How a September trip for 2 became a December trip for 10... AKA: YIKES!!!!!! - PTR

KGH

Mouseketeer
Chapter 1. How a September Trip for 2became a December trip for 10. :)
Well, folks. This is my first attempt at a “pre-trip report.” I will own up to the TR I attempted to write last October. I very diligently related the first day and a half of the trip, before getting distracted and forgetting about it. It's like when you were nine, and your parents got you that hamster you begged and begged for, and three weeks later poor Nibbles had to get buried in the back yard 'cause you forgot about how hamsters like to eat... (note: I promise, I never owned a hamster. And I don't have children. I do own a cat, but I am not solely responsible for it's care. Please don't call Animal Control on me.) However, you fine people deserve better than this. I can be better. I WILL be better. :cool2:

Now. Let's get down to business, my humble tale... :scared:

Originally, this trip was planned as a “bounceback.” DBF and I enjoyed a wonderful trip last October. We planned on six days in September, returning to POP Century. After some planning and number crunching, I convinced DBF that we NEEDED to add a few days, to catch Food & Wine in EPCOT. He ultimately caved to my incessant whining. :rolleyes:(He's good like that!)

Well, DBF got new job, so September was looking pretty bad for us. We changed our dates to October, and settled on the 2nd through the 12th, still at the POP. We liked POP, all was good. However, being the constant scheme-machine I am, I devised a way of convincing my DBF that we should upgrade to Port Orleans- French Quarter. :lovestruc I had stayed there once when I was a teenager. LOVED it, and always dreamed of going back. My argument was that, if we were adding extra days, we should pony up the cash for a nicer resort so as to encourage more “resort/pool time.” I am pretty sure DBF knew enough to call shenanigans on this plot. He knows I am hard pressed to waste precious Disney time with silly things like swimming, sleeping, and “relaxing,” but by know he knows that it really best to pick his battles.

So the plan was, after a lot of shuffling, set in stone. :-)rotfl:) Myself and DBF, 9 nights/10 days at POFQ in mid-October.

BUT, WAIT. A PIN code for Free Dining? FOR ME?!?! :yay::yay::yay:

Well, the PIN was all the encouragement we (read: I) needed. Our trip was moved for the FINAL time, from Oct. 2nd - 12th to December 12 – 21!

SO, a little recap in case anyone had followed thus far:

CAST:
Myself (22)- Finishing my degree, living the dream. I also work full time in Global IT & Education Services. I participated in the WDW College Program a few years back, and have been a Disney Addict for ever. My parents couldn't afford tot ake us as kids, so my first chance to go came at the age of 14, when I danced in MK as a part of Magic Music Days. Since that trip, I have spent an inordinate amount of time coming up with ways to get back there!
DBF (23)- He works for MLB. He is NOT a Disney addict, but he “tolerates” the magic. Ridiculous, right? While he claims to “not get it,” he supports my love of Disney. In fact, this will be our third trip in 2 years of dating. And while he complains sometimes about my affair with the Mouse, I'm pretty sure I've seen him get misty-eyed during Wishes once or twice. ;)

DATES:
December 17th – December 21st. It is POSSIBLE we will add one more night and stick around till the 22nd, but that remains to be seen. :)

ACCOMODATIONS:

Port Orleans – French Quarter; Standard Room. We also have 10 day park hoppers (I'm thinking about upgrading mine to an Annual Pass).

NOW, you should stick around for the next installement, and hear about how this romantic holiday trip for two became a Grand Gathering for 10 grinches. :) :) :)

Well, look at me! I'm FIRST!!!! That has never happened before!

I am always happy to read PTRs and TRs. I have never done one, because I too, am afraid no one would read it. Even though I have made many virtual DIS friends over the last year, I just don't know what I would say.

So have no fear, I am here!! And I might just pressure you to keep it up. It will be a great way to pass the next few months.

We are going 12/6 - 10 before a three day cruise. Staying at BLT with military discounts. Can't wait to see all the Christmas stuff. Your trip plan sounds so great! I've never stayed more than 6 nights. Someday...
Can't wait to hear more.

I've been tossing back and forth the idea of starting a PTR for our upcoming Dec 6-11 trip, but I too am a big chicken :rotfl:

I have to ask, as a fellow "Early Pin Recipient," are you a little jaded about them now offering the free dining as a general public discount (rumor it is due to be launched Monday). I was hoping to enjoy some "quiet" by Disney definition and now I am a bit worried about my ADR's and just people capacity... or should I just "SHUT UP AND BE GRATEFUL YOUR GOING AT ALL!"

--- sorry, vent over... just wanted a fellow pin code opinion ---

Looking forward to following along :)

Three people!? I was convinced I'd be rambling to myself over here for weeks! I'm so excited to have you guys here! :)

Well, look at me! I'm FIRST!!!! That has never happened before!

I am always happy to read PTRs and TRs. I have never done one, because I too, am afraid no one would read it. Even though I have made many virtual DIS friends over the last year, I just don't know what I would say.

So have no fear, I am here!! And I might just pressure you to keep it up. It will be a great way to pass the next few months.

We are going 12/6 - 10 before a three day cruise. Staying at BLT with military discounts. Can't wait to see all the Christmas stuff. Your trip plan sounds so great! I've never stayed more than 6 nights. Someday...
Can't wait to hear more.

Hi there, #1! I'll trade you my ten days for your cruise... that is something I've always wanted to do! :) And it is funny, this trip was supposedto be 6 days, but my boyfriend is quite the pushover. :thumbsup2

I've been tossing back and forth the idea of starting a PTR for our upcoming Dec 6-11 trip, but I too am a big chicken :rotfl:

I have to ask, as a fellow "Early Pin Recipient," are you a little jaded about them now offering the free dining as a general public discount (rumor it is due to be launched Monday). I was hoping to enjoy some "quiet" by Disney definition and now I am a bit worried about my ADR's and just people capacity... or should I just "SHUT UP AND BE GRATEFUL YOUR GOING AT ALL!"

--- sorry, vent over... just wanted a fellow pin code opinion ---

Looking forward to following along :)

OH OH, start a PTR! I'll follow along! :) Thanks for hopping in on mine! And about the pin code... ya know, I was thinkin about it. The mature, socially responsible part of me thinks "Oh, wonderful! Hopefully if they offer it families who wouldnt otherwise be able to afford it will get to go!" There is, however, a small part of me that thinks "NOOOOOO... public free dining means more people trying to get my O'hana ADR for a party of 10." :scared1:

I'm not too worried about crowds. I was there for December 21st-23rd of 2007, and I remember being packed like a sardine. So, atleast for the last few days of the trip, i don't anticipate it being much WORSE than that. I'm thinking crowds will be fairly manageable for the beginning... I'm sort of taking the approach that, if they are offering this code, it's because they are hurting for bookings. So, hopefully this code helps them to get up to par, but doesnt bring in so many people that all of december feels like Christmas Day crowd-wise... KWIM?

Of course, check back with me once I hit 90 days, and can't get any of my ADRs. :rotfl: My opinion may have changed!

10 grinches? I can't wait to hear more!!!

Haha, well so far no one has reached GRINCH status, but knowing my family, the title will be doled out, probably many times. :) Thanks for joining in!!! :)

Chapter 2. - Oh, you guys are going to Disney? Let's all go!

So, last chapter, I told you about the miraculous Free Dining code. :thumbsup2

Well, a few days later, DBF and I ventured to my parents house. I generally mention whatever Disney trip we happen to be planning. I'll throw in here, just to paint you all a really clear picture... my family is about as disinterested in Walt Disney World as possible. They are generally a fun, excitable bunch. However, when it comes to all things disney, they suddenly turn into disinterested goons with the collective personality of a bagel.:rolleyes1 We never went in my childhood because it was just too expensive for a family of 7. Apparently, I'm the only one who ever minded, as I am the only one who plans annual trips now that I'm a big kid (adult? Not really. Adults aren't supposed to take naps and eat Golden Grahams for dinner...) Most people of my age who are in college devote their paychecks to 30 racks. I prefer spend it on Dole Whips and, ok, I'll admit... Frozen Margeritas from the Mexico Pavilion! :p

But in any case, I mentioned to my Mom that the DBFster and I were switching it up and going in December. I almost fell out of my chair when, instead of the typical cursory “oh. Fun.”, she responded with “You know, I'd like to go to Disney for Christmas.”

:scared1:

WHAT? My mother does NOT like Disney. Try as I might, she just doesn't “get” it. For her vacation dollar, she'd much rather be sitting on a beach with a cold drink and a good book. She's been to Disney twice. Once, when I was 14 and performing in Magic Music Days. The second time, she visited my during my College Program. On neither trip was she moved to tears at the sight of Cinderella's Castle, nor did she throw herself on the ground outside Magic Kingdom, refusing to end her stay. She generally thinks of Disney as being too hot, too crowded, and too expensive. My father, as with most things, agrees.

I know, I know. And I share DNA with these people... :confused3

But for whatever reason, maybe a senior moment, who knows... my mother wanted to go back to Disney. OK, fine by me.

They decide that they'll come up on the 17th, six days after myself and DBF. They also decide that they'll be bringing my younger brother, the 18 year old free-loader, and one of my sisters, who is NOT free-loading at all, but happened to be in the room when the trip was discussed and consequently became a part of this trip.

SO, now we have 6. Quick recap for those keeping score at home: Our cast as evolved to include:
1.Myelf. (22; the planner of all things Disney.)
2.DBF (23; dutifully obliges my love of WDW.)
3.Mother
4.Father
5.Little Bro (18; Free loader. )
6.Big Sis (#1) ( 25; Lucky bystander.)

At this point, I get the fine idea to expand the invite to the rest of my siblings. :scratchin There are 5 (mostly grown) kids in my family, 3 of which are already in on the action.

My next mission was to get my Older brother and his wife on board. My older brother was married last year, and they had their honeymoon at Grand Floridian. I helped plan for them by booking their ADRs and giving them some suggestions, and they LOVED their trip. I knew I could get them to agree to this trip if I played my cards right. I went for SIL rather than Big Bro, and she wasn't hard to convince. They wanted to do it, but needed to be sure they could afford it. After some number crunching, they decided they were in. :) :) :)

So that's 8 down. 2 to go.

My 2nd Older Sister, 27, and her boyfriend. Now, I knew for sure my sister would WANT to go, but I wasn't sure if she would be keen on the cost. Also, her boyfriend was going to be a hard sell. He, for whatever reason, hates Disney. Yup, there. I said it. HE HATES DISNEY.:sad2: In fact, for the first few days, it was looking like they weren't going to be joining us. Well, apparently they came to a compromise. They are willing to go, but they want to stay offsite, and don't intend to spend everyday in the park. Fine by me...

SO, THERE YOU HAVE IT. What began as a six day trip for 2, somehow became 10 of us STORMING the WORLD. :)

But the VERY BEST part?!?! That lovely free dining PIN code I got can be used for up to three rooms. After some research, I found out that the check in/ check out dates do not have to be the same for all three rooms. So, we have free dining for myself and DBF for 10 days, AND for Mom, Dad, LilBro and BigSis#1, AND for BigBro and SIL, all of whom will only be there from the 17th to the 22nd. (!!!!!!!!!) That's 10 people and a total of 20 days (all together) of free dining. That's like 100 meals, on the Mouse. MAN, that's exciting. Every time I think about it I get a warm, fuzzy feeling. Man, I love Disney. :)

SO, the RECAP:

We have become a party of 10, with three rooms booked at PO-FQ for varying dates between Dec. 12-22. I'm the cruise director of this trip, and as such I have been responsible for booking rooms, which I am happy to do.

Next up, I'll be starting to chisel out an itinerary. How exactly does one plan a trip for 10, with varying ages, attention spans, interest levels???And just so you people can all see exactly what I am dealing with here, I was on the phone with my older sister, trying to explain to her the difference between Park Hoppers and base passes. She said to me “So, with a base pass, I can go to EPCOT one day and than Disney World the next day?” :::head-desk:::: “Uhhh... EPCOT is part of Disney World, there are 4 parks. Do you mean the Magic Kingdom?” “Oh, yeah. The one with the castle.....” I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like leading a pack of blind donkeys to the top of the Chrysler building.
:)

I'll be sharing the parks with you a few days (11-18) and want to steal ideas from you on the planning. Well, I know a few things- I've been 14 times plus 4 to the original. But new ideas are always good. I wrote a trippie after our Sept 07 trip, the hardest and most rewarding writiing I've ever done. Already mulling ADRs. Must do is HDDR. Didn't get to last trip, so gotta this time.

Loved the update! Still teetering to start my own... I am a funny person, but have a fear of rejection... and neglect LOL! Kudos to you for your strength!!!:yay:

I'll be sharing the parks with you a few days (11-18) and want to steal ideas from you on the planning. Well, I know a few things- I've been 14 times plus 4 to the original. But new ideas are always good. I wrote a trippie after our Sept 07 trip, the hardest and most rewarding writiing I've ever done. Already mulling ADRs. Must do is HDDR. Didn't get to last trip, so gotta this time.

Hey there! I'm just itching for the park hours to be released so I can really get going and plan this trip out! HDDR seems great, I've heard alot of good things. I know we're going to try for one night where all 10 of us can eat together... I was thinking O'hana for this night, but maybe I'll look closer at HDDR. I think that one would be amazing with a big group!!!

Loved the update! Still teetering to start my own... I am a funny person, but have a fear of rejection... and neglect LOL! Kudos to you for your strength!!!:yay:

DO ONE! I hear you though, I wasn't going to.... I also fear rejection, and unfortunately I don't really have "funny" going for me... I decided to go for it though, mostly because the odds of having my whole family with me at WDW occuring ever again are pretty slim to none. In fact, I am still waiting to get the phone call from SOMEONE saying "Oh hey, we just remembered we don't really like Disney. Why don't you go ahead an cancel us." :scared:

But anyway, I figure this is going to be a trip to remember, so I might as well keep a written record out there somewhere. :)

My next update is coming soon, and includes a BIG CHRISTMAS SUPRISE for all 10 memebers fo my travel party. :) :) :) :santa:

Chapter 3. The BIG SUPRISE!

Well, I was excited to have my group be designated as a “Grand Gathering.” I was also excited to be eligible to participate in the special “Grand Gathering” activities. The more I looked at the packages that were offered, though, the less thrilled I was. Especially because most members of my party would have only 4 TS meal credits, it seemed silly to blow two of them on these events... Keep in mind, we are not into characters, so to us it didn't seem worth it. :rolleyes:

Well, I started to look into the Wishes Premium Cruise package. For about $320, we can get a private boat to take all ten of us out to watch Wishes, with snacks and drinks, and with the music piped in. I have been DYING to do something like this, so when this trip started to turn into a family-palooza, I thought that it would be a nice Christmas gift to book this for everyone as a surprise. :yay:

I mentioned this to my mother, because she'd know if this is something everyone would enjoy, and not only did she think it was a good idea... she STOLE it from me! :rotfl:She insisted that she pay for it, as her Christmas gift to us. It was kind of strange that she insisted she pay for it, but she seemed really enthusiastic, so I guess I'll come up with something else, and she can have my big idea. :confused3

Either way, I think it will be SO fun, I really hope booking it is easy, and we are able to make this happen! :thumbsup2

Actually... I'm trying to remember if, towards Christmas, they stop doing regular Wishes and do just Holiday Wishes. I'll be a LITTLE bummed, only because I have a huge thing for regular Wishes... but I think it will be a blast either way. I'll have to do some more research.

Well, off to scour the disboards for more information. :)

Well, off to scour the disboards for more information. :)

Based on scouring on my end in days past... the Wishes show is replaced by Hoilday Wishes starting Dec 18. You may have to look in to the cruise being offered on nights that MVMCP is going on as that too may interfere... :scared:

Count me in over here!! I am excited for you to have a PTR!! I too, have considered doing one,but....eeeeeeehhhhh!!! I don't know!! Once I got started I may bore you to death!! Ha!!! I am also having some trouble with Photobucket. I just got on there and having a hard time getting it to work on here. How did you start this one? Do you do it just like any regular thread and add pics (SOMEHOW) as you go? Maybe I should just pm you---and not hijack your trippie!!! Which I am loving!!!!!

Count me in over here!! I am excited for you to have a PTR!! I too, have considered doing one,but....eeeeeeehhhhh!!! I don't know!! Once I got started I may bore you to death!! Ha!!! I am also having some trouble with Photobucket. I just got on there and having a hard time getting it to work on here. How did you start this one? Do you do it just like any regular thread and add pics (SOMEHOW) as you go? Maybe I should just pm you---and not hijack your trippie!!! Which I am loving!!!!!

Welcome! :) Man, I am starting to develop a reputation for bamboozling innocent DISers to start PTRs left and right!!!

I am also SO not a fan of photobucket, but I tolerate it...

But anyway, you should join the club and start a PTR, we can all bore one another to death! Just start yourself a thread on the Pre Tip Report board, and don't forget to send me a link so I can start following it! :)

Chapter 4. How about some photos???

Well, I wasn't going to post photos, namely because I like anonymity. With something as political as this message board, you can't ever be too careful. My biggest fear is to find myself in the parks somewhere, happily munching on a Premium Mickey Bar, and to have someone accost me, siting the date and time that I posted, in reply to one of those more random threads, that I don't like Mickey Bars, and find them vastly overrated.

While it is true that I do not care for these Mickey bars, I figured hiding behind my digital wall would be a safe way to reserve my right, should I ever wish to, to eat a Mickey Bar in peace... even though, now that you're wondering I do NOT care for Mickey bars, and prefer instead chocolate covered bananas. :banana:

(I probably should mention at this point that I am completely irrational about pretty much everything.)

Well, anyway, I have decided to cast aside these irrational fears and show my face to the world! (Ok, or to the few people who stumble over to this report. :P )

... Now. I pondered for a while, what photograph should I use to introduce myself? It should be one in which I look nice. Preferably one take at Disney, so we can keep it in context. I looked through my available options, which I found lacking, and came up with the solution.

I will give you, my loyal readers, the ultimate treat. I will show you the most horrid-disney-related photograph of me that exists.

Why? Because I find, as with most things in life, if you set the bar low, there is only room for improvement. I will show you this picture now, and later when you see another picture, you'll think "Oh, well now, she isn't quite so bad as I thought."

OK. Enough rambling, it's time to put my money where my mouth is. It's time to show you, probably the most unique disney-pic of myself I could muster.

MVMCP.jpg

Ok, ok. Now, I guess I'll tell you a little bit about this monstrocity. This was taken in 2007 while I was a part of the College Program. Those of you who have attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party might recognize this as the costume the CMs wear when workign at the event. This is the ONLY photo that exists of me in this garb. After working the party until midnight, I arrived home at somwhere around 1:30 or 2 to my CP apartment, and sent this pic to DBF, who had heard tell of the horrendus outfit, and demanded to see it. If the outfit wasn't bad enough, you can see that my hair is a total mess, and if you look real close, you can see the hot chocolate which spilled all down the apron while serving free cookies and cocoa for 5 hours on end.

So, folks, that is me, in all my radiant glory. Sometimes it is hard to go though life being as stunnely beautiful as the above photograph suggests... but somehow I make it through the day. :rotfl:

Now, another intro: My DBF.
He is an absolute riot, and I love him so much. :lovestruc We met when I started college, and started dating the summer before I stared the College Program. By the time I had to leave for Florida for the semester, I didn't want to go! We decided to try the long-distance thing, and toughed it out. After all, it was only 5 months... He even got to come visit me while I was there! Now, flash foward a few years, we share an apartment and a cat. This upcoming trip will be our third together. He, like I said before, is not a huge fan of Disney, but he tolerates it because he knows how much I love it. Infact, when I was talking to him about adding an extra day to our trip, I was shocked when he flat out said "No. Absolutely not." When I said "why not, you won't even talk about it?" His answer was "Well, I figure we'll end up adding the day anyway. If I don't say no for a while, you'll add the day and than try to talk me into adding another week. I figure if I say no for a while, you'll be happy to just add the one day." :rolleyes: what can I say. The man knows me. :)

Here is a shot of us "way back when" in our first WDW trip together, 2007:

castle.jpg

So there you have, the main cast. Maybe I'll get into the supporting cast later on this evening. I have had the WORST insomnia lately. :thumbsup2

Great update! Love the MVMCP garb! Sadly, I think I could top that... but I don't dare... yet! Let's just say, one year I thought the "adult" Alice in Wonderland outfit would be "cute" ....:rolleyes:

Holy Moly....you are soooo funny!! I was laughing out loud!! madimom...you are hysterical as well!! Thanks ladies.. I needed the belly laugh.. And i love the apron!!!

Great update! Love the MVMCP garb! Sadly, I think I could top that... but I don't dare... yet! Let's just say, one year I thought the "adult" Alice in Wonderland outfit would be "cute" ....:rolleyes:

HAHA... the "adult" disney costumes are RARELY a good idea. Actually, I saw quite an interesting "adult Alice" at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party last year... two young boys, dressed as Mad Hatters, and Adult Alice, chasing them around, looking like she'd be more comfortable on a film set (you know, one of THOSE film sets!) than running around Ariel's Grotto. :rotfl:

Holy Moly....you are soooo funny!! I was laughing out loud!! madimom...you are hysterical as well!! Thanks ladies.. I needed the belly laugh.. And i love the apron!!!

Ya know, if you like the Christmas Cosutme so much, maybe I should post some of the everyday costume I had to wear while I worked at Disney. Picture a costume that looks Amish from the waist down, and Mexican from the waist up.... stunning, trust me. :laughing:

HAHA... the "adult" disney costumes are RARELY a good idea. Actually, I saw quite an interesting "adult Alice" at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party last year... two young boys, dressed as Mad Hatters, and Adult Alice, chasing them around, looking like she'd be more comfortable on a film set (you know, one of THOSE film sets!) than running around Ariel's Grotto. :rotfl:

I too should have been on that set! Now I look back and say "WHAT!?" :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter