How about a TS Restraunt in American Adventure that actualy represents U.S. foods

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by stoudt6, Jan 26, 2013.

1. JimmyV

JimmyV Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I've been pushing this idea for years. Forget about trying to figure out what "real" American cuisine is. We are the melting pot. We get that. But it would be easy to design a restaurant that captures a concept that is indeed uniquely American.....road food. I would love to see an Airstream diner style casual TS place or a Route 66 style restaurant. I would call it "Stern's" in honor of the husband and wife authorities who literally wrote the book(s) on American regional cuisine. The menu could include hot dogs, hamburgers, pastrami, fried chicken and lots of other stuff that one would find on the Mother Road whether or not those foods have their origin from other countries.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Getting back to the original topic, no there really isn't room to add a new TS at the American Pavilion.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=epco...q=epcot&cid=0,0,16871700692605441981&t=h&z=18

They couldn't take out the CS since for a certain number of guests its the only food they would eat anywhere in the WS outside maybe the Fish and Chips. They want regular food. :goodvibes

Also if you look at all the other TS menus at WDW they are not very extensive. Most only seem to have at most 10 entrees. Not sure how you can do a fair representation of everything the US has to offer in ten dishes.

4. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I thought it meant cooking over green sticks. Also from Alton Brown, which is actually not BBQ but grilling. :thumbsup2

Which is where we get buccaneer.

(Wikipedia but AB also brought it up)

5. SolitaryPhoenix

SolitaryPhoenix Mouseketeer

I LOVE these ideas! :yay: They would have to do a huge remodel to put a TS in, but the current CS could surely be adapted somewhat easily to serve a broader selection of American food. While I love The American Adventure and Spirit of America, most of the other pavilions have much better dining offerings than ours does. Pretty sad... :confused3

6. Dizzytime

Dizzytime DIS Veteran

I also wish it was set up differently. As you walk through WS, the lack of dinning in America seems to be 'conspicuous by it's absence', at least in comparison. Besides the kiosk, what they offer almost seems not only lacking but also hidden.... but I realize there are a lot of things involved.

Nice post and great question stoudt6!

:goodvibes

7. desamnik

desamnik Mouseketeer

How about fried clams from Mass/Maine!! I think those are truly an american food!!

8. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I somehow think its also by design. Its Disney saying "Why don't you try something new."

9. Goldilocks07

Goldilocks07 DIS Veteran

I live in NYC, and I can assure you, almost all (I think Wolfgang's is supposed to be good?) PIZZA at WDW is NOT good representation of what it should be. :scared1:

I mean, gross.

Asking WDW to create a restaurant to show off TRUE flavors of this country, would be a FABULOUS idea. Yum. Hush puppies, crab cakes (I also lived in MD for many years), po'boys, deep fried oreos, bbq...omg yum.

10. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

How big of a menu do think it would take?

It would make the Cheese Factory's menu look like a small pamphlet.

11. JimmyV

Exactly. Which is why the better approach would be to focus on the style of restaurant instead of trying to appease every niche culinary idiosyncrasy.

12. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Not sure what this style would be. A diner, a food truck? :confused3

13. Goldilocks07

Goldilocks07 DIS Veteran

First off, for some reason I find these replies so funny and fully entertaining (and interesting).

Secondly, NO ONE here is from America except the Indians. Duh, we all came by boat, airplane, donkeys, wagons, moose, rollerblades, and by foot. LOL. We are one big mix of cool people.

This would mean that though most of the foods we consider our own (hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc, etc) were brought over by our ancestors from abroad- BUT, it took generations to 'perfect' and/or 'change' the recipes by adding local ingredients to make it taste as we know it today.

Thirdly, I don't think the menu should be enormous- quite the opposite. I'd love to see a condensed menu that showcases the best of the best.
    OR, here's an idea, why not have one food/menu-item for every state? (Maryland = crab cakes) :dance3:
    50 items INCLUDING desserts would be awesome. :yay::yay::yay:
    (laughing at myself....50 items is definitely NOT condensed. But I still think it's a great idea.)

PS, just wolfed down sick NYC Chinese food delivery that I'm sure people from China would bawk at. YUMMMMM

14. Goldilocks07

Goldilocks07 DIS Veteran

Yes, yes, YES!!!
    Food Trucks!!! All over!!

15. JimmyV

See my earlier post (#21) for my concept.

16. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Common sense is so rare, should be a Super Power.

I always thought a buccaneer was a high price for corn.

17. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Yea but for Pennsylvania it would be
    .... ..... wait for it .............

well you really don't need to because it would be surprise Philly Cheese Steaks :snooty: not the great Primanti Brothers sandwich with fries and slaw ON THE SANDWICH.

[​IMG]

18. M-I-C-K-E-Y

M-I-C-K-E-Y DIS Veteran

We could debate this for months - let's end it right now:

EPCOT'S ALL-AMERICAN BREAKAST, MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT!

Bring on the pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, sausage gravy, biscuits... Sure, some of you are already itching to nitpic ("waffles are from Belgium, gravy is from Blah-Blah-Blah).

Regardless, breakast for dinner at Epcot? Sign us up! :thumbsup2

19. jerseygirl81

jerseygirl81 DIS Veteran

I'd like to see Disney make the counter service restaurant into a sit down for dinner like Be Our Guest. Disney restaurants tend to offer only a handful of choices on their menus. Linda :)

20. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Then where would people looking for "regular" CS food go for dinner?

21. Srbright

Srbright Mouseketeer

Is it possible because WDW is IN America, therefore de facto "not absent"?

Stacy