop over to Epoct via monorail? Avoid parks and do the pool, DTD or Water park that day?

Trying to think of the traffic and coming from SSR.

Thanks everyone (sorry snowwhitesmom, but hopefully this can help you too.)

We were at Disney for the 2004 Marathon, Jan 11 was a sunday, my dd's bday and the day of the marathon, we left BWV at about 7:30 got to TTC early enough to get the front car on the monorail and also be at the gates of MK for the opening festivities. The marathoners(Is that a word?) were coming back thru the castle and leaving as we were walking in, Crowds were NON existent and it was a GREAT week to be there.

Have fune

No need to apologize for using this thread - I share well with others!! [Isn't that what the DIS is all about? :goodvibes ]

My DW ad I go every year for the marathon. It is not busy and we have a wonderful time. By the way, my DW and her sister are doing the "Goofy weekend". That means they are running the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday. They get a special Goofy medal for running them both in addition to the Mickey for the full and the Donald for the half. Should be fun. :cool1:

It won't be like the past years because the race is split into two days - which means the potential of double the runners = 40,000 runners. Also, many districts in the south are out of school until Jan 9th. That makes a great combo vacation of race and parks. Last year we went for the race, long weekend style. Now we are going for the full family style, entire week before the race. I am hoping it will be quiet, but I'm not counting on it.

ps Saturday is Half and Family Races. All starts and finishes at EPCOT. May have some parking issues at EPCOT in the morning but I wouldn't think that other than the travel issues early in the morning it will be too bad. Sunday will have more issues since the race is longer and affects all four parks, but I still don't think MK will have any problems since it is the first park they visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter