House Hunters - now I've heard it all

Let's add in all those couples who absolutely cannot abide a bathroom without a double vanity... how on earth will they both get ready for work??

I'll type reallllllyyyyyy slowly in case any of them are reading: You take turns!!! One person gets up a little earlier and gets ready. Then, when the first person is done, there's all that room for the second person.

I love the show; I love looking at all the homes and at what's typical where. But the people on the show are enough to drive you to drink!

I'm going to start a drinking game.

Drink everytime a couple looks at a walk-in closet and the wife says to her husband, "but where are you going to put your clothes?"

Drink every time a couple walks into a kitchen and someone says "I can just picture myself cooking here."

Drink every time a couple says a space would be perfect for entertaining or dinner parties.

I'll add one more:

"This is a great space for entertaining."

Or any use of the word "space." I'd be drunk in 5 minutes!

There was one show where a woman HATED toilet paper holders attached to the wall, and she also hated houses that had a lot of electrical outlets. Aren't those a good thing?

emer95 said:
I'll add one more:

"This is a great space for entertaining."

Or any use of the word "space." I'd be drunk in 5 minutes!

There was one show where a woman HATED toilet paper holders attached to the wall, and she also hated houses that had a lot of electrical outlets. Aren't those a good thing?
I've also seen an episode where the woman hates a formal dinning room. Seriously? Can she just use it for some other purpose?

Shows like this have ruined the housing market. Buyers have unrealistic expectations. I built a home eight years ago and we were transferred five years later. I was so frustrated by potential buyers telling me the fixtures were dated, etc. the family that ended up buying the house didn't like my black granite counters and replaced them with a different color! Such waste! We had stainless appliances, but they replaced them with a more upscale brand.

Very frustrating!

I'm watching it too. What a nutter! She also gasps with horror when a horse drawn carriage goes by.

They must have buckets of cash. $500,000 for a vacation home, and she doesn't even work? Wow!

She may be a nutter, but they have done something right. Good for them.

I hope to heavens that when future spoiled homebuyers are sick of granite, that someone comes up with a great use for all the granite that is going to be ripped from homes & tossed. What took earth millions of years to create, will be disposed of after maybe only 20 yrs of use. Very sad. :guilty:

I wish I had a dime for each time someone whines "This kitchen (bathroom, dining room, light fixture.....) IS SO DATED." Well, duh, anything older than one minute ago is "dated".

Or you have the lady who immediate rejected houses because they had shower curtains. She refused to even walk into one bathroom because it had a shower curtain. Of course, maybe she's like my sister, who hates shower curtains to this day because I had her convinced as a kid that the boogy-man was hiding in the bathtub. I'm going to hell for that....I just know it.

Yes, landfills will be full of stainless steel, dark color cabinets, vessel sinks, farmhouse sinks, hardwood floors, etc!

I'm in total agreement with all of what you are saying! Can't stop watching tho...

My favorites:
The woman who had to leave a bathroom because she was getting a headache from the brass around the shower stall.

Or who buys a house just for entertaining? Do these people entertain daily? Who do they entertain that they need to impress so much?

Or the woman who wouldn't buy a raised ranch because she didn't want to have to make a decision on whether to go upstairs or down everytime she came in the front door. I lived in a raised ranch at that time, & my co-workers & I had a lot of fun with it. They would ask me when I left if I was getting a headstart on my decision yet before I got to my front door. :rolleyes1

Randi said:
I'm in total agreement with all of what you are saying! Can't stop watching tho...

My favorites:
The woman who had to leave a bathroom because she was getting a headache from the brass around the shower stall.

Or who buys a house just for entertaining? Do these people entertain daily? Who do they entertain that they need to impress so much?

Or the woman who wouldn't buy a raised ranch because she didn't want to have to make a decision on whether to go upstairs or down everytime she came in the front door. I lived in a raised ranch at that time, & my co-workers & I had a lot of fun with it. They would ask me when I left if I was getting a headstart on my decision yet before I got to my front door. :rolleyes1

Hahaha thays funny! DH and I joke when we see a nice house that it would be great for entertaining! Still can't stop watching!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards

DisneyCrazyMomma said:
:rotfl2:

I was watching one a couple weeks ago where this couple and their young child were searching for a house. They had a fairly big budget, she didn't work. He wanted to be on the north side of town, close to work. She wanted to be on the south side of town, so she could be closer to her sister. The looked at three gorgeous homes... one where he could see his work, one right in the middle of the two, and one close to her sister. She kept whining, saying "but we're so far from my sister" and you can guess what house they bought. He was going to drive 1.5 hours each way to work, so she could stay home and play with her sister. Ugh, I wanted to smack her. :rotfl:

I remember that one! I think they were in Utah, maybe Salt Lake City, weren't they? She was being really ridiculous. I'll hold her while you smack her if you do the same for me!

There was another one a few weeks ago with a couple in their early 30's who had a girl and twin boys. They had what looked to me to be a really nice house in northern Virginia, Springfield I think. Anyway, she just had to have a bigger house with all of the bells and whistles. He was trying to get her to stay within their budget, but this pampered princess was having nothing to do with that! They finally bought the built to order house and went $150,000 over budget by the time she added all of her "must have" extras. Her husband was so whipped that it was ridiculous. Then she put a really tacky day care sign in their front yard. I'm betting that the neighborhood association made her take that that down PDQ.

My most overused phrases are:

Open space or open concept
Wood floors
Popcorn ceilings
Granite countertops
Stainless appliances
Space for entertaining
Man cave/man room

I don't know why I keep watching this show, but it sucks me in every time. I just love looking in other houses and finding out what homes cost in other parts of the country. I remember years ago when HH was pretty much only showing houses in Southern California, and they wouldn't show the prices. Used to drive me crazy. LOL!!!

I've been watching all the property shows again recently. I saw that Utah episode too. All of them are pretty ridiculous. The thing is, when shooting, they already have an offer on the house they pick. The other two are just for show.

I was just watching an episode on line, and the husband was making me crazy. He absolutely had to have a 1/2 bath for his guests...and was happier with a home with a 1/2 bath (e.g. 2 1/2 baths total), than he was with a 3 full bath home. Really? LOL! He was obsessed with that 1/2 bath. His guests simply could not use a bath that he or his family might use.

Some people are just nuts.

Oh, and the ones who move to a foreign country and MUST have an apartment with at least one extra bedroom for when their family comes to visit, so they have to go way over budget to get the extra bedroom. Like they're going to be absolutely inundated with guests who want to spend $2000 on airfare and travel for 22 hours to get there, at least more than once.

You all realize this show is staged? They are told to come up with criticism's for each house. They also decide a spin for each family. These families have already chosen their homes. Those comments are all for show.

I still love the show because I love to see the costs of homes in different parts of the country. I love to see homes in other countries. And I love to see if I get any decorating /remodeling ideas LOL

But look at the average high temps as well - my point was that there aren't many times when their vacation of a few days will coincide with one of the relatively few nights when a fire wouldn't be too hot. I thought she way overreacted about the fireplace.

She was also an idiot about the carriages and I also laughed at the camping part. Really, half a million dollars and all you're going to add is a blow up mattress and a card table?

i live in Charleston and do not have a fireplace. i want one, more because i like the "looks" of them. yes, there are times they can be used. but a fireplace is most definitely not a "necessity" in our climate.

as far as the horse-drawn carriages, has she never visited here?

i watched one recently where a British girl was moving to Australia. she did not have a job, but had found a roommate. she completely railroaded the roommate and got what SHE wanted. the poor roommate got nothing that she wanted.

I also remember an episode where the couple had a baby. The husband was adamant that they didn't get a house with stairs because of the baby. Every time he saw a house with stairs, he'd get all concerned.

My husband and I were wondering what part of the country he came from where they obviously didn't make baby gates. It was as if he intended for her to be a baby forever.

I'm going to start a drinking game.

Drink everytime a couple looks at a walk-in closet and the wife says to her husband, "but where are you going to put your clothes?"

Drink every time a couple walks into a kitchen and someone says "I can just picture myself cooking here."

Drink every time a couple says a space would be perfect for entertaining or dinner parties.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

OMG -you'll be drunk in 30 minutes! Hmmm, sounds like a fun game though. Maybe I'll give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!