How are points counted? And Other ?s

carolina_yankee

DIS Veteran
I've about decided to take the DVC plunge late this year and I've spent all day pouring over information. I may have already overlooked the answer for this, but how are the points calculated - per day, or per night? The DVC Point Calculator seems to imply by day.

In other words (using round numbers), if I check into a resort for 4 nights/5 days at a cost of 20 points; would it cost me 80 points (20 per night) or 100 points (20 per day).

Also, I tend to travel in summer or January. Would I ever have difficulty staying at BWV or BCV in that time frame using the 7 month reservation window?

Thanks!
Dirk

it's just like you are paying money to stay in a hotel. You pay for the nights you sleep there basically. You do not pay for the day you check out.

As to the 7 month window right now if you call exactly 7 months out you can usually get in at other resorts. This is not to say this won't change in the future or be more difficult at certain times.

I would buy where you want to stay.

It's per night, you would not count your checkout day. The points are counted separate for each night if you cross different seasons. For example, January 31 is adventure season, February 1 is choice season. It's not like regular disney hotels where you keep the same rate as your check-in day. So if you were staying at SSR in a 1 bedroom, Jan 31 would be 20 points, Feb 1 would be 22 points.

Thanks for the replies - that's what I thought the answer was, but I wanted to be sure.

It sound like I should try to get BCV or BWV on resale to be certain I can get where I would like to be. However, the re-sale prices on HH and Vero Beach look quite enticing, so I was hoping that the 7 mos window wouldn't be too chancy.

Dirk

Believe it or not, maintenance fees will cost you FAR more than your initial investment. VB has the highest main. fees. Over 38 yrs., VB would end up being MORE expensive than BWV or BCV., plus...as DVC adds more rooms and more resorts, these two properties will surely become harder and harder to get into. Let's face it...no other resort could be closer to two parks than these!! Do the "long-term math" before you buy...this should help you in your decision process!!

Good luck,

:wave:

Beca

I didn't take into account the maintenance fee difference - you're right! We would definatley use Vero Beach or Hilton Head, but I don't want to have to fight to get into the Epcot area villas. I'm not impressed with SSR and OKW is nice, but I'm not sure I'd like staying that far from the parks.

Dirk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter