How big of a ham for 8 people?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
I'm hosting Christmas this year and was thinking that a ham is both easy and tastey. But I'm not sure how big of a ham I need? I don't want a ton of leftovers but at the same time, I want to make sure everyone gets enough too.

If that is the only protein and/or you are NOT having a lot of side dishes - allow 8oz per person. So a 4-5lb ham (a little more because of the bone) will be plenty for 8 folks. (if you want leftovers, add a pound or two) If you are having more than one protein and/or several side dishes, drop the portion size down to 4oz per person. This rule of thumb works for for all meats as well. Have fun!

I never know how to guess, so I just go the the honey baked ham company & tell them how many I am having and I have never been disappointed, always the right amount & some left overs.

Well, if it was my family I'd be buying a 8lb ham. I'm of the mind that if you're going to cook one you might as well cook a big one! This way there's enough for sandwiches later on, and someone is always dropping in the next day or over the weekend. You can always freeze some leftovers and use the bone for soup.

I always buy the largest spiral sliced ham Costco has. Usually about 8 lbs. Plenty for all, sandwiches the next day on their great potatoe buns and enough for soup or scalloped potatoes! I spend about $19 (last few years, I havent priced them lately). Yum can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter