How are the pools a break?

familyfirsttimer

Not my 1st time anymore! I'm hooked for life!!!!
Aren't the resort pools all in the sun? So, sorry if this sounds silly, but how are you taking a break from the Fl sun by going to the resort pool? Is it just being in the water will cool your body temp enough to cool you down? Just wondering what everyone usually does, we are going at the dend of this month (WOW!) and I know we need to plan breaks because of the weather.

TIA!

familyfirsttimer said:
Aren't the resort pools all in the sun? So, sorry if this sounds silly, but how are you taking a break from the Fl sun by going to the resort pool? Is it just being in the water will cool your body temp enough to cool you down? Just wondering what everyone usually does, we are going at the dend of this month (WOW!) and I know we need to plan breaks because of the weather.

TIA!

It is a NECESSITY to schedule in your resort breaks!!! :sunny: Yes, the pools are in the sun but today in the middle of this 110 deg. heat wave as soon as I hit my pool I feel fantastic!!! :banana: Same goes for WDW but even MORE so!! That heat will suck the life out of you within about 3hrs!!! We ALWAYS plan our days like:

Theme Park (9am-12pm)
Resort break (1-4)
Early Dinner (5pm if possible)
Theme Park (6:30-?)

I know for a 'first timer' you may think that this is not going to be enough time to see and do everything you would like but you'd be surprised how much you CAN get done! :thumbsup2

Take it from those of us who know...we can't ALL be wrong :confused3
It's soooo easy to pick the groups/families who DO NOT heed this advice because you'll see them in a park around 7pm have TOTAL MELTDOWNS!! :furious:

Feel free to ask ANY questions on the DIS....nothing sounds 'silly'!!! :)

It's not just the cool down, it's the relaxation--getting away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and jsut sitting and relaxing for a bit.

Anne

Pool time is "park- down" time. I suggest you actually get into the pool, kick around and stretch your muscles. Then you'll have to dry off and replace your morning sweaty clothes with a new set. You won't believe how much better you'll feel when you head back for your evening at the parks. To feel even better, add an hour nap!

Enjoy!

ducklite said:
It's not just the cool down, it's the relaxation--getting away from the hustle and bustle of the parks and jsut sitting and relaxing for a bit.

Anne

That's pretty much what I was going to say. No waiting in lines, no fighting the crowds, etc.

And, not all of the pools are in the sun.. I know at Stomalong Bay (Beach Club) there are some spots that are shady. Plus the water is just so REFRESHING!! And like someone else said, it feels good to swim around and stretch..

LBelle said:
It is a NECESSITY to schedule in your resort breaks!!! :sunny: Yes, the pools are in the sun but today in the middle of this 110 deg. heat wave as soon as I hit my pool I feel fantastic!!! :banana: Same goes for WDW but even MORE so!! That heat will suck the life out of you within about 3hrs!!! We ALWAYS plan our days like:

Theme Park (9am-12pm)
Resort break (1-4)

This is exactly how we do it and we don't even have any kids with us. It's the only plan that seems to work with all of this heat!

LBelle said:

Theme Park (9am-12pm)
Resort break (1-4)

I know for a 'first timer' you may think that this is not going to be enough time to see and do everything you would like but you'd be surprised how much you CAN get done! :thumbsup2

Take it from those of us who know...we can't ALL be wrong :confused3
It's soooo easy to pick the groups/families who DO NOT heed this advice because you'll see them in a park around 7pm have TOTAL MELTDOWNS!! :furious:

Feel free to ask ANY questions on the DIS....nothing sounds 'silly'!!! :)

Ditto for us! We get to the parks when they open, stay for a few hours and then hit the pool. We are then refreshed and ready to have dinner and do either a park, PI, BW or DTD at night. :)

3.gif

JustKryssi said:
This is exactly how we do it and we don't even have any kids with us. It's the only plan that seems to work with all of this heat!

I don't think we could handle any other type of schedule...you really do NEED to just remove yourself from the madness, even for a short time!!

LOVE the 'ears' in your photo and you are now 'that girl' I hate because of ALL YOUR TRIPS TO WDW....all THIS YEAR!! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

LWcalif said:
Ditto for us! We get to the parks when they open, stay for a few hours and then hit the pool. We are then refreshed and ready to have dinner and do either a park, PI, BW or DTD at night. :)

It's amazing the difference in how you feel, isn't it??!! I mean, just to even change your clothes, shoes, etc......you really DO feel like a new person! :)

We do it so the kids will have a little break. They love going to the swimming pools and it will help tire them out.

While my family all went to the pool, I'm not a water-puppy so I always just took a nap in the A/C. I would have put 2 years olds to shame with my whining if I didn't have my nap! :lmao: yes, that break IS neccessary, and the family says "who cares if it is in the sun, the pool still feels good".

Yes the heat drains me but the pool water gives us back our energy and somtimes a quick nap. We hit the parks early when crowds are low take a break in the hot middle day and head back to close the parks. WE DON'T SLEEP MUCH AT DISNEY:jumping2: :jumping2: :jumping2: :jumping2: :jumping2: :jumping2: :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

We usually go to WDW in the Summer, Easter, and springbreak times when it is warmer weather, but mostly in the summers. I did not realize how much the heat sapped my energy until our trip this past January when it was f-f-f-frrrreeeeeezzzzing! I had on my Micckey hat, scarf and mittens. In the morning and night we could see our breath! But guess what? We were still in the parks at 3 PM. Usually in the summers, we are leaving by noon because we are exhausted. So that afternoon break in the heavy heat of summer is very important to get your second wind for the evening. Enjoy the pool. We also find riding the Sea Raycers to be energizing with a jump in the pool afterwards.

On extended trips (10 days+++) we only do half days at the parks

(ie) 9am- 2pm-ish at the park
the rest of the time at the resort

or

all morning/afternoon at the resort
late afternoon/evening at a park.

Sometimes people forget to have a holiday - during their holiday.

Cass said:
On extended trips (10 days+++) we only do half days at the parks

(ie) 9am- 2pm-ish at the park
the rest of the time at the resort

or

all morning/afternoon at the resort
late afternoon/evening at a park.

Sometimes people forget to have a holiday - during their holiday.

This is the way to go in my opinion. Past trip was 8 days in the parks and we tried to see everything we could so made for some long days. DW and DD6 took afternoon breaks everyday except 2. We decided the only way to see everything we wanted and still relax during the summer is to go 12 days with a day on either side to travel. This way we could spend a lot of time by the pool which the kids love almost as much as the parks.

When it was just me, dh and ds2.5 we would return for a quick dip and an afternoon nap. It was wonderful. We then would have dinner and be able to stay in any park for late night Wishes, Illuminations, etc.

When we returned w/ ds4 and dd1 we quickly discovered returning to the room didn't work. :rotfl2: They would keep each other up! Swimming in the pool only ensured they would be more tired and fall asleep enroute back to the parks not wanting to wake up for dinner or anything. Everyone was frustrated! After 2 days of this we stopped returning to the resort. dd would easily nap in the stroller and dh or I would take ds on some rides. Ds was old enough (enough adrenaline :confused3 ) to make it through the day. THE KEY, was not touring a park every day!!! We built in a rest day after every 2 days in the park. We'd sleep in, swim, maybe pin trade at some resorts or do DTD. (so it wasn't total "rest" but time away from the parks)

We went twice last year w/ kids 6 and 3....no returning to the room, but taking a day off after 2 days of touring. (we were there for 8 full days). It worked wonderfully. No cranky kids....dd still napped in stroller on some days, others she didn't but everyone stayed happy. We'd swim at the resort quickly before bedtime and everyone would fall right to sleep. :love: I hope we have a repeat this October!!!

I never thought of it that way before. They are mostly in the sun. Some have shady spots/spots to duck out of the sun. But mostly it's just the water feeling cool on your. Resort breaks are more for getting off your feet and just relaxing in the cool water and /or naps. :)

Other great ways I've used to beat the heat :
I've found the best way to keep cool in the sun are to drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. Nothing tops this.

Get into a building. The stores are a great escape from the heat and sun.

Cool stations in the parks where you can stand under a cool mist.

Indoor shows like Philharmagic and Muppet Vision. They will get you out of the sun for 15-20 minutes or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter