Hotel not Motel

peyjax

DIS Veteran
I am totally new to Disneyland and now understand how people feel about WDW. There are so many choices. I posted earlier about staying at DLH and then I researched some more. Perhaps we could stay off site and just drive or take the bus to the parks. We would love to get some ideas for a very nice hotel. We would like to be as close as possible, but are not interested in the HOJO or other Motel types.(for now, that could change if the budget changes) We prefer that indoor feeling. Anything that is close that has a nice grounds and a great pool? We do like to spend some time at our Hotel. Thanks for your help

Well, just so ya know, HoJo is a Hotel, with indoor passageways. :) (and has nice grounds and, I hear, a great pool)

All the others I know of are Motels. Except for on-site, those are Hotels.

Just so you know, the HoJo isn't a "motel". I understand that motel means that it has doors that open to outside. The HoJo has indoor corridors and 2 multi-story buildings (one 7 floors, and one 4 floors), and then 4 smaller courtyard buildings. It has the nicest grounds and pool areas in the DLR vacinity.

There are Hiltons and Marriots which may be "fancier", but they won't have nicer grounds, pools or better customer service.

Danger and I have been spending too much time following each other; we're starting to sound the same....

I've stayed at the Hyatt and the Crowne Plaza, both in Garden Grove, a mile or so from DL. Both definitely had the hotel feel since they were interior corridors and high rises. They didn't have what I would call beautiful grounds though. I did enjoy my stay at both, but I prefer being closer to the parks with a free breakfast.

Well, just so ya know, HoJo is a Hotel, with indoor passageways. :) (and has nice grounds and, I hear, a great pool)

All the others I know of are Motels. Except for on-site, those are Hotels.

Thanks! Now I know. I was under the impression it was a motel. Wow for $ it seems like a good bet. I am must admit though that my exprience with the HOJO has not been great. I guess that is why I was skeptical. So the grounds are really that nice? We would definatly be spending some time at the pool. Is crossing the main street that big of a deal??

I am totally new to Disneyland and now understand how people feel about WDW. There are so many choices. I posted earlier about staying at DLH and then I researched some more. Perhaps we could stay off site and just drive or take the bus to the parks. We would love to get some ideas for a very nice hotel. We would like to be as close as possible, but are not interested in the HOJO or other Motel types.(for now, that could change if the budget changes) We prefer that indoor feeling. Anything that is close that has a nice grounds and a great pool? We do like to spend some time at our Hotel. Thanks for your help

If you want a hotel & you want "as close as possible" (with a great pool) then I'd stay on site.

Why drive (park etc.) if you plan on visiting the parks & enjoying the hotel & pool. It kind of defeats the purpose of one of the very cool benefits of a DLR visit. (Walking to the parks, DTD, Hotels & back.....in 5-8 min.) It would make a visit to DLR as logistically challenging as WDW.

Have fun.

We just returned from DL, and our 2nd stay at the HOJO. I highly recommend it. They also give you free parking and free in-room internet! It's about a 5-7 minute walk to DL. I've never stayed on-site, but I've read the walk to them is a good 10 minutes, depending where you are.
Katie

Thanks! Now I know. I was under the impression it was a motel. Wow for $ it seems like a good bet. I am must admit though that my exprience with the HOJO has not been great. I guess that is why I was skeptical. So the grounds are really that nice? We would definatly be spending some time at the pool. Is crossing the main street that big of a deal??

Crossing the street is easy & an easy 10 min. walk. But it is offsite, so if you're used to WDW Deluxe (& prefer "immersion"), HOJO isn't it.

DLR doesn't have Value & Moderate resorts, so the very nice motels on Harbor (like HOJOs) fill that need.

Based on what you're saying, I would honestly stay on-site if it is in the budget. One of things I love about staying on site is the grounds and the pool. Our favorite thing to do is to run back to the hotel during the day and spend a couple of hours at the pool during the peak times at the park. When we stay on-site we tend to do that far more often, as it is so convenient and the pools are so much fun! The couple of times we've stayed off-site (HOJO once and I can't remember where the other time...Carousel, maybe) we didn't even use the pools or spend much time in our rooms because we found it wasn't worth the trip back. We just relaxed in the park. Staying on-site, you can go back to your hotel and still feel like you are "in" Disneyland.
Just my 2 cents!
~mm

Staying on-site, you can go back to your hotel and still feel like you are "in" Disneyland.
Just my 2 cents!
~mm

My own 2 cents on that subject is that unless you're at the GCH, or unless you're always in Tomorrowland when ready to go back to DLH, the walk back to your onsite hotel can rival the walk back even to hojo's (let alone a closer hotel).

I'll admit I'm not that much of a fan of DTD, but especially b/c of their curvy paths (I like a straight path with only one way to choose to go, lol), the walk back even to DLH was obnoxious. And since during our Paradise Pier stay I hadn't figured out the shortcut through Grand Californian, the walk back to PP just bugged me to pieces! So no matter where WE have stayed, we haven't gone back to the hotel for a swim break (or any break...my poor DH and DS, torment them so and they get so cranky! I swear I'll do better on our late May stay at hojo's), mainly b/c the walk makes us nutty.

Also, the value of onsite, well, it isn't a value to me. Not when I get get 20% off hojo for having an AP, or the ent. rate, or get the Anabella for a good rate...really low cost and pretty good, close-enough, h/motel are more valuable to me than *maybe* a bit closer depending on the route you take, for well over 100 and most likely over 200.

That's my 2 cents. :)

It's all opinion-based (well except for the actual distance to each hotel if you get the shortest route figured out). Good we've all got 'em! :goodvibes

Forgot something....for someone like me, I'd rather get a lower cost place and spend the money on fun things I can bring back home (taking magic with me), rather than give it all to a hotel that I have to leave after my trip is done. And I keep a nice little bubble around myself from hotel to park and back, so I try to keep myself "in" disneyland, even if my body is not, LOL).

OK, I'm sure there are more on-point things to say, I just don't have any now so I'll shush. :)

Bumbershoot....I know there are people on both sides of the coin. I was just giving an opinion from the "other" side since there were so many opinions of one side and the OP did mention the DLH. I really enjoyed HOJO when we stayed there and I would go back if our first choice was full or not in the budget. I was just sharing options.

I'm not here to argue about it. :confused3 We've stayed both on and off-site and they both have their advantages. We have started staying at the GCH and it has nothing to do with proximity. The value we get from it is the ambiance, the feeling of immersion, the customer service (ever left your keys in the safe after you check out and the CMs and security are frantically trying to find them for you so you don't miss your flight...yep, that'd be me:rolleyes1 )...I could go on but that's not what this thread is about. ;)

Oh I didn't mean to argue with you! Actually the whole reason I posted what I did was to show the other side of your coin, but I certainly did mean to do it rudely, and I apologize if it came out that way (and obviously it did, or you wouldn't be posting). So I definitely apologize for how I worded my post.

Initially, I did think it was done rudely but when I re-read your post, I changed my mind. :rotfl2: Of course, I re-read it AFTER I'd sent my response so I apologize as well. :thumbsup2

A couple of classy ladies. :thumbsup2

FWIW, i like staying onsite (if i get a deal) AND on Harbor.

Only reason i gave an opinion is that for some WDW'ers, they're used to dropping $300-$400 a night & might be disappointed without the fancy pool slides & perceived "immersion". But both ways are good ways to go.

For me the sticking point is that the hotel must be walking distance.

Only reason i gave an opinion is that for some WDW'ers, they're used to dropping $300-$400 a night & might be disappointed without the fancy pool slides & perceived "immersion". But both ways are good ways to go.

But when the HoJo has finished their new "Pirate Themed" pool with slide this summer, it may really sway some of those die-hard on-site people. Especially if they can stay for as little as $59 a night. ;) :thumbsup2

Love the responses. Keep them coming, I am soaking it all in!:) We do love the immersion aspect of the resorts at WDW, however we have never popped down that much. I am debating it if I can get DHL under $200 or else it will be off site for sure. My Dh loved the look of DHL and all the disney touches. Honestly it looks more disney than most the WDW resorts. For us I guess it is down to a nice place. DH makes fun of me because I am all about ambiance, it does not have to be disney ambiance, but something nice. At the same time we are all about value. LOL I guess my budget has me torn. That is why I turn to the trusty DIS boards for help! By the way is August better than September to visit?? (also affects where we will stay, since DHL is definatly out in August) Thanks:goodvibes

We really do like to stay onsite. However this past year we'll have gone 3 times. Last June we stayed at the Tropicana, in October we stayed at GCH, and this June we're giving HoJo's a try. We would have never been able to go that often if it wasn't for staying offsite.

We also have to get a good deal to stay onsite these days. I just can't justify $400 a night for ANY hotel. I don't care where it's at or how nice it is!

The places on Harbor really do fill the bill. They provide a nice clean place to rest your head at night, within very close walking distance. We haven't been to WDW yet, and I'm sure the whole set up is quite different. Staying onsite is a whole different ball game there, but it is a completely different park!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter